Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
User avatar
timmitchell
Posts: 165
Joined: 28 Jul 2008, 5:47pm
Location: Saddleworth, West Riding
Contact:

Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby timmitchell » 29 Oct 2020, 12:11pm

Pre Covid I did a mini cruise to Zeebrugge.

Rode from Saddleworth to Hull, one night on the ship a six hour ride around the Southern Netherlands and back to the ferry. Highly recommended,

Once the Covid cloud has lifted I am planning to recreate the experience, again ride to Hull but this time a 'Mini-Cruise' to Rotterdam Europort.

In short does anyone have a a good circular route out from Europort. Hopefully South as it seems less built up, but North would also work.

So I can enjoy the day probably 160 k max but a little shorter would be preferable. At least 120k.

A link to Strava or similar would be ace.

Take care

Tim

Jdsk
Posts: 5280
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby Jdsk » 29 Oct 2020, 12:14pm

EV15 goes south. (Although it isn't beautiful until you've gone a bit further... )

Jonathan

hamster
Posts: 3722
Joined: 2 Feb 2007, 12:42pm

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby hamster » 29 Oct 2020, 12:45pm

I'd be tempted to follow the rivers inland to Nijmegen and then take the train back. There are attractive walled towns like Gorinchem on the way.

nirakaro
Posts: 1206
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 2:01am

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby nirakaro » 29 Oct 2020, 3:57pm

My recollection of coming off the ferry at Europoort is that breakfast options are thin on the ground. Restaurant de Punt at Botlek does nice egg and chips and such. Good coffee. Friendly staff. Sometimes one or two other cycle tourers.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby Cyril Haearn » 29 Oct 2020, 4:43pm

Europoort is at the end of Europe, 40 km from Rotterdam, you could do 80 km there and back past interesting marshalling yards, berthed vessels, fuel stores and the like :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Jdsk
Posts: 5280
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby Jdsk » 29 Oct 2020, 5:10pm

In what sense is Europoort at the end of Europe, other than being on the coast?

Thanks

Jonathan

User avatar
timmitchell
Posts: 165
Joined: 28 Jul 2008, 5:47pm
Location: Saddleworth, West Riding
Contact:

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby timmitchell » 29 Oct 2020, 7:37pm

nirakaro wrote:My recollection of coming off the ferry at Europoort is that breakfast options are thin on the ground. Restaurant de Punt at Botlek does nice egg and chips and such. Good coffee. Friendly staff. Sometimes one or two other cycle tourers.


The beauty of the mini cruise is bed, breakfast and evening meal are all included. So you roll off at 8 in the morning and have till about 5 pm to ride and get back for your meal.

m-gineering
Posts: 172
Joined: 23 May 2015, 12:01pm

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby m-gineering » 30 Oct 2020, 8:02am

timmitchell wrote:Pre Covid I did a mini cruise to Zeebrugge.

Rode from Saddleworth to Hull, one night on the ship a six hour ride around the Southern Netherlands and back to the ferry. Highly recommended,

Once the Covid cloud has lifted I am planning to recreate the experience, again ride to Hull but this time a 'Mini-Cruise' to Rotterdam Europort.

In short does anyone have a a good circular route out from Europort. Hopefully South as it seems less built up, but North would also work.

So I can enjoy the day probably 160 k max but a little shorter would be preferable. At least 120k.

A link to Strava or similar would be ace.

Take care

Tim


A circular route taking in Brabant and Zeeland seems the most logical with the most variety of landscape, but it isn't my patch.

You could try posting (the forum is in dutch but english is fine too) here: https://forum.wereldfietser.nl/index.php
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm

Jdsk
Posts: 5280
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby Jdsk » 30 Oct 2020, 9:27am

Good routes, but more effort on the associated song lyrics and titles would make this a perfect 10.

No-one else attracted by the lure of the sea, or will Tim have to sail this ship alone?

Jonathan

keyboardmonkey
Posts: 779
Joined: 1 Dec 2009, 5:05pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby keyboardmonkey » 30 Oct 2020, 10:05am

Just give me a little time.

m-gineering
Posts: 172
Joined: 23 May 2015, 12:01pm

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby m-gineering » 30 Oct 2020, 10:42am

hamster wrote:I'd be tempted to follow the rivers inland to Nijmegen and then take the train back.


This only works in the summer, as in normal times you can't take a bike on the train during rushhour
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm

willem jongman
Posts: 2092
Joined: 7 Jan 2008, 4:16pm

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby willem jongman » 30 Oct 2020, 11:09am

See here for a route planner: https://en.routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/ Europoort is not the nicest of places, however, with container terminals, oil refineries and chemical plants. And it is large. I don't know if Newcastle would be feasible for you as well, but if so, you can take the ferry to IJmuiden en ride north from there. With all of this, however, you will sadly have to wait for a while.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16600
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby mjr » 30 Oct 2020, 10:27pm

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/189430 is my suggestion for a basis, but it's really only based on a past visit to picturesque Goederede and some guesses.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

LittleGreyCat
Posts: 859
Joined: 7 Aug 2013, 8:31pm

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby LittleGreyCat » 1 Nov 2020, 6:28pm

Looking on the map Europort is on the wrong side of the river from Hook of Holland.

However I recall from our trip between Harwich and the Hook that there were ferries across the river.

Looking at Google Maps shows that there is a Fast Ferry which services a lot of the port near the sea.

If you are arriving in Europort, then, I would suggest that you might want to hop on the Fast Ferry to Hook of Holland and then you can head North on the coastal cycle route which has loads of eateries, past (or through the Hague, past (or through) Amsterdam and if you are looking for a long ride swing round over the bridge to Leystad and back or go further North and swing round via Bolsward and Lemmer then back via Leystad (where you can carry on down or cut back to the coast).

Oops!
Forgot to press the go button.

m-gineering
Posts: 172
Joined: 23 May 2015, 12:01pm

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Postby m-gineering » 2 Nov 2020, 7:26am

LittleGreyCat wrote:Looking on the map Europort is on the wrong side of the river from Hook of Holland.

However I recall from our trip between Harwich and the Hook that there were ferries across the river.

Looking at Google Maps shows that there is a Fast Ferry which services a lot of the port near the sea.

If you are arriving in Europort, then, I would suggest that you might want to hop on the Fast Ferry to Hook of Holland and then you can head North on the coastal cycle route which has loads of eateries, past (or through the Hague, past (or through) Amsterdam and if you are looking for a long ride swing round over the bridge to Leystad and back or go further North and swing round via Bolsward and Lemmer then back via Leystad (where you can carry on down or cut back to the coast).

Oops!
Forgot to press the go button.


And you forgot to look at the original requirement of a 160 km max dayride. Europoort-Bolsward is a 400km roundtrip!

I wouldn't want to start with a ferry which goes every hour (rozenburg-maasluis is probably safer) only to ride in the busiest built-up area of the country
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm