White bread

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Slowroad

Re: White bread

Postby Slowroad » 22 Nov 2020, 8:55pm

I don't remember white bread ever being mentioned when it comes to food for touring. Not sure why as it is very easy to ‘eat’, requiring only a hand and a mouth.

Bypasses the rest of the alimentary canal :-) saving the need for the longer 'pit stops'...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 27 Nov 2020, 9:21am

Main issue with most bread is bulk and tendency to suffer when packed all day, so we generally get it when we can resupply close to a camp and then get whichever loaf looks nicest. Depending on where we are that might be a white one, but certainly not if it's Sunblest or the like because we just don't like them.

Pitta is good for a bread supply that won't fill lots of space and/or get crushed easily.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 27 Nov 2020, 11:38am

I thought a big issue with modern sliced white bread was the absence of fibre, in a foodstuff which traditionally provided lots of it in most people's diet. I thought this was a common cause of diverticular disease/ diverticulitis. I was reminded of this yesterday when I learn't that a member of my extended family is on the waiting list to have a chunk of bowel removed but cannot get it done anytime soon.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 27 Nov 2020, 11:46am

The association between amount and type of fibre in the diet and diverticular disease is complex. Roughly (!) speaking I'd say "unproven", and the uncertainty has increased over the last twenty-five years.

Jonathan

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 27 Nov 2020, 12:40pm

I no longer make white bread in my Panasonic bread machine. I use a 50:50 mix with wholemeal. I find the resulting loaf keeps longer whereas the whitebread goes off very quickly.

mxg01

Postby mxg01 » 27 Nov 2020, 4:01pm

Apparently, white sliced bread can be used to filter the nasty tasting stuff out of meths. That way you and your Trangia can share drinks.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 27 Nov 2020, 4:09pm

That was widely believed in WW2 for removing methanol and leaving ethanol behind. TTBOMK it doesn't work at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_juice

But there isn't much methanol in British methylated spirits. The nasty bits are there to make it unpalatable and recognisable by colour.

Jonathan

PS: OTOH I have carried a fluid that can be used for both purposes in emergencies. It's in the archives somewhere. : - )

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » 30 Dec 2020, 5:46pm

Let me assure all of you that in the "middle" of outback Australia, some left over partially dried white bread and a tin of sardines or corn or?? is wonderful! Some cold oatmeal soaked with bore water is nice too. These fortified me for the wild camp (no trees/wood) and an early start to the roadhouse 50 km away..

Funny how I remember such "gourmet" dining from August 2006 in Queensland near the Gulf of Carpentaria. :wink:

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 30 Dec 2020, 8:16pm

White bread in invaluable when touring.As well as being a food,it serves these functions

1.cleaning oil etc from hands
2.an alternative to tissue for blowing nose,wiping saddle
3.as a comfort aid placed inside shorts
4.if in bag is a pillow
5.can be used to bribe dogs
6.visibility aid
There must be others.........................

markjohnobrien

Postby markjohnobrien » 31 Dec 2020, 9:35am

White bread is disgusting. Good for throwing to ducks but that’s about all.

Sourdough is much tastier and healthier.

Phileas

Postby Phileas » 31 Dec 2020, 10:31am

Although I mainly eat wholemeal, I prefer white bread for spreading things on e.g. peanut butter.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 31 Dec 2020, 10:41am

markjohnobrien wrote:White bread is disgusting. Good for throwing to ducks but that’s about all.

A duck writes:

"Not too much, please."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-50081386

Jonathan

PH

Postby PH » 31 Dec 2020, 12:47pm

I've toured for days on bread, fruit and cheese. There's enough variety in those three things to last longer than any tour I'm likely to do. Each of them has to be of a decent quality, though I apply that to all my food shopping, on tour or otherwise. Add coffee and wine and I don't think I'd want for anything else.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 31 Dec 2020, 1:28pm

PH wrote:I've toured for days on bread, fruit and cheese. There's enough variety in those three things to last longer than any tour I'm likely to do. Each of them has to be of a decent quality, though I apply that to all my food shopping, on tour or otherwise. Add coffee and wine and I don't think I'd want for anything else.

:)
There's a fan of simple pleasures.
Happy new year.
Sweep

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 31 Dec 2020, 3:34pm

simonineaston wrote:
White bread à l'anglaise?
It's not even really proper bread...

And neither is most of the brown or even sourdough sold en Angleterre. Malheureux pays.