Cairn Valley Railway

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cooper_coleraine

Cairn Valley Railway

Post by cooper_coleraine »

Are any sections of this Moniaive to Dumfries Railway accessible to a rough stuff cyclist?
Paulatic

Re: Cairn Valley Railway

Post by Paulatic »

Nothing that I’m aware of capable of creating a descent route. There’s bits of it used as farm tracks but most of it has disappeared under long grass or thick scrub.
Because the road is so quiet I suspect no ones ever felt the need to use an old line.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cooper_coleraine

Thanks Paul for your helpful reply.The book on the Cairn Valley Light Railway has on its backcover an image of a LM and SR ticket for One bicycle with one seat accompanied by passenger Moniaive to any station up to 30 miles, carriage paid 1/3 and dated 8 Aug. .....another age!
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

The road is a delight. :D Leave Dumfries on the Irongray road. River Cairn on your right. When you reach the Routin bridge swing right and shortly you come to the Irongray Bridge over the Cairn . Beside it is an old railway bridge. If you keep to the left bank it is an undulating road to Moniaive. Cross to the right bank and go through Morrinton village you go over a big (!) climb to Dunscore. You'll hardly see a car. Track bed has long gone though you can spot the line of it.
cooper_coleraine

Many thanks I shall linclude it in my S W tour next year. Your description make the route appeals to me.