Keeping warm when stopped

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nsew

Re: Keeping warm when stopped

Post by nsew »

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/buying-guides ... ase-layers

Not sure why they didn’t feature any of the 3 different weight Rapha merino base layers. I take one of the mid weight Rapha’s on my journeys South and two on journeys North / East. I hit a particularly cold patch once travelling through France that lasted for 8 days. I know that because at the end I calculated I’d worn that one base layer for 24 hours a day for 8 days solid. If anyone knows of a synthetic base layer that can be worn for 24 hours a day for 8 days please get in touch. They do develop holes after a couple of tours (retired to lounging around wear) and require a specific wash but a merino base layer can’t be bettered for a cycling / camping tour that incorporates the cold.
nsew

Post by nsew »

andrew_s wrote:The best method is to pick a bench seat that's in the sun and out of the breeze.Even better if it's got free wifi like this one does.
A pity it doesn't always work :(

When I lived in Bristol I’d often stop off at a bench in Little Sodbury that faced South-West overlooking the common and was protected well from the North and East. Loved that bench, no wi-fi though.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

nsew wrote:Pete, before I compose a reply to your comments can i point out that what your wife does or doesn’t like is not a metric that features prominently in my decision making process.

Since I don't find them itchy it doesn't matter much to me either, and if you're only concerned about your decision making then obviously it's not going to be that important. If, however, you're putting out general advice to others that merino base layers are "a given" then the fact that some people really don't get on with them might be an important caveat, especially those who've previously found any sort of wool itchy.

Pete.
Last edited by pjclinch on 22 Nov 2020, 2:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

nsew wrote:https://www.cyclist.co.uk/buying-guides/1892/buyers-guide-best-winter-cycling-base-layers

Not sure why they didn’t feature any of the 3 different weight Rapha merino base layers.

Based on the reviews I've done on and off over the last 20+ years, reviewers typically only review stuff they get sent. I'd guess Rapha didn't send them anything.

Does make a bit of a mockery of their claims to tell you the "best", but that's headline writing for you.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...