Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
timmitchell

Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Post by timmitchell »

Pre Covid I did a mini cruise to Zeebrugge.

Rode from Saddleworth to Hull, one night on the ship a six hour ride around the Southern Netherlands and back to the ferry. Highly recommended,

Once the Covid cloud has lifted I am planning to recreate the experience, again ride to Hull but this time a 'Mini-Cruise' to Rotterdam Europort.

In short does anyone have a a good circular route out from Europort. Hopefully South as it seems less built up, but North would also work.

So I can enjoy the day probably 160 k max but a little shorter would be preferable. At least 120k.

A link to Strava or similar would be ace.

Take care

Tim
Jdsk

Re: Rotterdam, or anywhere, anywhere but home.

Post by Jdsk »

EV15 goes south. (Although it isn't beautiful until you've gone a bit further... )

Jonathan
hamster

Post by hamster »

I'd be tempted to follow the rivers inland to Nijmegen and then take the train back. There are attractive walled towns like Gorinchem on the way.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

My recollection of coming off the ferry at Europoort is that breakfast options are thin on the ground. Restaurant de Punt at Botlek does nice egg and chips and such. Good coffee. Friendly staff. Sometimes one or two other cycle tourers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Europoort is at the end of Europe, 40 km from Rotterdam, you could do 80 km there and back past interesting marshalling yards, berthed vessels, fuel stores and the like :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

In what sense is Europoort at the end of Europe, other than being on the coast?

Thanks

Jonathan
timmitchell

Post by timmitchell »

nirakaro wrote:My recollection of coming off the ferry at Europoort is that breakfast options are thin on the ground. Restaurant de Punt at Botlek does nice egg and chips and such. Good coffee. Friendly staff. Sometimes one or two other cycle tourers.

The beauty of the mini cruise is bed, breakfast and evening meal are all included. So you roll off at 8 in the morning and have till about 5 pm to ride and get back for your meal.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

timmitchell wrote:Pre Covid I did a mini cruise to Zeebrugge.

Rode from Saddleworth to Hull, one night on the ship a six hour ride around the Southern Netherlands and back to the ferry. Highly recommended,

Once the Covid cloud has lifted I am planning to recreate the experience, again ride to Hull but this time a 'Mini-Cruise' to Rotterdam Europort.

In short does anyone have a a good circular route out from Europort. Hopefully South as it seems less built up, but North would also work.

So I can enjoy the day probably 160 k max but a little shorter would be preferable. At least 120k.

A link to Strava or similar would be ace.

Take care

Tim

A circular route taking in Brabant and Zeeland seems the most logical with the most variety of landscape, but it isn't my patch.

You could try posting (the forum is in dutch but english is fine too) here: https://forum.wereldfietser.nl/index.php
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Good routes, but more effort on the associated song lyrics and titles would make this a perfect 10.

No-one else attracted by the lure of the sea, or will Tim have to sail this ship alone?

Jonathan
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Just give me a little time.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

hamster wrote:I'd be tempted to follow the rivers inland to Nijmegen and then take the train back.

This only works in the summer, as in normal times you can't take a bike on the train during rushhour
Marten

willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

See here for a route planner: https://en.routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/ Europoort is not the nicest of places, however, with container terminals, oil refineries and chemical plants. And it is large. I don't know if Newcastle would be feasible for you as well, but if so, you can take the ferry to IJmuiden en ride north from there. With all of this, however, you will sadly have to wait for a while.
mjr

Post by mjr »

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/189430 is my suggestion for a basis, but it's really only based on a past visit to picturesque Goederede and some guesses.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Looking on the map Europort is on the wrong side of the river from Hook of Holland.

However I recall from our trip between Harwich and the Hook that there were ferries across the river.

Looking at Google Maps shows that there is a Fast Ferry which services a lot of the port near the sea.

If you are arriving in Europort, then, I would suggest that you might want to hop on the Fast Ferry to Hook of Holland and then you can head North on the coastal cycle route which has loads of eateries, past (or through the Hague, past (or through) Amsterdam and if you are looking for a long ride swing round over the bridge to Leystad and back or go further North and swing round via Bolsward and Lemmer then back via Leystad (where you can carry on down or cut back to the coast).

Oops!
Forgot to press the go button.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Looking on the map Europort is on the wrong side of the river from Hook of Holland.

However I recall from our trip between Harwich and the Hook that there were ferries across the river.

Looking at Google Maps shows that there is a Fast Ferry which services a lot of the port near the sea.

If you are arriving in Europort, then, I would suggest that you might want to hop on the Fast Ferry to Hook of Holland and then you can head North on the coastal cycle route which has loads of eateries, past (or through the Hague, past (or through) Amsterdam and if you are looking for a long ride swing round over the bridge to Leystad and back or go further North and swing round via Bolsward and Lemmer then back via Leystad (where you can carry on down or cut back to the coast).

Oops!
Forgot to press the go button.

And you forgot to look at the original requirement of a 160 km max dayride. Europoort-Bolsward is a 400km roundtrip!

I wouldn't want to start with a ferry which goes every hour (rozenburg-maasluis is probably safer) only to ride in the busiest built-up area of the country
Marten