Ryde Sputnik 700c shrader valve

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mumbojumbo

Re: Ryde Sputnik 700c shrader valve

Post by mumbojumbo »

Schrader valves are used on millions of mountain bikes,some of which are used in very daring ways.Big jumps etcHad there been issues I suspect that there would be a wholesale transfer to presta valves.You have nothing to fear.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

pwa wrote:I have broken wheels, and sometimes it has been the rims that have given. But they have never failed at the valve hole. I think the chances of those rims failing in that way are very small.

Actually it is not uncommon. What it takes is a big fat road tyre (say 55-60mm) run at high pressures. SIlly, because why carry all that heavy rubber around when you're not allowing it to flex ;). But then the forces on the rim walls can be more than the rim will stand, and the valvehole area is the weak spot with the most holes together. First thing you'll notice is bumpy braking
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
pwa

Post by pwa »

m-gineering wrote:
pwa wrote:I have broken wheels, and sometimes it has been the rims that have given. But they have never failed at the valve hole. I think the chances of those rims failing in that way are very small.

Actually it is not uncommon. What it takes is a big fat road tyre (say 55-60mm) run at high pressures. SIlly, because why carry all that heavy rubber around when you're not allowing it to flex ;). But then the forces on the rim walls can be more than the rim will stand, and the valvehole area is the weak spot with the most holes together. First thing you'll notice is bumpy braking

Ah, so that's why it has never been a problem for me. I run tyres that are either narrow and firm or a bit wider and less firm. Never wide and very firm. As you say, what is the point of wide tyres at high pressures?
SprokenBroke

Post by SprokenBroke »

m-gineering wrote:
mercalia wrote:
The "adapters" are really just to plug the gap around the bigger hole, should you use presta. You could use any thing even blutak?

Current tubes with molded in valves (BITD valves were bolted in the tube) last better if the tube around the valve isn't pushed in a too big a hole. Whether this is a factor depends on your rimtape and the tyre pressure

So it would be a good idea to use a shrader tube? How common is a shrader 700c tube? I tend to associate 700c with presta and mountain bikes with shrader. Mountain bike rims are pretty wide. My front wheel is a presta it would be a nuisance to have to carry both types.
SprokenBroke

Post by SprokenBroke »

mumbojumbo wrote:Schrader valves are used on millions of mountain bikes,some of which are used in very daring ways.Big jumps etcHad there been issues I suspect that there would be a wholesale transfer to presta valves.You have nothing to fear.

Mountain bike rims are wide. I've traveled a fair bit on an aluminum framed mountain bike until I read on the internet that using an aluminum frame is a bad idea. What valves do expensive 26" wheeled expedition bikes use?
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

SprokenBroke wrote:
So it would be a good idea to use a shrader tube?

No matter, use whatever you like, Schraeder, Presta or Dunlop. I like Presta and don't like Schraeder and hate Dunlop, but we all get there ;)
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Unread postby SprokenBroke » 8 Oct 2020, 6:43pm

mumbojumbo wrote:
Schrader valves are used on millions of mountain bikes,some of which are used in very daring ways.Big jumps etcHad there been issues I suspect that there would be a wholesale transfer to presta valves.You have nothing to fear.

Mountain bike rims are wide. I've traveled a fair bit on an aluminum framed mountain bike until I read on the internet that using an aluminum frame is a bad idea. What valves do expensive 26" wheeled expedition bikes use?

Schrader or presta I suppose.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

SprokenBroke wrote:I just bought a Ryde Sputnik 700c rim that was advertised as drilled for presta valve but it's an 8mm hole for schrader. Should I be concerned about the extra weakness over the long term or is it an advantage to be able to fit both types. I'm not going on expedition with this but it will probably do a lot of miles mostly on the road with some inevitable off road rough terrain.

Sputnik is a strong rim and is unlikely to break even if the valve hole is a fraction bigger. Use an adaptor of some kind in the rim if you use presta valves, else the valve stem can more easily be torn out of the tube if it is not supported correctly.

FWIW whilst folk prefer different types of valves for all kinds of reasons, I think that Presta is nearly always preferable to Schrader on a bicycle. I have several times in the recent past had new Schrader valve tubes that very slowly leaked air in the valve insert. In a 'for want of a nail' type way, this resulted in someone thinking they needed a new tube, trying to remove the IGH wheel from one bike, and they did it wrong which damaged the brake, the hub bearings and the IGH itself.... :roll:

IME if you get a typical presta valve (without a removable insert) it either

a) works reliably (seals consistently) or
b) you break it (eg by snapping the top off or tearing the valve out of the tube).

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know if you have done b) or not, or to work out how to avoid doing the same thing again another time. If you don't have a core that unscrews you don't need a special tool to remove/retighten it. You also don't need a pump with a perfect seal and a check valve in it in order to be able to inflate the tyre via a presta valve either. IME the result overall is that Presta is a more consistent and reliable arrangement.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~