If you could go anywhere where would you go?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: If you could go anywhere where would you go?

Postby Jdsk » 21 Nov 2020, 9:29am

matt2matt2002 wrote:
Matt25 wrote:Back to the Icelandic interior. Cheapish flights, easy logistics but with a feeling of real adventure. :)

It's on my list but someone ( who hasn't been there! ) told me it was super expensive.

Haven't cycled there but had two family holidays. One in the much-visited SW. And one with a trailer tent clockwise to Mývatn. Amazing geology and sights. Fascinating history. Very different culture.

Wonderful and phenomenally expensive.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Jonathan

oldun

Postby oldun » 21 Nov 2020, 9:56am

For me it would be the Via de la Plata camino from Seville to Santiago . I would start in Cadiz and cycle the Via Augusta ( i think thats its name )up to Seville and join the Via de la Plata .
I have cycled from Seville 3 times and loved every moment ....good weather....cheap food....cheap hostels if you have the pilgrim passport and mostly quiet tracks/ roads .
I was planning to drive down to Salamanca or Santiago and catch a bus to Cadiz maybe March or April 2021 as no flights are yet available . This could change at any moment i suppose but i just feel a bit desperate to do something , so planning is the next best thing .

A flight from Stansted would be so much easier and cheaper, but who knows if easyjet will be flying the less popular routes in 2021 , at least the cross channel ferries should still be running .

nirakaro

Postby nirakaro » 21 Nov 2020, 10:50am

I'd planned to follow (most of) the route of the Torino-Nice rally this year, roughly paralleling the French/Italian border down to the Mediterranean. Maybe next year…

Slowroad

Postby Slowroad » 22 Nov 2020, 8:53pm

Maybe pushing it a bit but train and ferry and train to Denmark and Southern Sweden - been meaning to get back there for nearly 20 years but I rarely get the opportunity to take 2 weeks off.
Or the Western Isles and north-west Scotland so long as the weather's good and there's no midges (ha ha).
Or finish doing the Rhine on my Brompton, Speyer to Adermatt (or maybe the other way round!)
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin

roberts8

Postby roberts8 » 23 Nov 2020, 9:02am

Thought about Iona a d islands in April to miss midges. Hire bikes and visit a relative in Glasgow. Thought we would be eco and do London to Glasgow on the train with passes to keep the cost down. Shocked at the high price I can save well over half by flying which seems ridiculous but the option is not going if I don't fly..

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 23 Nov 2020, 9:29am

If I could go anywhere? If money were no object? I'd get a tall sail ship & hire a crew for it, and sail the world.

I'd really like to see the northern lights, properly. Northern Norway, Alaska, Canada, Greenland? I'm not too bothered. I've seen bits a couple of times. Different appearances. One time in Wisconsin, I saw them as almost cloud-like curtains of light in the northern sky. Another time in Norway, I've seen a a couple of green threads in the sky. But I want to see them in all their glory.

I'd like to see Asian countries; as many as possible. I'd like to see Africa, and the Pacific Islands, South America, Panama Canal, bits of North America, Including northern Canada, on to Greenalnd, Iceland, Ireland, and other parts around Europe I haven't seen much of, sail the Mediterannean, Aegean, see Istanbul, and go on to the Black Sea...

If we are being realistic? Well, when I have the money & it is safe to do so, I want to take my family on a cruise of the west coast of Norway & see orcas, and the fjords.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 23 Nov 2020, 9:34am

Jdsk wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:
Matt25 wrote:Back to the Icelandic interior. Cheapish flights, easy logistics but with a feeling of real adventure. :)

It's on my list but someone ( who hasn't been there! ) told me it was super expensive.

Haven't cycled there but had two family holidays. One in the much-visited SW. And one with a trailer tent clockwise to Mývatn. Amazing geology and sights. Fascinating history. Very different culture.

Wonderful and phenomenally expensive.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Jonathan

We looked at going to Iceland for holiday some years ago. We decided in the the end that we couldn't afford it. We will probably go at some point. Iceland Air is one of the airlines we use to get to the USA. They allow stopovers without any additional fees, and it looks somewhat more economic from Norway than it did from the UK.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

pq

Postby pq » 23 Nov 2020, 3:32pm

I'd finish off my ride across Tibet. I got 2/3 of the way across in 2007 but it's been closed to independent cyclists since then. So in the realms of the possible, in our winter I'd go to Colombia, in our summer to Tajikistan.
One link to your website is enough. G

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 23 Nov 2020, 3:38pm

If you could go anywhere where would you go?

The Moon.
Mick F. Cornwall

pwa

Postby pwa » 23 Nov 2020, 3:40pm

Mick F wrote:If you could go anywhere where would you go?

The Moon.

It's a bit dull. It lacks atmosphere.

nirakaro

Postby nirakaro » 24 Nov 2020, 2:16pm

The Moon.

Which bike would you take?

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 24 Nov 2020, 2:30pm

nirakaro wrote:

The Moon.

Jonathan

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 25 Nov 2020, 7:04pm

nirakaro wrote:
The Moon.

Mercian.
Mind you, it's rather light, so maybe I should take Moulton. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 26 Nov 2020, 9:24am

The Moon.

One should be careful wishing for extraterrestrial destinations.

I mean, you could end up on Uranus.

And disappear. :shock: :shock:

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 28 Nov 2020, 3:39pm

Jdsk wrote:
nirakaro wrote:

The Moon.

Jonathan

:lol: As long as it's not number 13