Analogue Navigation Device

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dr nosh

Analogue Navigation Device

Post by dr nosh »

Analogue Navigation Device.jpg

Saw a picture of this on a website trial report.

I am trying to find out more about it.

Can anybody comment, who makes it, anybody use one at all, etc, etc.

(I use a very similar but larger device on vintage motorcycling tours)

Thanks.
Ride It Like you stole It
Jdsk

Re: Analogue Navigation Device

Post by Jdsk »

Never seen one like that.

But here's the one that Jenkinson used on the Mille Miglia:

Jonathan
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

I think it's digital. Don't you have to use fingers to turn the knobs? :lol:
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I would imagine it is a motorcycling route sheet/roll sheet holder.
examples.

Audax-style route sheets would easily suit, but mostly on a bike you'd stop often at cafes etc enough that refolding the supplied A4 would suffice for audax sheets, so the extra work for pre-ride reformatting to roll layout wouldn't be worth while.

I could see (for example) a commercial outfit running self-led cycling tours finding them useful for their clients.
There's a learning curve for GPS units so even supplying one of those wouldn't be much, if any, better for clients who'd never used that brand of GPS.

I would expect they will be more common for motorcycle use - you go further between stops, a GPS is further from the face so harder to read etc.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Hunt around motorcycle sites, especially ones that deal with Long Distance Trials or alternatively retro enduro sites. Trials Central may be one. That one looks American. They made a lot of that sort of thing from the 50's up to the point where LED trip computers came in. Used for holding route notes or a road book. I used to run a LDT that like most others relied on a road book to follow the 100 mile route. Most were home made though. A butty box worked well with plastic pipe for rollers . Space a a few grams were not an issue and the bigger the better as it allowed a bigger roll of paper which is easier to read.
Easy to make. Use a small plastic tub with a clip on lid. Two bits of suitable pipe for the rollers with some form of knob attached. If the lid isn't clear enough, trip the centre away and glue in some clear plastic. Mount the box to some clips. Roll your route on and you are ready to go. My last one was made of alloy which my family fabricator welded up.
I think Acerbis still make a A4 sized one.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote:Never seen one like that.

But here's the one that Jenkinson used on the Mille Miglia:

Jonathan

That was when Moss was the driver?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I am issued with something very similar when I do audax events. :lol:
rjb

Post by rjb »

Plans for these were published in the CTC mag donkeys years ago. Essentially a plastic box, 2 short lengths of dowel, and your route instructions wound around and the ends sellotaped to the dowels, held on the bars with elastic bands or cable ties.
Simples. :wink:

These things have been around since the dead sea Scrolls. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote:
Jdsk wrote:But here's the one that Jenkinson used on the Mille Miglia

It was. Barely believable speeds and a wonderful story.

They're still selling replicas:
http://www.thesignaturestore.co.uk/shop/4566396525/mille-miglia-%27722%27-roller-map-boxed-set-signed-stirling-moss/3164325
!

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Barely believable speeds and a wonderful story.
I know! I still can't get my head round that fact that their average speed was a smidge off one hundred miles an hour !!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

I used to have something similar for my motorbike many years back but mine was just a double sheet of plastic sheet between two rollers which you put the paper between the two sheets.
Something like this should be pretty easy to make yourself as it doesn't require to be in a waterproof box.
I guess in really heavy rain the water might manage to get to the paper but I don't remember having this problem (in fact as long as the ink is waterproof it would probably still be readable even if it got wet as the plastic would hold it together).
djb

Post by djb »

Cool but goofy doohickey.
As much as I'm still a non GPS guy, heck I'd still have to use my reading glasses with this thing, so hand written steps on a piece of paper in my map case or pocket are still what I use.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Jdsk wrote:
francovendee wrote:
Jdsk wrote:But here's the one that Jenkinson used on the Mille Miglia

It was. Barely believable speeds and a wonderful story.

They're still selling replicas:
http://www.thesignaturestore.co.uk/shop/4566396525/mille-miglia-%27722%27-roller-map-boxed-set-signed-stirling-moss/3164325
!

Jonathan

Unless he signed a few a while back, it would be difficult to get a genuine signature on the replica's paperwork now ....
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
whoof

Post by whoof »

I can see a Garmin Etrex in the background.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Duplicate thread. See https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=142087

Duplicates lead to discussion being split between two places, interested people missing relevant points, and/or everyone having to post the same thing twice. Sorry!