EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Post by simonhill »

Firstly let's not get too far ahead as I doubt many or even any of us will be challenged at the border, particularly once we have that e-visa thingy. However it could be that Govts decide to have a blanket requirement requiring airlines, ferries, etc to ask to see supporting evidence before allowing boarding. This is already common for travelling to many non EU countries. I suspect a return ticket would be sufficient and questions would only follow if you don't have one.

I suspect that an app showing cash balance would be fine. When I had to show for Chinese Visa extension, I didn't have app so had to print out from PC in Internet cafe. Now, I can show the official it is XYZ Bank app; login; display info. I have a bank account that money is paid into each month and there is also a savings account with some money in it. I would think that would be adequate. Obviously a problem if you don't do online banking and have a smartphone.

Internationally, there are lots of variations, but as an example of requirements, Thailand used to ask for a big wad of cash in your account for a particular visa. It became obvious that this wasn't how people lived and could be fiddled by dumping cash in it as I said above. They changed it to allow regular monthly deposits over a six month period to show income/pension adding up to required amount.

Re credit cards, as I said before, I've heard of them being refused. Think about it - you have no money there, all it shows is that the Bank may lend you some. At any time the bank can withdraw the facility or lower your credit limit, etc.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

simonhill wrote: I doubt many or even any of us will be challenged at the border

I'm sure that's right, for the present. However I imagine the EU is looking at all the ways it could apply pressure if the UK government were to backtrack on any aspects of the agreements it has signed.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"‘It’s been a f**king nightmare’: How Brexit is impacting the careers of British riders"
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/its-been-a-fking-nightmare-how-brexit-is-impacting-the-careers-of-british-riders-491373

90 out of 180 days as above + the outbreak.

Jonathan
pq

Post by pq »

It doesn't apply to me becasue I hold UK and French citizenship so I haven't looked into it, but surely pro cyclists will be able to apply for work visas? A pain of course but better than having your career derailed.
One link to your website is enough. G
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pq wrote:It doesn't apply to me becasue I hold UK and French citizenship so I haven't looked into it, but surely pro cyclists will be able to apply for work visas? A pain of course but better than having your career derailed.

I thought "work visas" applied only to a single EU member state or states if you apply in more than one country (e.g. you apply for a French work visa which will allow you to only travel within France - go outside the country of your work visa and you're using your 90 out of 180 days). My understanding though never applied for one and only briefly investigated as a way past 90/180 - so I may b wrong.

Ian
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Work visas are for individual member states normally and have various requirements.

For most there's a required income level, a proof that only you can do the job so that you're not taking a job from a local etc. Might be okay if you're established, but not for an early career professional.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

st599_uk wrote:Work visas are for individual member states normally and have various requirements.

For most there's a required income level, a proof that only you can do the job so that you're not taking a job from a local etc. Might be okay if you're established, but not for an early career professional.

This is pretty much the situation. It was covered in a recent episode of The Cycling Podcast. If I recall correctly, to achieve the required income level, men need to in a World Tour team and women need to be in one of the few World Tour teams matching the men's minimum wage — so no, no use for a new rider at a smaller team, so they either had to move before 1 Jan or try to work from a UK base and deal with the access restrictions.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

If UK riders won't be able to get contracts with Continental teams until they're already at that level, what effect will that have on UK racing? Obviously it won't affect the likes of Ineos and already established stars, but it could be good for the domestic scene: because talent will have to develop here – or it could be bad: because developing talent won't get so much experience in the more competitive Continental environments.

It's kind of comparable to the effect well paid, highly competitive football leagues (such as but certainly not restricted to the English Premiership) have on football in, say, Africa and Asia.

And what about the permits needed for a UK-based team or rider to enter Continental races? That's usually a separate type of work permit (in fact I think it would be a visa rather than a work permit) as it doesn't involve being based in the relevant country. (Same sort of thing applies of course for eg touring musicians.)
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
And what about the permits needed for a UK-based team or rider to enter Continental races? That's usually a separate type of work permit (in fact I think it would be a visa rather than a work permit) as it doesn't involve being based in the relevant country. (Same sort of thing applies of course for eg touring musicians.)

Work for a short period is allowed under a Schengen Visa or Visa Waiver but the rules are different for each country and each sector. The document Boris signed on Xmas Eve has a large appendix listing all the rules.

On top of that, work equipment would need to enter the EU customs union on a ATA Carnet.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

RickH wrote:According to this page

Where you can use your card

You can use a GHIC or an EHIC if you’re travelling to an EU country.

You cannot use a GHIC or an existing EHIC in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland. You’ll need travel insurance with healthcare cover.

You can use a UK passport to get medically necessary healthcare in Norway (for example emergency treatment, or to treat a pre-existing condition).

It`s worth mentioning with regard to EHIC`s, that EU nationals in the UK are still entitled an EHIC as are their spouses and dependent children.

Unlike an existing UK issued card, this is valid in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

Got mine this morning - Mrs willp is German - a crumb of comfort in this sorry saga...

You can apply here: https://services.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/cra/start
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

There’s been some coverage on social media of the changes to immigration rules previously mentioned on this thread, in particular in France and Spain. French border guards now have the right to ask you to provide evidence relating to your trip, specifically around accommodation, financial means and return travel.
Proof of accommodation covering the whole duration of the stay (hotel reservation and/or certificate of staying with a relative validated in the town hall);

Sufficient financial means. The means of subsistence shall be assessed according to the duration and purpose of the stay and by reference to the average prices for accommodation and food in the Member States;

Your return ticket or the financial means to acquire one at the envisaged return date;
https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/ ... -in-france

Although there does appear to be provision for showing up without accommodation (as long as you can prove you have funds to cover €120/day of expenses) this seems to put a downer on the old approach of just rolling off the ferry, riding until you get tired then spending a few weeks exploring the countryside.

Wonder if wild campers will have to book a ‘ghost’ trip with refundable accommodation then cancel it once they arrive in the country? What a hassle!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

bohrsatom wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:53pm There’s been some coverage on social media of the changes to immigration rules previously mentioned on this thread, in particular in France and Spain. French border guards now have the right to ask you to provide evidence relating to your trip, specifically around accommodation, financial means and return travel.
Proof of accommodation covering the whole duration of the stay (hotel reservation and/or certificate of staying with a relative validated in the town hall);

Sufficient financial means. The means of subsistence shall be assessed according to the duration and purpose of the stay and by reference to the average prices for accommodation and food in the Member States;

Your return ticket or the financial means to acquire one at the envisaged return date;
https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/ ... -in-france

Although there does appear to be provision for showing up without accommodation (as long as you can prove you have funds to cover €120/day of expenses) this seems to put a downer on the old approach of just rolling off the ferry, riding until you get tired then spending a few weeks exploring the countryside.
Entry requirements into lots of countries include accommodation booking(s) and demonstrating adequate funds but I've never been asked for either - just get the standard entry visa stamp.

Just because they can ask for something does not mean they will. So only my attitude is no point worrying about it until we see what the various immigrations actually do in reality.

Ian
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Psamathe wrote: 15 May 2021, 11:39pm Just because they can ask for something does not mean they will. So only my attitude is no point worrying about it until we see what the various immigrations actually do in reality.

Ian
Yeah, it’s not necessarily that they will ask, but that they have the right to, and can refuse entry if you don’t meet the requirements.

From experiences in other countries I suspect the questioning received will depend on how long the queue is, your attitude at immigration plus (sadly) what you look like.
pq

Post by pq »

The rule isn't new, it simply applies to Brits for the first time. In France where I live I've seen no evidence at all of this rule ever being enforced in the past against non-EU nationals, so there's no reason to think that will change now. If it's ever used it will be against people from poor countries, unfortunately. I'll be very surprised if they bother with it for Brits.
One link to your website is enough. G
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

.......or it could be used as an easy way to get rid of you if they don't like you for some reason (peeing on the flag, abusing the constitution, etc).

I think most European countries are unlikely to be prejudiced towards cyclists. More likely to be towards hitch hikers, if they still exist.

As has already been said, many countries already have such rules and I'll start to worry if or when they get enforced. Although as I have said before, more worrying would be if ferry/plane companies applied them pre-boarding. This is how it is done for many countries.