Cycle Jacket, Breathable & Waterproof

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thirdcrank

Re: Cycle Jacket, Breathable & Waterproof

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Oct 2020, 10:10am

As I have two Wilko's within easy waking distance that's useful information but I couldn't find it on their www - searching not made easier by not knowing what Wilko's call their own-label version.

The bit about soda crystals and scum is also interesting because I do find an extra rinse worthwhile.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 24 Oct 2020, 10:19am

Many Thanks ph
either i wasn't looking hard enough online or they no longer do it.
Sweep

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Oct 2020, 10:46am

Sweep wrote:Many Thanks ph

I wonder if it works to clean specs: I hadn't seen that by PH. My only excuse is that I began to post, then spent some time trawling the Wilko's and Yorkshire Trading sites.

PH

Postby PH » 24 Oct 2020, 12:58pm

Did you find it?
There's actually a link to it from your link....
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-origi ... /p/0412410

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 24 Oct 2020, 1:10pm

PH wrote:

Did you find it?
There's actually a link to it from your link....
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-origi ... /p/0412410

No I didn't,so many thanks.
Will be getting some.
Sweep

Thehairs1970

Postby Thehairs1970 » 24 Oct 2020, 4:31pm

climo wrote:I've never understood why cyclists don't wear jackets with hoods as water just comes down your neck. Historically hoods obstructed vision but nowadays hoods can be flexible enough that that won't happen esp if you're wearing a helmet over the hood.

I'm not sure you should wear your helmet over your hood. The material of waterproofs is quite slippery and I would think this would allow a helmet to move during impact. My wife commutes in a Proviz jacket. Not the most breathable but glows like the sun when caught in headlights.

Thatsme

Postby Thatsme » 24 Oct 2020, 8:11pm

As I'm the person who started this post, I will say that the jacket i bought, this one in black:
https://www.freewheel.co.uk/madison-roa ... t-varcl905

It is size XL, turned up today and is way too small, I am not built like a hill climber, I'm 15 half stone & over 6ft tall. Even so the sizing was terrible, although the jacket looked well made, now returned. I have Paramo walking jackets that are great but not built for super heated cycling, even though they are waterproof and breathable to an extent.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 25 Oct 2020, 5:43am

Ah, so still on the look out.
The best breathable waterproof jacket i have is an altura varium i got in a sale from a curious nonbike shop for around £50, original price over £100. Not sure if it's still done. Can someone tell me/us?
It's supremely adaptable from autumn to early summer as it has zippable vents for when it"s not actually raining. I swear that with an aldi merino base layer under it it is pretty much a joy to ride in the rain in it. Brings a smile to my face. Once the temperature dips you have to keep moving though - not a jacket for standing around in.
Would really be interested in whether it is still available or the name of whatever succeeed it.

Edit, this would be mine I think, though mine is black.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-varium- ... oof-jacket

Maybe worth looking on ebay for a lightly used old one?
Sweep

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 25 Oct 2020, 7:11am

Thatsme wrote:
It is size XL, turned up today and is way too small.

One of the differences between "cycle clothing" and other outdoor clothing seems to be an assumption that cyclists are all whippets. Another is there's much less choice, do as it's the same rain I'd look around for "normal" waterproofs that work on a bike. I use an OMM Kammleika jacket, for example (I don't like many cycling jackets as I don't use rear pockets on upwrongs and they're both useless and uncomfortable on the 'bent).

If you look at the lighter end of the market there's now quite a selection, including in Actual People Sized Sizes! My wife (1.73 tall and shoulders too broad for most ladies' jackets) recently got a Marmot Bantamweight in a bargain bin and it seems a pretty good cycling jacket. Very light and packs down to nothing, stretchy, okay but not brilliant hood, 2 decent front pockets.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

chesterpete

Postby chesterpete » 25 Oct 2020, 8:40am

I'm a big fan of the Altura Pocket Rocket. I'm on my third one.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 25 Oct 2020, 9:21am

chesterpete wrote:I'm a big fan of the Altura Pocket Rocket. I'm on my third one.

They're that delicate?
are we talking condom durability?
Sweep

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Oct 2020, 9:39am

Sweep wrote:The best breathable waterproof jacket i have is an altura varium i got in a sale from a curious nonbike shop for around £50, original price over £100. Not sure if it's still done. Can someone tell me/us?

Not on the company website or the first three retailers that I checked.

Jonathan

chesterpete

Postby chesterpete » 25 Oct 2020, 6:56pm

Sweep wrote:
chesterpete wrote:I'm a big fan of the Altura Pocket Rocket. I'm on my third one.

They're that delicate?
are we talking condom durability?

Ive given them a hard time. If you can get 15 years out of 3 condoms you are doing something wrong. :D

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 27 Oct 2020, 8:50am

Jdsk wrote:
Sweep wrote:The best breathable waterproof jacket i have is an altura varium i got in a sale from a curious nonbike shop for around £50, original price over £100. Not sure if it's still done. Can someone tell me/us?

Not on the company website or the first three retailers that I checked.

Jonathan

Nor me though I did find some new at reasonable prices on the bay.
Since it was so good (I think it has other fans) it seems odd that they appear to have dropped the brand/line name.
I assume it has a successor - if anyone knows I would be interested to know what the new name is/what the differences are.
Sweep

roberts8

Postby roberts8 » 27 Oct 2020, 11:54am

I have a paclite gortex which is ok in winter but if rains it gets sweaty. I have a 25 year old Buffalo windshirt which is showing signs if wear but with pit zips and wicking base layers it has been great. I will probably buy another but a size up as I have expanded a bit over the years.