Ryde Sputnik 700c shrader valve

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SprokenBroke

Ryde Sputnik 700c shrader valve

Postby SprokenBroke » 6 Oct 2020, 2:21pm

I just bought a Ryde Sputnik 700c rim that was advertised as drilled for presta valve but it's an 8mm hole for schrader. Should I be concerned about the extra weakness over the long term or is it an advantage to be able to fit both types. I'm not going on expedition with this but it will probably do a lot of miles mostly on the road with some inevitable off road rough terrain.

djb

Re: Ryde Sputnik 700c shrader valve

Postby djb » 6 Oct 2020, 2:51pm

I can't imagine thar rim strength is an issue, and while I've never used one, there are those shraeder to presta adapter thingees that fit in. You must be able to find some at a store.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 6 Oct 2020, 4:48pm

I think all Sputniks come drilled for schraeder valves. I'm on my 3rd such wheelset. Never been an issue and I do use it offroad rather alot.
Reducer spacer thingybobs are available to stop the presta valve wobbling about. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F6Z3M8X/ ... FFb8PMW2VM
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

pwa

Postby pwa » 6 Oct 2020, 4:53pm

Strong rims so I wouldn't worry.

Perhaps these are what you need.
https://spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s119p4426/ ... le-Reducer

SprokenBroke

Postby SprokenBroke » 6 Oct 2020, 11:30pm

When I say I won't be using it for an expedition I mean I won't be crossing the Sahara but I do plan to use it to tour the UK and Europe so it will be bearing some weight for an indefinite period. The sputnik is not a super wide rim, just 25mm so the valve hole is about a third of the width of the rim. It looks like a weak spot. Am I overreacting? :)

SprokenBroke

Postby SprokenBroke » 6 Oct 2020, 11:44pm

The Ryde website says that the valve hole is 6.5mm https://www.ryde.nl/sputnik.

Sjscycles advertises it as drilled for presta https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tape/3 ... im-silver/

djb

Postby djb » 7 Oct 2020, 1:56am

SprokenBroke wrote:When I say I won't be using it for an expedition I mean I won't be crossing the Sahara but I do plan to use it to tour the UK and Europe so it will be bearing some weight for an indefinite period. The sputnik is not a super wide rim, just 25mm so the valve hole is about a third of the width of the rim. It looks like a weak spot. Am I overreacting? :)

I believe you are. Think of all the touring rims out there with Schrader holes out there. If it were a real problem it would be common knowledge.
Rim issues tend to be hairline cracks at spokehole areas, overtensioning, or thinned out rim brake areas, or a whack which can do in a spoke, not to mention under tensioned spokes leading to busted spokes.

m-gineering

Postby m-gineering » 7 Oct 2020, 12:04pm

SprokenBroke wrote:The Ryde website says that the valve hole is 6.5mm https://www.ryde.nl/sputnik.

Sjscycles advertises it as drilled for presta https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tape/3 ... im-silver/

Unless you order a production run, it is a crap shoot what you get from Ryde. It's just what they have in stock, valvehole diameter and drilling could be anything. And they are not really bike people, so these things are difficult to discuss ;)
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Oct 2020, 12:51pm

One of mine came Presta but I drilled out to Schrader, the other Schrader. I needed a good drill as the alloy was hard.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 7 Oct 2020, 2:11pm

Don't some folk reckon that schrader is better for touring rims so that you can use either sort of tube - with the adaptors if you put a presta valve in?
Sweep

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Oct 2020, 2:15pm

Sweep wrote:Don't some folk reckon that schrader is better for touring rims so that you can use either sort of tube - with the adaptors if you put a presta valve in?

The "adapters" are really just to plug the gap around the bigger hole, should you use presta. You could use any thing even blutak?

djb

Postby djb » 7 Oct 2020, 2:32pm

Sweep wrote:Don't some folk reckon that schrader is better for touring rims so that you can use either sort of tube - with the adaptors if you put a presta valve in?

In fact I considered doing this before my Latin America trips, wondering about availability of presta 26in tubes for tires in the 2in range, but didn't do it in the end and took three spare tubes with me, but was lucky and didn't have flats or need to source prestas.

m-gineering

Postby m-gineering » 7 Oct 2020, 3:33pm

mercalia wrote:
The "adapters" are really just to plug the gap around the bigger hole, should you use presta. You could use any thing even blutak?

Current tubes with molded in valves (BITD valves were bolted in the tube) last better if the tube around the valve isn't pushed in a too big a hole. Whether this is a factor depends on your rimtape and the tyre pressure
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Oct 2020, 5:07pm

m-gineering wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Current tubes with molded in valves (BITD valves were bolted in the tube) last better if the tube around the valve isn't pushed in a too big a hole. Whether this is a factor depends on your rimtape and the tyre pressure

not sure that applies. If my memory is correct the few presta rims I have seen that are double walled have the inner wall valve hole , any way larger than the presta size.

pwa

Postby pwa » 7 Oct 2020, 8:39pm

I have broken wheels, and sometimes it has been the rims that have given. But they have never failed at the valve hole. I think the chances of those rims failing in that way are very small.