Keeping warm when stopped

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
TrevA

Keeping warm when stopped

Post by TrevA »

As lockdown continues, cafes can only serve takeaways which means sitting outside to drink your takeaway tea or tea from your flask. But how do you keep warm when stopped?

We put our waterproof jackets on, but this isn’t really enough when it’s cold and/or windy. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a very light down jacket to put on at stops, but it would have to pack down quite small and I don’t want to spend loads of money - ideally not more than £40. Does anyone use something similar? I’m looking for recommendations.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Navrig

Re: Keeping warm when stopped

Post by Navrig »

This problem is probably what created the cafe and coffee culture of cycling. Stop where it's warm.

Short of packing a micro fleece there's not much you can do. Perhaps plant a route and distance with no stops.

Obviously keep the extremities protected so decent footwear and gloves to start.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my CPH1979 using hovercraft full of eels.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

If it's dry a lightweight down jacket works well.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trek500-m ... R-p-167571

If its a bit rainy or very windy, you just have to keep moving, or find a nice bus shelter, church doorway, or similar.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

A light quilted gilet is easier. I have one that will just about go into a rear pocket. Plenty in the outdoor shops.
My favourite way though is not to stop. You get another 10 miles done in the day or you get home to the Sunday lunch in time for a change and that's usually popular :D You also don't get cold and stiff. Hot summer pub stops are a different matter :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to stand when resting, one sits all the time when cycling :wink:

Worst time is sometimes when one starts off again, the body has cooled down and wind from moving cools it more. Better to go slowly for a while
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

mattsccm wrote:A light quilted gilet is easier. I have one that will just about go into a rear pocket.

This is what I use if I'm stopping for a more than a few minutes, mine is from Alpkit, but as mattsccm says there's plenty of choice.
Where and when you stop is also important, out of any wind of course. also when you're already warm so the top of a climb is good and if you're already cold it's probably best to keep going. I'm often wearing a jacket with big venting zips, so I may close these off to warm up before stopping.
hamster

Post by hamster »

The Uniqlo down jackets are brilliant and pack small. They are standard kit for me when touring for any stop in cold weather.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mattsccm wrote:A light quilted gilet is easier. I have one that will just about go into a rear pocket. Plenty in the outdoor shops.

hamster wrote:The Uniqlo down jackets are brilliant and pack small. They are standard kit for me when touring for any stop in cold weather.

My family agree about Uniqlo, under the cycling jacket while stopped.

Jonathan
whoof

Post by whoof »

A bit like camping it's where you choose to stop, sheltered out of the wind and if there is any in the sun.

A buff (also acts as a face covering if you need to go in a shop of takeaway) and wooly hat can make quite a difference and don't take up much space.

I've got a Uniqlo down jacket which I take touring. Also a down gillet which I got from Go Outdoor this one is £25 but currently only in XS. The prices go up and down but if you keep watching you can get some good deals.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15906860/h ... t-15906860
mjr

Post by mjr »

rualexander wrote:If it's dry a lightweight down jacket works well.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trek500-m ... R-p-167571

That's what I have now. Not quite small enough to fit many pockets (it packs into its own pocket, but it's a deep one) but fine in most medium bags. Put on under waterproof if wet or windy because it may be showerproof and fairly warm even when wet but if put back in the saddle/rack/pannier bag when wet, it makes everything else damp. Best in a basket with a loose strap or net over to stop it flapping out.
Attachments
Jacket, packed
Jacket, packed
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Another vote in favour of a lightweight down jacket. I have 2 in my extensive wardrobe of down jackets.

My 'best' one is like the Uniquilo one. They are very popular in Japan and S Korea (mine's Korean). I think it packs smaller than mjr's picture and I always carry it when touring anywhere it gets chilly at night. My other one is a Katmandu with hood and so is a little bit bulkier. I don't like fixed hoods, but this was a can't resist bargain in a charity shop.

When people talk about padded gillets, I presume these are what I would call a bodywarmer. I have a couple of them, but normally wear around the house or in campervan. Why have a jacket with no arms, when for no extra cost and little extra bulk you can have a proper jacket. Actually my bodywarmers are bulkier than my 2 jackets.

Most of the cheaper jackets aren't waterproof (maybe vaguely showerproof) so don't wear in the rain without a waterproof on.

I think one would be ideal for you, although allow a couple of minutes to stuff before riding off. They are also smart enough to wear when out and about in town and I wear them a lot. Zip up and pretty warm, unzip and they are light (as in weight) enough to wear indoors without overheating.

Love 'em.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I ride all winter and often out 5 or 6 hours and have never bothered with cafes (there isn't any where I ride) The trick on cold days is lots of short stops, Try to take a break half way up a hill, then you are nice and warm when you stop and when you get cold and need to get going you will soon warm up on the second half of the hill. Stopping at the top means when the cold starts to set in and you get back on the bike you're freewheeling downhill with super windchill.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. It’s not just cafe stops. We often ride with our dog, towed in a trailer and often stop for a mid-ride dog walk, so a jacket would be useful for that too.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Lidl have some cheap quilted jackets in their larger stores atm, @ £15 from memory.

This time of year is woolly hat and gloves time, keep the hat on and when its cooler, a pair of liner gloves will keep your hands from freezing whilst maintaining some dexterity :wink: , riding gloves inside jacket so they don't chill. If it gets really cold i'll have my Goretex on which insulates pretty well, today at 7c was just about okay for the sandwich stop without adding to the thermal jacket though.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

You could get an ex-army softie jacket and trousers. They wrap up like a sleeping bag in their own bags, are very light and very warm and wind proof. They are like sleeping bags to wear. I use them as my main winter coat now. Great for cycling in as they are very light and have long arms. The jackets cost about £30 and the trousers half that. Some on Ebay are new unused some are used but all are clean. various sizes. I have the XL ones

eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-British-Army-Issue-Thermal-Reversible-softie-Olive-Sand-Jacket-Size-XL/383648052400?hash=item595334b4b0:g:h98AAOSwk5pfHn3I

I understand from an ex-army guy they are an older style, probably stock the army wants to get rid of as they cycle inventory ( if new )

Believe me these are really good. I was in Edinburgh a couple of years ago in January and the wind was blowing cold and I was so warm I was smiling. The trousers need braces by the way as the elastic is not strong enough

I have toyed with the idea of using the pair instead of a sleeping bag as bags that will fit me are too heavy or too constraining in movement.

The prices wont break the bank