Morecambe Bay Cycle Way (Sustrans)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
soapbox

Morecambe Bay Cycle Way (Sustrans)

Post by soapbox »

After a couple of recommendations from friends about the 'Bay Cycle Way' that starts at Barrow-in-Furness and ends at Glasson Dock, skirting Morecambe Bay, I ordered a copy of Sustrans cycle route map. It's absolutely useless. The map is a complete mess, with no detail, and makes traversing even a small town like Ulverston look like a nightmare. At £9.99 + £2.95 for p&p (which is way more than p&p should have cost) I don't think I've ever felt so insulted or ripped off. How do Sustrans get away with this? I was expecting a booklet, not the sort of map that local authorities give away for free as tourist information.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for this route?
cycleruk

Re: Morecambe Bay Cycle Way (Sustrans)

Post by cycleruk »

Search Google and there are GPS files for this route.
https://cycle.travel/route/bay_cycle_way/guide

If you want a map then you could plot your own route on an O.S. map if the Sustrans isn't suitable.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I rode it a couple of years ago, though the other way, Glasson to Walney. Perfectly doable with a gpx/kml/etc. file on a phone or tablet. I cut a bit off by taking a train from Arnside to Grange, which is a five-minute ride, and likely to be free since there's no opportunity to buy a ticket. Barrow is a very odd, edge-of-the-world sort of place. Worth a look at Piel Island and castle if the ferry's running.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

I made a few notes based on responses I had to the same topic earlier this year as follows. .

Unexpected hill between Cartmell and Grange-over-Sands, not long, but steep.
Hill between Ulverston and Greenodd.
Off-road Greenodd to Low Wood a bit rough.
Can avoid hill at Low Wood by taking B5278. OK.
Millside off-road to Levens fairly narrow. - ( This helps us in particular because of width of recumbent trike)

I hope this helps and sympathise with your comment about Sustrans. We have a map which led us astray because the traffic-free route shown didn't exist, not even a sheep track!

Best of luck
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Thanks for the comments.

I was thinking of doing it in reverse, too.

I don't do GPS technology, so I'll probably end up transferring the route onto an OS map, but for £9.99 that shouldn't be necessary, I don't think.

Agree about Barrow being an odd place. Piel Island is somewhere we tried to get to last year (a car/walking trip) but the ferry didn't seem to be running when we got there. I'd be very surprised if they're open for business at the moment, but I'd like to visit one day.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

soapbox wrote:
I don't do GPS technology,

May be time to consider I think (I poo-pooed GPS for ages but am a convert) - will save your blood pressure - a doddle to follow dedicated cycle routes with a GPS - you often don't need to actually even input a route - it's all shown.
Sweep
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Sweep wrote:
soapbox wrote:

May be time to consider I think (I poo-pooed GPS for ages but am a convert) - will save your blood pressure - a doddle to follow dedicated cycle routes with a GPS - you often don't need to actually even input a route - it's all shown.

I'm sure, but I like actual maps too much -even if that means occasionally getting lost. I like the relationship I have with things like maps and books, and older bikes for that matter. I have a mild hatred of technology.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

soapbox wrote:
Sweep wrote:
soapbox wrote:

I'm sure, but I like actual maps too much -even if that means occasionally getting lost. I like the relationship I have with things like maps and books, and older bikes for that matter. I have a mild hatred of technology.

My Etrex 20 is often plonked on older bikes of mine - it demands no clever "integration".
This sort of tech might seem to make things more stressful, but I find the opposite - when relying on maps for long pedals I would often subconsciously ride hard as I knew a stop was inevitably going to come up while I peered at the map. With the route sorted, I find I can just drift on at a far more relaxed pace. Counter-intuitive I know, but I find it the case.
Sweep