Cycle Jacket, Breathable & Waterproof

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thatsme

Cycle Jacket, Breathable & Waterproof

Post by Thatsme »

Any thoughts on a cycle Jacket, which is breathable and waterproof, for commutes of 30 miles and less? Thanks.
Last edited by Thatsme on 21 Oct 2020, 2:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
roubaixtuesday

Re: Cycle Jacket, Breathable & Waterproof

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Thatsme wrote:Any thoughts on a cycle Jacket, which is breathable and waterproof, for commutes of 30miles and less? Thanks.

I recently bought a "showers pass" jacket for commuting. Highly recommended albeit eye wateringly expensive, alas.

I'm not sure there's any such thing as a truly breathable cycling jacket, my experience is that vents are essential, and much more important than "breathability" of the fabric.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I have a Boardman rain jacket from Halfords which seems to work quite well, for a budget jacket.
NUKe

Post by djb »

roubaixtuesday wrote:I recently bought a "showers pass" jacket for commuting. Highly recommended albeit eye wateringly expensive, alas.

I'm not sure there's any such thing as a truly breathable cycling jacket, my experience is that vents are essential, and much more important than "breathability" of the fabric.

My older showers pass model is a moderately priced one, but the well thought out vents , good neck fitting and lower back section have worked very well for me over the years, although invariably I eventually get wet inside a certain amount.

Good vents and arm zips make a difference.
I'm sure you brits have oodles of good biking rain jackets.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

roubaixtuesday wrote:I'm not sure there's any such thing as a truly breathable cycling jacket, my experience is that vents are essential, and much more important than "breathability" of the fabric.

Should have said when I posted previously I agree with roubaixtuesday on this.
particularly when its raining. what you wear underneath can make all the difference as well a good base layer will wick moisture away from the skin, and stop you feeling clammy.
Also be aware that breathable materials can work in the opposite direction, for example my Berghaus walking Jacket stood up admirably to the worst day of rainfall on record 3/10/20 I was comfortable outdoors, took it off and hung it over a chair in the kitchen, to dry came back 1/2 hour later and the reverse temp gradient had caused the osmosis to happen in the opposite direction.
NUKe

Post by Thatsme »

I have just bought this jacket, It hasn't arrived yet but got a good review . I bought it for £66 . Madison Apex Waterproof Storm Jacket review - BikeRadar
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/cloth ... et-review/
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thatsme wrote:I have just bought this jacket, It hasn't arrived yet but got a good review . I bought it for £66 . Madison Apex Waterproof Storm Jacket review - BikeRadar
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/cloth ... et-review/

The price I've highlighted is half the rrp in your link. Where did you buy?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Wicking base layers also allow any ingress, particularly at the neck, to wick down and get you damp all over in Proper Rain™...

And in Proper Rain™ vents become a problem too, because if moist air can get out of them water can generally get in.

Paramo stuff is an interesting alternative to conventional waterproofs, they're not technically waterproof in terms of hydrostatic head, working by keeping water on the outside of the liner with a mix of clever construction and capillary action and this makes it effectively rainproof. The downside is the liner is similar in warmth to a light fleece so if you're working hard or it's a nice day they're rather on the warm side. Also relatively heavy and bulky if you're not wearing it.

Breathable/waterproof stuff working in reverse? Not really (unless it's vintage Mk 1 Goretex that needs a wash) if you're wearing it, and note that (Paramo excepted) the fabrics only let vapour through, not liquid water.

Note that fit will be important. We wear garments rather than fabrics and performance will be affected by fit, so someone loving a Brand X Wet-Be-Gone doesn't mean it'll work well for you if they're a rather different shape and wear different stuff underneath.

For a good discussion on how the fabrics work and getting the best out of them see https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/waterproof_breathable_fabric_-_explained-4556

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a couple of Goretex jackets, and all though they are 100% waterproof, I sweat buckets in them.
Therefore I only wear them in the cold weather generally, or only for brief spells during showers taking it off as and when I can.

One of mine is a Paclite, and screws up small enough to fit in a pocket.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

+1 for Paclite, but I've only ever ridden in the rain in Lycra kit.

Back when I was commuting every day (back then we called it "going to school") my rain gear was a cape and sou'wester over blazer and flannels.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
climo

Post by climo »

I've never understood why cyclists don't wear jackets with hoods as water just comes down your neck. Historically hoods obstructed vision but nowadays hoods can be flexible enough that that won't happen esp if you're wearing a helmet over the hood.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

climo wrote:I've never understood why cyclists don't wear jackets with hoods as water just comes down your neck. Historically hoods obstructed vision but nowadays hoods can be flexible enough that that won't happen esp if you're wearing a helmet over the hood.

As has been identified, a lot of the problem of riding in waterproofs is getting clammy inside. A hood blocks a lot of venting at the neck.
Aside from that I just don't really like hoods, so it needs to be fairly biblical for me to use one.

I prefer hats. I use a Tilley T1 bucket hat which is remarkably effective at keeping rain at bay, including neck and eyes. In winter I have a rather ridiculous looking Rohan Outpost hat (no longer made) which is waterproof, has fleece lining and ear/neck covers and a wide brim. Nul Points for style but works brilliantly.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
PH

Post by PH »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Thatsme wrote:Any thoughts on a cycle Jacket, which is breathable and waterproof, for commutes of 30miles and less? Thanks.

I recently bought a "showers pass" jacket for commuting. Highly recommended albeit eye wateringly expensive, alas.

I've now had mine for three years and am still as impressed with it as when I first bought it. I have the Elite jacket in orange! Mine is eVent material, though I notice they're now using their own, though I agree entirely that it's more to do with the design on the venting that the breathability of the material.
I also have a non cycling specific Parmo jacket, it's good if it's cool enough, or I'm not riding very hard, though it's a bit of a chore to keep it waterproof.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Very happy with with my Endura Luminite jacket and I'd buy another. Appropriate pockets and vents. 475g without the light. About 5y old and just starting to fray.

I don't often use the light but a cable without strain relief failed and of course had to be mended. ; - )

Current version on sale for £70:
https://www.endurasport.com/Luminite-II-Jacket/p/E9067-Black
but mine's yellow.

Jonathan