Cycle Jacket, Breathable & Waterproof

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pjclinch

Re: Cycle Jacket, Breathable & Waterproof

Post by pjclinch »

roberts8 wrote:I have a paclite gortex which is ok in winter but if rains it gets sweaty. I have a 25 year old Buffalo windshirt which is showing signs if wear but with pit zips and wicking base layers it has been great. I will probably buy another but a size up as I have expanded a bit over the years.

I like a lot about the Buffalo Windshirt but I find the standard version a bit short in the body. I had them make me an extra-long one (same length as the Active Lite lined shirt) which works better for me, particularly on a bike. This costs extra, of course, and you want to give them about 12 weeks' warning for a special build, but if it's going to last 25 years maybe worth contemplating.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Nikwax Paramo. Nothing like them. Made really for walking but one of mine is 11y old and I've used it for all my bike tours in that time and for winter cycling etc. It's ultra-breathable but you won't get wet through to your base layer. You've to wash it occasionally in a special detergent.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Thatsme wrote:Any thoughts on a cycle Jacket, which is breathable and waterproof, .

Breathable and waterproof?........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:For me,absolutely nothing i.e.wet and warm.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Nikwax Paramo. Nothing like them. Made really for walking but one of mine is 11y old and I've used it for all my bike tours in that time and for winter cycling etc. It's ultra-breathable but you won't get wet through to your base layer. You've to wash it occasionally in a special detergent.

These have come in up-thread, but note it's not a "special detergent", it's pure soap. That's not just syntax, detergent works to reduce surface tension so it's easier for water to penetrate a fabric weave and and clean it, soap has a very different action. You can use any pure soap to wash Paramo stuff, it doesn't have to their specific Techwash (also mentioned up-thread).
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

cyclop wrote:Breathable and waterproof?........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, quite, but those of us old enough to remember pre-Goretex times will know that while not as breathable as we'd ideally like, modern breathable fabrics are one hell of a lot better than a solid PU coating. Also, bear in mind that one can come back from a ride a bit on the clammy side dressed in nothing but a base layer and shorts: adding another layer and upping the local humidity isn't somehow going to stop that happening!

Pete.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pjclinch wrote:These have come in up-thread, but note it's not a "special detergent", it's pure soap. That's not just syntax, detergent works to reduce surface tension so it's easier for water to penetrate a fabric weave and and clean it, soap has a very different action.

What's the difference, please? Possibly a property of soap that isn't its surfactant action... ?

Thanks

Jonathan
Thatsme

Post by Thatsme »

Just bought an Endura jacket, used on a 17mile cycle and very good. Kept the wind & rain out...zip venting under the armpits..adequate breathability..cost £55.. Got XXL size and fits perfectly..
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-hummvee ... oof-jacket
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote:
pjclinch wrote:These have come in up-thread, but note it's not a "special detergent", it's pure soap. That's not just syntax, detergent works to reduce surface tension so it's easier for water to penetrate a fabric weave and and clean it, soap has a very different action.

What's the difference, please? Possibly a property of soap that isn't its surfactant action... ?

Thanks

Jonathan

here's Nikwax's explanation, though as mentioned upthread other brands of pure soap are just as good
https://www.nikwax.com/usblog/attack-of ... erformance.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thank you... I'm doing a bit more reading.

Jonathan