EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
KTHSullivan

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Post by KTHSullivan »

And would mostly visit one country.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks x2.

Ours used to be <14d and in one country. Now they aren't.

Are there any statistics on this?

Jonathan
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Jonathan, just a bit of observation and informed opinion either good or bad.

(1) Majority of those in full time employment would in all probability be only be able to secure 14 days leave.

(2) A significant proportion of those taking holidays within Europe would not be cyclists.

(3) A fortnight (see above) would effectively restrict distance covered on a cycle tour, unless it's a head down/a£$e up trip.

(4) A vast majority fly to Southern Europe to be assured "good weather" and due to the time restrictions of having only a fortnight. For some flying is part of the adventure. (Not for me I hasten to add).

(5) Flying with a bike is a pain in the proverbial if only going for 2 weeks, although I have done it with a Dahon in a suitcase.

Obviously there are a few caveats: The most obvious being If one is engaging in a cycle tour in or near the "Low countries" or near national boundaries it would be possible to visit several countries in a day.

Again my 2p worth.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Indeed, even if one had five or six weeks holiday and took it all at once there would be no problem
I think reciprocity shall ensure a fair solution
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

You assume that people only travel for leisure.

I don't think I've ever been under 90 in 180 during my career, apart from this year.

And working across Europe, I have friends spread all over the place.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Indeed, even if one had five or six weeks holiday and took it all at once there would be no problem
I think reciprocity shall ensure a fair solution

Do you mean that it will or that it should?

Thanks

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

st599_uk wrote:You assume that people only travel for leisure.

I don't think I've ever been under 90 in 180 during my career, apart from this year.

And working across Europe, I have friends spread all over the place.

There must be a lot of people in a similar situation, truck drivers who go back and forth each week for example, their days must soon add up, shall they have to be recorded and checked in and out?
I remember in 1990 reading about reporting to the cops or town hall, compulsory changing cash etc, but there were no problems really
Maybe the period up to 2020 shall seem like a golden age in retrospect
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There must be a lot of people in a similar situation, truck drivers who go back and forth each week for example, their days must soon add up, shall they have to be recorded and checked in and out?

Tachographs are already required. And there's an imminent driver registration scheme:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driver-docu ... ad-haulage

And a mandatory permit scheme for operators:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ecmt-intern ... mt-permits

That's in addition to the new hassle on moving goods.

I recommend ciaran the euro courier:
https://twitter.com/donnyc1975?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Re 14 days being the norm. I spend between 4 and 6 months abroad each year and up till this winter have done so for over 20 years. OK, this isn't in Europe, but age, insurance, health etc is orientating me towards long stays in Europe. Others on here have talked about long (4 month plus) tours in Europe in the summer. Obviously not a majority, but I suspect there are quite a few cyclists, not to mention campervans, home owners, Benidorm type hotels, etc.

Touring in Europe has the advantage that you can pop home for a day or so to save exceeding annual travel insurance time limit. Travel insurance is going to be a big cost for us old 'uns.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

There must be a lot of people in a similar situation, truck drivers who go back and forth each week for example, their days must soon add up, shall they have to be recorded and checked in and out?

There is always the option to apply for a second passport; not a duplicate of ones previous passport, but one with a completely different number. They were issued quite often to individuals that had business in Arab states that had previously travelled to Israel and vice versa. I and quite a few former colleagues in the shore based marine engineering survey trade used a passport for business and a completely separate passport for private travel.

I am sure though that in the case mentioned above there will be reciprocal exemptions or additional visa requirements for work based travel.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

KTHSullivan wrote:There is always the option to apply for a second passport; not a duplicate of ones previous passport, but one with a completely different number. They were issued quite often to individuals that had business in Arab states that had previously travelled to Israel and vice versa. I and quite a few former colleagues in the shore based marine engineering survey trade used a passport for business and a completely separate passport for private travel.

My father travelled on work to both Israel and non-recognising countries, and Taiwan and the PRC. He usually had two but if he'd got the wrong combination he'd have needed four.

I don't expect that trick to help tourists who need a Schengen visa or commercial drivers. The whole thing's databased now, and the commercial drivers have a registration scheme.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:There is always the option to apply for a second passport; not a duplicate of ones previous passport, but one with a completely different number. They were issued quite often to individuals that had business in Arab states that had previously travelled to Israel and vice versa. I and quite a few former colleagues in the shore based marine engineering survey trade used a passport for business and a completely separate passport for private travel.

My father travelled on work to both Israel and non-recognising countries, and Taiwan and the PRC. He usually had two but if he'd got the wrong combination he'd have needed four.

I don't expect that trick to help tourists who need a Schengen visa or commercial drivers. The whole thing's databased now, and the commercial drivers have a registration scheme.

Jonathan

Also I suspect that UK Gov. is careful scrutinising reasons for multiple passports (and getting round visa constraints probably not acceptable).

When I travelled (not business) Israel & Arab countries I had a few sheets of paper elastic banded into my passport and Israel (then) were always OK with stamping the blank paper sheets (no deception, just ask and they did it).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hadn't heard that workaround before. Interesting.

Jonathan
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

simonhill wrote:Re 14 days being the norm. I spend between 4 and 6 months abroad each year and up till this winter have done so for over 20 years. OK, this isn't in Europe, but age, insurance, health etc is orientating me towards long stays in Europe. Others on here have talked about long (4 month plus) tours in Europe in the summer. Obviously not a majority, but I suspect there are quite a few cyclists, not to mention campervans, home owners, Benidorm type hotels, etc.

Touring in Europe has the advantage that you can pop home for a day or so to save exceeding annual travel insurance time limit. Travel insurance is going to be a big cost for us old 'uns.

I meet many many people travelling about Europe on their bikes who spend months on the road, maybe we recognise each other by our kit/bike/attire and general demeanor and are drawn to spend time together. There's a certain look that people and their bikes have who spend months on the road compared to those on a two week holiday.
There are going to be a lot of people affected far more than the people who take two week holidays in France every summer realise.
I am good friends with at least a dozen like myself who spend all summer cycling in the EU and have a full address book of other aquaintences who do the same. Still I suppose we will be seen as collaterol damage in this debacle.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote:Hadn't heard that workaround before. Interesting.

Jonathan

It was many years ago (30'ish years ago). Immigration and emigration to/from Israel was still very very strict (I visited scuba-diving often travelling through into Sinai) but even then they'd separate girlfriend and myself, interview me, then girlfriend interviewed and answers cross-checked.

I doubt they'd allow the blank bit of paper trick these days (if it's still necessary).

Ian