EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Post by Psamathe »

Re: EHIC
In todays Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/02/brexit-new-rules-europe-holidays-health-mobile-phones wrote:Will my Ehic card still work? Yes and no. According to the NHS website, your European health insurance card remains valid in the EU until it expires, which for some people will be quite a way off.

Just checked mine and it's valid until June 2023. So I wonder if there will be two proces for travel insurance, one for people covered by an EHIC and one for people who are not?

The same article then goes on to say
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/02/brexit-new-rules-europe-holidays-health-mobile-phones wrote:However, a replacement is being developed called the global health insurance card (Ghic). The bad news is that there are few details at the moment, and it does not for now extend as far as the Ehic.

Currently, the new Ghic is expected to cover you for travel in EU countries, but not Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein. If travelling to any of those countries, buying private cover should be regarded as an absolute necessity. Transitional arrangements have been put in place for Norway allowing UK nationals to use their UK passport to access state-provided medical treatment if necessary.

The government is also negotiating new arrangements with Switzerland and the European Economic Area (EEA)/European Free Trade Association (Efta) states that could result in Ehic-style reciprocal healthcare cover there.

But a lot of "unknown" and "expected" in the outlook for the future (and they've had how many years so sort this stuff out (and we're talking about National Governments here not poxy little disorganised hobbyists).

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

4% less economic turnover:
4% less use of resources and energy?
Plus One!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Psamathe wrote:.... not poxy little disorganised hobbyists ...

A harsh way to describe "No 10."
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:4% less economic turnover:
Plus One!

The money available for education, healthcare, the criminal justice system etc comes from that wealth creation. Taking care of the environment and using fewer resources is important, but a hit of this scale in an unplanned way will cause severe harm to the most vulnerable in our society. As usual not so much to the well-off and the privileged and the powerful.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Will it matter of people lose their job?
John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

EU VISAs after Brexit - also other (leaving) EU matters for cycle tourists only please.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:4% less economic turnover:
Plus One!

The money available for education, healthcare, the criminal justice system etc comes from that wealth creation. Taking care of the environment and using fewer resources is important, but a hit of this scale in an unplanned way will cause severe harm to the most vulnerable in our society. As usual not so much to the well-off and the privileged and the powerful.

Jonathan

Growth in GDP is commonly taken as the measure of economic betterment. It is a poor indication of improvement in our situation. Increases are counted as "wealth creation", but this is crude to the point of absurdity..
It measures all economic activity that the government can measure, even illegal activity. Road accidents boost our GDP since they generate repairs etc.
Producing more and more Covid vaccine is clearly good and adds to GDP, but it would be better if we did not need to.
It is obviously odd to say that we have to dig up and burn oil before we can afford to mitigate the effects of CO2 generation.
What is needed is a better way of measuring our progress towards a more sustainable state, and one which provides us all with a decent life.
Public spending, on heath, education, and many other things, is essential for a decent society, and indeed for growth too.
Much of the economic activity which GDP aggregates is useless or even detrimental, and if it is "wealth creation" I find it an odd way of reckoning.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, GDP has many faults and limitations. However it's often the least worst metric that's available.

But GDP wasn't mentioned in my words which you quoted...

I was merely pointing out that the ability to fund those beneficial items of public expenditure ultimately originates in wealth creation.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Reply to mike
:)
Italy I think several years ago decided to include the works of organised crime in its GPD figures.
Sweep
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote:Yes, GDP has many faults and limitations. However it's often the least worst metric that's available.

But GDP wasn't mentioned in my words which you quoted...

I was merely pointing out that the ability to fund those beneficial items of public expenditure ultimately originates in wealth creation.

Jonathan

GDP is by far the most common measure of growth used, and increases are taken as a measure of national progress in headlines daily. If another measure of wealth creation is used perhaps it should be stated.
Many activities held to provide the wealth to be spent on public goods are detrimental to public good. P-ing to windward?
We need to get this right. More and more traffic increases growth, but is surely not needed to pay for the health care for which it generates the need.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Sweep wrote:Reply to mike
:)
Italy I think several years ago decided to include the works of organised crime in its GPD figures.
You should check to see what the UK includes.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote:
Jdsk wrote:I was merely pointing out that the ability to fund those beneficial items of public expenditure ultimately originates in wealth creation.

Many activities held to provide the wealth to be spent on public goods are detrimental to public good. P-ing to windward?
We need to get this right. More and more traffic increases growth, but is surely not needed to pay for the health care for which it generates the need.

Please have a look at the context... this was about an unintended drop of "economic turnover" consequent on Leaving the EU. It wasn't about a better approach to transport or a greener economy or organised crime.

If that drop occurs it will make less money available for "education, healthcare, the criminal justice system".

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote:Please have a look at the context... this was about an unintended drop of "economic turnover" consequent on Leaving the EU. It wasn't about a better approach to transport or a greener economy or organised crime.

If that drop occurs it will make less money available for "education, healthcare, the criminal justice system".

Jonathan

I wanted to make the points I have made about the inadequacies of how we presently do the sums.
If we continue to reckon up the balance sheet in the way we do at present, then we will not avert climate disaster.
The public goods you mention are investments in society, and not to be thought of as a drain on improvement. They are essential.
Many of the items on the balance sheet which are thought of as providing the money to invest in fact make the world a worse place. Do we really have to give each other more and more plastic rubbish in order to be able to afford better schools?
CH understandably welcomes any diminution in our rate of exploitation of the finite resources of the planet. For sure, its is an indiscriminate drop of turnover, but at least it is a slowdown in our hurtling progress towards climate catastrophe.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote:CH understandably welcomes any diminution in our rate of exploitation of the finite resources of the planet. For sure, its is an indiscriminate drop of turnover, but at least it is a slowdown in our hurtling progress towards climate catastrophe.

Anyone who favours an unplanned hit to economic turnover of this magnitude should acknowledge the effects on those beneficial components of public expenditure. They might think that it's worthwhile, I don't. But ignoring them turns this into rhetoric and fantasy rather than anything worthwhile.

And, as above, if we want a greener economy we should discuss that, and how to achieve it, and what will need to be done to deliver it. It's very important (is anything more important?) but it's a very different matter from what I think we'll have caused by Leaving.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And on "EU visas after Brexit", or nearly... I've seen it suggested that those last minute applications for EHICs will be managed as early applications for GHICs.

We'll see.

Jonathan