Couscous - Do You Use It?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cyril Haearn

Re: Couscous - Do You Use It?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is couscous porridge a thing?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You could make a sweet dish of couscous, it would be called semolina pudding.

I liked all the comparisons to (much nicer) pasta, when couscous is a pasta.

"Despite popular belief that couscous is a type of whole grain (it does have a rice-like appearance), it is actually a pasta made of semolina and wheat flour that is moistened and tossed together until it forms little balls. This North African staple has gained global popularity because of its tremendous flexibility, allowing for many recipe variations featuring a host of additional ingredients."
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Psamathe wrote:I suspect if I manage a tour again I'll pay out for a multi-fuel stove which might make life a bit easier?

Potentially, though there are caveats.

First up, cost is much higher and they're heavier, but neither ridiculously so in the grand scheme of things.

Next up, it's been a few years since I looked but I think it's still the case that you won't get one that does alcohol based fuels as well as petroleum. If anyone has tried it and found it worked note that the issue (according to the Don't do this section of my Primus MFS user guide) is that a sealant resistant to both is the problem, so using the wrong fuel will gradually eat away at the stuff keeping it safe. Don't know what the failure mode is, have no intention of finding out!

Some multi-fuels do gas cans as well, which is a nice feature, though they don't do gas as well as a gas stove because rather than a broad head with lots of wee holes you have a pipe with a simple spreader at the top, and it just doesn't work as well. Noisier and less efficient, and a bit less controllable (assuming my MFS is representative, though as I said, it's been a while since I saw what the state of the art is meant to be).

Some do diesel, others don't get hot enough. If you have one that does then note it'll still be pretty unpleasant compared to other fuels in terms of smell and soot.

For petrol, get some practice in and only use it inside a tent if you have got lots of practice in and are absolutely confident you can do it gracefully. I know people I'd trust to cook with petrol in a tent porch (I am not one of them, not enough practice) and I know people I wouldn't want to be within 10 feet of when they're priming a pressure stove with petrol for fuel. You can prime with petrol using petrol, but meths (or, I'm told) priming paste is considerably less, errr, exciting...
Coleman fuel is basically petrol but without all the engine cleaning additives so it burns much cleaner. Insanely expensive in the UK, but I understand more sensibly priced abroad.

Don't use my MFS that much as I'm usually somewhere gas canisters can be had and our Gravity stove is lighter and works better with gas, but when I have been relatively off-grid (e.g., paddling around Shetland) it's been handy to be able to call at a house and beg some heating oil or similar.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
ossie

Post by ossie »

markjohnobrien wrote:Ugh - disgusting stuff. Much prefer porridge :D

I find porridge clashes with the peppers and mixed herbs :wink:
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Haggis and black pudding both have oatmeal as a major ingredient . I might try porridge with a curry one-day. As they say it all goes down the same hole.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

nick12 wrote:Haggis and black pudding both have oatmeal as a major ingredient . I might try porridge with a curry one-day. As they say it all goes down the same hole.

Oats are just another cereal grain, not especially interesting to eat on their own but nutritionally good and easy enough to have their flavour boosted in any way a cook sees fit, including sweet and savoury options.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

6 quid Ainsley Harriott Spice Sensation Couscous, 100 g, Pack of 12 Really nice in a damproof pack. I really like Middle Eastern food especially their rice based salads full of fresh herbs.

I really love Ainsleys cooking and attitude, a refreshing change from the grumpy full of themselves so called TV chefs. I am currently enjoying his TV series take on plain British food and last series and book on Mediteranean food. His Barbecue Bible is my Barbecue Bible.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
paddler

Post by paddler »

al_yrpal wrote:6 quid Ainsley Harriott Spice Sensation Couscous, 100 g, Pack of 12 Really nice in a damproof pack. I really like Middle Eastern food especially their rice based salads full of fresh herbs.

I really love Ainsleys cooking and attitude, a refreshing change from the grumpy full of themselves so called TV chefs. I am currently enjoying his TV series take on plain British food and last series and book on Mediteranean food. His Barbecue Bible is my Barbecue Bible.

Al

I'm not keen on the man himself but I do like his couscous, cooked then chilled, mixed with some toasted pine nuts and some currants or sultanas and paired with a salad.
On it's own it's not filling enough for me when hiking or cycling.

Dave
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

I used to use it (correction in place now for meticulous orthographizer ;) EAT IT ) couscous, I normaly added peppers and onions shredded carrot, with a stock cube and then let it sit, when cooled a bit made wraps from it .. was ok.
No longer eat it now though as moved over to keto.. so wraps and cous cous are off menu now
Last edited by TimeTraveller on 26 Nov 2020, 9:51am, edited 4 times in total.
Pete... I think
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Bulgur wheat is similar, and is made from wholegrains, I think. Cooks the same way, though it takes a bit longer. Has slightly more flavour. Comes in coarse and fine grains.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's structurally different but it may fit some similar culinary niches. It isn't essential to cook bulgur wheat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgur

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

nick12 wrote:Haggis and black pudding both have oatmeal as a major ingredient . I might try porridge with a curry one-day. As they say it all goes down the same hole.

When I were a lad, pork meatloaf with oats in it was a family staple. I remember some times it would be far more oaty than others, which was probably a reflection on the household finances, though I was too young to be concerned by such things. I might go search out a recipe for a meal down memory lane.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'use' it? Do you mean 'eat' it? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Barks

Post by Barks »

al_yrpal wrote:6 quid Ainsley Harriott Spice Sensation Couscous, 100 g, Pack of 12 Really nice in a damproof pack. I really like Middle Eastern food especially their rice based salads full of fresh herbs.

Al

I do (or rather did up until 2020) lots of long distance hiking - pre-flavoured couscous like the Ainsley Harriet type, has been brilliant. Just add packet tuna, chopped up smoked sausage or similar and off you go. Pour on boiling water, leave for 5 mins, stir and eat. Minimal mess when cleaning up. Porridge in the morning though.