Post EHIC - anyone know?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Post EHIC - anyone know?

Postby simonhill » 4 Oct 2020, 12:58pm

In 3 months times the EHIC card (reciprocal healthcare in EU countries) will be no more. Anyone know if anything has been decided or even mooted re reciprocal healthcare.

It probably won't affect most until next summer, but good to know if anything is on the cards.

Jdsk

Re: Post EHIC - anyone know?

Postby Jdsk » 4 Oct 2020, 1:07pm

There's a future agreement for UK state pensioners living abroad before the end of the year.

The S1 form system also continues.

Apart from that TTBOMK nothing has been agreed.

Advice on GOV.UK: "Buy insurance"
https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021
which includes:
"It’s particularly important you get travel insurance with the right cover if you have a pre-existing medical condition. This is because the EHIC scheme covers pre-existing conditions, while many travel insurance policies do not."

Jonathan

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 4 Oct 2020, 7:21pm

I've always bought insurance which has good medical cover. Even with EHIC I always thought that was the advice anyway. In fact I've travelled with just insurance and no EHIC card because I think insurance is more important.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 4 Oct 2020, 7:27pm

To OP.
Yes, it's going to cost you a lot more to travel safely.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 4 Oct 2020, 8:56pm

Jdsk wrote:There's a future agreement for UK state pensioners living abroad before the end of the year.

Jonathan

Do you have a link or citation for this, please?

If I search I only get far more negative results.
That is after 31/12 that there will be no reciprocal health care for pensioners in the EU.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 4 Oct 2020, 8:59pm

"UK pensioners

If you're living in an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland and you receive an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK."

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/moving-abroad/planning-your-healthcare/

Jonathan

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 4 Oct 2020, 9:38pm

Jdsk wrote:"UK pensioners

If you're living in an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland and you receive an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK."

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/moving-abroad/planning-your-healthcare/

Jonathan

Thank you.
But with respect that is what it said on that page for a very long time. Many years.
It makes no mention of Brexit or details of what could happen after the end of the year.

The key word "may" existed before.
And it could become a "may not".

Either way I cannot find a definitive answer to the EHIC card question for UK pensioners living in the EU after 31/12/20.
Maybe it is still under negotiation?

And if you are just a UK resident then you have surely lost it as from date above.
AFAIK.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 4 Oct 2020, 9:44pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:But with respect that is what it said on that page for a very long time. Many years.
It makes no mention of Brexit or details of what could happen after the end of the year.

That page was reviewed on 30 January 2020 and explicitly refers to the key date of 31 December 2020 (the end of the status quo under the Withdrawal Agreement).

TTBOMK there are no further details available of what happens after then, and no official document is going to speculate.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 5 Oct 2020, 10:31am, edited 1 time in total.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 4 Oct 2020, 10:02pm

Thanks. It is interesting. I shall delve further.
I had never heard of an S1 for example.
Only the EHIC.

HarryD

Postby HarryD » 5 Oct 2020, 10:28am

Simon

Looks like if you already are resident in the EU you should be fine if you satisfy certain requirements. Visiting after 1st Jan 2021 is still up in the air

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 5 Oct 2020, 10:30am

Tangled Metal wrote:I've always bought insurance which has good medical cover. Even with EHIC I always thought that was the advice anyway. In fact I've travelled with just insurance and no EHIC card because I think insurance is more important.

I would be wary of this - I think most insurance only covers you for things not included in the EHIC...

So if there is any follow on to or extension of the scheme, it's probably worth signing up to

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 5 Oct 2020, 10:35am

There are a lot of differences between cover provided by the EHIC scheme (which can vary between Member States itself) and most commercial insurance contracts. The big ones for many people could be about preexisting conditions, excluded activities, and nonmedical benefits such as recovery.

Jonathan

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 5 Oct 2020, 10:39am

roubaixtuesday wrote:
I would be wary of this - I think most insurance only covers you for things not included in the EHIC...

And vice versa.

Existing conditions and increasing age will be areas where people will find themselves struggling to get private insurance.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 5 Oct 2020, 11:11am

I am a UK citizen and live here. I have always had annual travel insurance because most of my travelling is not in EU. I got an EHIC to cover me for a couple of European tours. I agree that (some/all) travel insurance says something like use available or EHIC first.

My annual policy runs out in Jan and I will the looking, but will struggle to find anything as good (multi 3 month trips) due to age.

The reason for the post was for me and all others who will be affected. I wondered if anyone had heard anything regarding EHIC - the sort of leak that come out regularly. Pre EU we had a number of reciprocal agreements, will these happen or can something be agreed at EU level. Who knows. Other agreements exist eg Oz and NZ. All we can do is hope, but it looks like sorting this will be at the back of the queue.

I suspect that it will raise it's head and MPs will get interested once European holidays start again and constituents get stuck with huge bills.

Coincidentally and maybe ironically, I am currently thinking of spending some time in Portugal. As it is on the banned list, my travel insurance will be invalid, but I will have an EHIC. This would not be the case post 31/12.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 5 Oct 2020, 11:20am

simonhill wrote: I wondered if anyone had heard anything regarding EHIC - the sort of leak that come out regularly.

At the level of leaks: No. I'm not aware of any preparatory work on continuing the EHIC scheme. But it was/is up and running and the administrative workload was/is very low. It's run by the NHS Business Services Authority. (There will still be some mutual recognition for existing students, which I don't think has been mentioned above.)

And at the level of speculation: This is very low in the priorities for last-minute agreements.

Jonathan