EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Post by willem jongman »

This is just one of many forms of EU consumer protection that people in the UK have lost. It is what they voted for.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Our GHICs have just arrived. Different colour from EHICs. Expire end of 2025.

Jonathan
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Jdsk wrote:Our GHICs have just arrived. Different colour from EHICs. Expire end of 2025.

Jonathan

What does it say you can use them for and where does it say you can use them?
Jdsk

EU visas after Brexit

Post by Jdsk »

GHIC1.png
Attachments
GHIC2.png
RickH

Post by RickH »

According to this page

Where you can use your card

You can use a GHIC or an EHIC if you’re travelling to an EU country.

You cannot use a GHIC or an existing EHIC in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland. You’ll need travel insurance with healthcare cover.

You can use a UK passport to get medically necessary healthcare in Norway (for example emergency treatment, or to treat a pre-existing condition).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Just been sorting out travel for an event we're working on later in the year.

An additional gotcha on the Schengen Visa Waiver is that you can be asked to show "sufficient means of subsistence" on entry to Schengen.

This amount differs per member state, how long you're planning to visit and what accommodation you have pre-booked.

For France, if you don't have a hotel room booked for every night of your stay (NB hotel, not campsite) it's 120 Euros per day in immediately accessible funds or 60 Euros if you do have a hotel room for every night booked.

For Germany, it's 45 euros per day.

Others have more complicated calculations based on local minimum wages.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the warning.

"Means of Subsistence for Schengen Visa"
"Proofing (sic) financial sufficiency when applying for a Schengen Visa or entering the Schengen Area"
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-application-requirements/means-subsistence/

... but I don't know if that's a reliable site... does anyone know anything official or authoritative that describes the requirements for all of the relevant Member States in one place?

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

This is the kind of thing many non-EU visitors to the UK have had to deal with for decades. And not only to the UK but many countries, of course.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Yes, the rule(s) is there and you need to be aware of it. However I imagine it will only be checked and then enforced if you are 'suspect'. The big question is what is suspect. Middle aged tourer on a bicycle planning to camp can be seen in a variety of ways.

If travelling with no return ticket then length of stay could be a problem. They could say it's potentially 90 days. That is a big wad of cash.

However, I travel a lot and have crossed many, many borders by land, sea and air and can never remember having to show financial means even though it is often a requirement for entry. The only time it was ever an issue was when applying for a Chinese Visa extension in a small out of the way town. The officials did it by the book and that was one of the requirements. Fortunately an e-bank savings account had enough money in it.

Only time will tell how onerous this requirement will be.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

We live in the age of the credit card...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bmblbzzz wrote:This is the kind of thing many non-EU visitors to the UK have had to deal with for decades. And not only to the UK but many countries, of course.

Yes and we could start to see the ruses that travellers use in other continents.

Buying return ticket that has changeable date or even a ticket with a near return date that you throw away.

Credit cards not always accepted by immigration. Need money in account. Get friend or family to dump large amount of cash into your account for border crossing, then transfer back.

etc, etc, etc.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Bmblbzzz wrote:We live in the age of the credit card...
US customs didn't accept credit cards as available funds last time I had a nice chat with them. Not sure if the EU do.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I think that might be a matter for individual Member States...

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

st599_uk wrote:
US customs didn't accept credit cards as available funds last time I had a nice chat with them. Not sure if the EU do.

Would they with a recent statement showing a balance and credit limit? Credit cards are more "accessible" when travelling than a bank account and even with a blank account your could doctor the statement e.g. by paying in loads previous month statement, getting another statement (with the deposited funds and then withdraw it all (repaying what you borrowed to artificially inflate your apparent balance). What sort of things would immigration accept for proof of funds given how carrying loas of cash is not a particularly sensible option.

Ian
RickH

Post by RickH »

Psamathe wrote:
st599_uk wrote:

Would they with a recent statement showing a balance and credit limit? Credit cards are more "accessible" when travelling than a bank account and even with a blank account your could doctor the statement e.g. by paying in loads previous month statement, getting another statement (with the deposited funds and then withdraw it all (repaying what you borrowed to artificially inflate your apparent balance). What sort of things would immigration accept for proof of funds given how carrying loas of cash is not a particularly sensible option.

Ian

Is it just a single statement? When I was involved with the reverse (sort of) process involving an organisation "sponsoring" someone needing a visa to come to the UK for a visit we needed to provide 6 months worth of statements. But that must be 10 years or more ago.

I not sure what I would do now if asked to show my bank balance. I've got the balance, etc. available on an app on my phone. I suppose I can download PDFs of statements if need be. I've not had a physical statement for any financial in years, apart from annual water rates & council tax bills/statements.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.