EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Post by st599_uk »

rualexander wrote:
st599_uk wrote:Even as an EU citizen under FOM, you had to apply after 3 months.

You can apply for a Visa class D (Residence) for tourism, but you will have to prove you have medical insurance, income and attest you won't work. See https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blog ... ays/#third

Nothing on that Nomadicmatt site makes me think there is any reasonably practical way of obtaining a long term tourism visa in a series of countries to allow travelling through Europe for a period of more than 3 months.
The visas referred to are residency visas and are awkward to obtain and may have various conditions attached.

It may be the case that even as an EU member state citizen strictly speaking the 3 months rule has always applied but in reality it hasn't, many northern European retirees have spent their winters in milder southern climes, many cycle tourists have spent months (more than 3) travelling throughout Europe, and as mentioned earlier, the yachting fraternity have cruised the med unhindered.
As an EU member state citizen, there was no real risk of sanction or deportation, but as a non EU member state citizen, things are very different.

A residency visa gives you time in the issuing country, plus your 90days in Schengen.

They're not easy to get, and would require prebooked accommodation at the very least.

I did hear at the RYA Yacht Cruising Forum that there was a better offer if the UK would reciprocate, but no news since then (February)
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:What do you want to go abroad for?
Once or twice a month or so, we cross the river into England. That's as far as we would want to go. :wink:

Weather, considerate drivers, campsites, loads of maintained cycle paths, etc., etc.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Once I had mountains in the palm of my hand
And rivers that ran through every day
I must have been mad
I never knew what I had
Until I threw it all away

Jonathan
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

st599_uk wrote:
A residency visa gives you time in the issuing country, plus your 90days in Schengen.

Clearly.
But it doesn't help much if you want to spend six months say, cycling from Nordkapp to Cape Tarifa, or from the Algarve to the Black Sea, etc.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Parts of the EU gain large amounts of income from British visitors.
I can't see them making it difficult to visit and put people off from coming.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Very few stay for more than a few weeks

I think reciprocity shall ensure that restrictions shall not be as severe as feared
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote:Parts of the EU gain large amounts of income from British visitors.

I'd expect most of those visitors are within Schengen Area for only a few weeks each year so the 90/180 rule will be irrelevant to them (and those countries visited will still get their income).

Getting visas only seems to be a problem for a few countries, the vast majority you just turn-up at the border and get 30-90 days in minutes. Even some "stricter" countries are straight-forward e.g. Myanmar where you just fill-in an online form and have 30 days e-mailed to you within an hour.

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

francovendee wrote:Parts of the EU gain large amounts of income from British visitors.

And arguably even more so vice versa.

What has anyone actually gained from this whole fiasco?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Absolutely, its all about them not including us as it always has been. We should never have joined the Franco German Empire in the first place.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

al_yrpal wrote:Absolutely, its all about them not including us as it always has been. We should never have joined the Franco German Empire in the first place. Al

I've been waiting to see how the supporters of brexit were going to shrug responsibility for the disaster which is about to crash down on us. I guessed this would be trying to point the finger of blame back at the EU and this appears to be a remarkable attempt to do just that. The main thrust of their twisting of the facts during the Brexit debate was aimed at convincing us that EU was trying to swallow us up, wrap us in their regulations and force us into their (non-existent) federal army.

Now it turns out they'd been giving us the cold shoulder all along! Nasty EU! All we wanted to do was be your special friend, but you kept pushing us away...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's all a cunning plan. They are totally dependent on us and at the last minute they will be us paying handsomely to go there. Among other concessions, German holidaymakers will all leave their beach towels at home. (A beach umbrella will be more use when the pigs get airborne.)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote:
Absolutely, its all about them not including us...

Al

You obviously haven't noticed, but we're leaving them, not vice-versa.

Just so you're aware
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

This whole discussion has been done to death on the motorhome forums.

The ultimate fact is very few people will want to stay more than 90 days in 180 in the Schengen area. This means that it will not be very far up the agenda of those doing the negotiations and we have bigger problems to solve.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Absolutely, its all about them not including us...

Al

You obviously haven't noticed, but we're leaving them, not vice-versa.

Just so you're aware

I'm with the majority who voted to leave and then voted for a government with the dermination to actually make it happen yes, just so you are aware. We will be leaving the superstate despite their continuing blatant attempts to continue to control our laws, immigration and our seas. Onwards and upwards!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Oven ready. LOL