If you could go anywhere where would you go?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Audax67

Re: If you could go anywhere where would you go?

Post by Audax67 »

Paris to Brest and back - what a chum described as the most fun you can ever have on a bike.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Assuming a 'normal' life and anywhere in the world, it would probably be Macchu Picchu...
But otherwise; Alps, Italy, Spain, Croatia, other half would like to go to Japan........
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Walked the Inca trail a few years ago and I agree Machu Pichu is amazing at dawn . We travelled via Bolivia which I thought was amazing but some of the roads are a bit hairy. They were running trips to cycle down The Worlds most dangerous road which looked crazy so we spent time in deserted canyons, brilliant.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

hamish wrote:
Psamathe wrote:2 weeks/10 days not long enough for me to justify the carbon footprint to travel outside UK. And nowhere appropriate in UK at the moment so even without everything else I'd be staying at home.

Ian

I agree with the carbon footprint concerns... So I'd probably say Scotland for me. A mainly off road tour in the highlands... Again.

I think for me too this is a factor, yes I'd love to return to California and NZ sometime, and perhaps visit Alaska one day, but I am put off flying for the foreseeable, partly for carbon footprint reasons, as above, but partly too as flying is a habit I have got out of because of the pandemic.

I used to spend a lot of my time travelling for work, and consequently spent loads of my time in airports and in transit, but a culture shift in my line of work to more online meetings etc means I can be free from that constant whirl of airports and planes, which becomes a drain after a while.

So for me, Spain, via ferry from Ireland, with trains to / from ports and travelling with bike, no flights, no airports, that's the plan for my Camino trip when the time comes :-)

cheers,

Keith
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

roberts8 wrote:.... We travelled via Bolivia which I thought was amazing but some of the roads are a bit hairy. They were running trips to cycle down The Worlds most dangerous road which looked crazy so we spent time in deserted canyons, brilliant.

WMDR is an amazing ride and well worthwhile. I was maybe a bit daft and there is an uphill bit where most put the bikes back on the bus but I was obstinate "I was going to ride the entire route" - forgetting the altitude so I headed up far too fast and before long my lungs felt like they were going to explode (my stupidity).

I was unsure but ended-up realising I was not going to visit these amazing places and not do something ... (but talking to some Bolivians sometime later apparently a death (cyclist) a week after I rode the route).

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The utility cyclist wrote:Any place that isn't duped/too dumb to fall for the covid fraud and hasn't put restrictions on human life in place.

So it's North Korea, then.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Assuming this is all fantasy.

I'd fly Business Class on a carbon neutral plane to Thailand - evening flight, nice meal, movie, then full length bed for a good sleep.

Fly direct to Chiang Mai and then 2 weeks cycling around Northern Thailand. It's a great time of year, not too hot and still very green after the rainy season. Great scenery, plenty of hills if you want on good roads.

For me, Thailand is one of the best 'easy' destinations in Asia. Probably nothing is the best, but everything (food, costs, hotels, people, roads) is in the top 5.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

simonhill wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Any place that isn't duped/too dumb to fall for the covid fraud and hasn't put restrictions on human life in place.

So it's North Korea, then.

:lol:
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Traction_man wrote:
hamish wrote:
Psamathe wrote:2 weeks/10 days not long enough for me to justify the carbon footprint to travel outside UK. And nowhere appropriate in UK at the moment so even without everything else I'd be staying at home.

Ian

I agree with the carbon footprint concerns... So I'd probably say Scotland for me. A mainly off road tour in the highlands... Again.

I think for me too this is a factor, yes I'd love to return to California and NZ sometime, and perhaps visit Alaska one day, but I am put off flying for the foreseeable, partly for carbon footprint reasons, as above, but partly too as flying is a habit I have got out of because of the pandemic.

I used to spend a lot of my time travelling for work, and consequently spent loads of my time in airports and in transit, but a culture shift in my line of work to more online meetings etc means I can be free from that constant whirl of airports and planes, which becomes a drain after a while.

So for me, Spain, via ferry from Ireland, with trains to / from ports and travelling with bike, no flights, no airports, that's the plan for my Camino trip when the time comes :-)

cheers,

Keith

Can I go?
I am here. Where are you?
hamster

Post by hamster »

For two weeks:
1 Pacific Coast of the US: Portland - San Francisco (did it 26 years ago in the summer, fantastic)
2 Normandy and Brittany - I keep coming back!
3 Spain, probably in the empty bits, alternatively the route up northwards from Seville. (I cannot remember the name, but mentioned in a long thread here, looks wonderful)
4 Rhine (done some parts, again, really varied and interesting)
5 Western Front Way (set up by a friend)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Stockholm to Nordkapp then down to Helsinki, reckon thats about manageable in a fortnight :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Matt25

Post by Matt25 »

Back to the Icelandic interior. Cheapish flights, easy logistics but with a feeling of real adventure. :)
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Matt25 wrote:Back to the Icelandic interior. Cheapish flights, easy logistics but with a feeling of real adventure. :)

It's on my list but someone ( who hasn't been there! ) told me it was super expensive.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think that wherever we go we take our spending, and I intend taking my spending to the places I care about most. They need it. It will almost certainly be UK and quite possibly Wales. I will be putting money directly into small businesses in the UK.

But it won't feel like a sacrifice. As I have got older my appetite for longer distance travel has shrunk. In fact, I now get some of my greatest enjoyment of the great outdoors very locally. Last week, on a drizzly afternoon with a strong breeze, I made my way on foot across this local rocky beech at low tide
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4424722 ... 2?hl=en-GB
It is a twenty minute walk from my house, so very familiar, and the weather was of a sort to keep many people indoors. But it was wonderful. The drizzle made it atmospheric, with the wind blowing it near horizontally across the rocky landscape in great sheets. Beneath my feet the rivulets of seawater were still flowing between the rock formations toward the waves. To my left I could hear occasional falling rocks crashing down from the unstable cliffs. To my right was the muted roar of the sea. It seemed like a symphony or air, water and rock, and it really took me out of myself. It was as enriching as any landscape experience I have had anywhere and if I had had a button I could have pressed to transport me anywhere else in the world I would not have pressed it. I have sat on top of Mont Ventoux in the sunshine, eating my lunch after having cycled up, and it was no better than being on that wet and windy Welsh beach a short distance from my own doorstep.

I accept this love of what is closer to home will leave many of you unimpressed, but if you could increase you ability to savour what is readily available it might help you get through this period of restrictions.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I'm absolutely with PWA. I would travel UK only - or perhaps Ireland - and largely in my own and nearby counties. Travel slower, open your eyes, keep stopping. The nearby has so much to offer.
John