EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3410
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby roubaixtuesday » 20 Nov 2020, 3:47pm

al_yrpal wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Absolutely, its all about them not including us...

Al


You obviously haven't noticed, but we're leaving them, not vice-versa.

Just so you're aware


I'm with the majority who voted to leave and then voted for a government with the dermination to actually make it happen yes, just so you are aware. We will be leaving the superstate despite their continuing blatant attempts to continue to control our laws, immigration and our seas. Onwards and upwards!

Al


You've lost me Al. Before you said it was "...all about them not including us..."

How confusing.

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3410
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby roubaixtuesday » 20 Nov 2020, 3:48pm

thirdcrank wrote:Oven ready. LOL


As in we've been completely stuffed, maybe...

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14543
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby Cyril Haearn » 20 Nov 2020, 3:52pm

The Superstate, +1!
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Toffee
Posts: 106
Joined: 2 Sep 2014, 9:28pm

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby Toffee » 20 Nov 2020, 3:53pm

al_yrpal wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Absolutely, its all about them not including us...

Al


You obviously haven't noticed, but we're leaving them, not vice-versa.

Just so you're aware


I'm with the majority who voted to leave and then voted for a government with the dermination to actually make it happen yes, just so you are aware. We will be leaving the superstate despite their continuing blatant attempts to continue to control our laws, immigration and our seas. Onwards and upwards!

Al


i don't know if you realise but we left on 31st January 2020.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8855
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby al_yrpal » 20 Nov 2020, 4:03pm

Toffee wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
You obviously haven't noticed, but we're leaving them, not vice-versa.

Just so you're aware


I'm with the majority who voted to leave and then voted for a government with the dermination to actually make it happen yes, just so you are aware. We will be leaving the superstate despite their continuing blatant attempts to continue to control our laws, immigration and our seas. Onwards and upwards!

Al


i don't know if you realise but we left on 31st January 2020.


Eeerm.... doh, did we? Pleeeeeese

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Navrig
Posts: 120
Joined: 9 Apr 2018, 12:46pm

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby Navrig » 20 Nov 2020, 4:04pm

Please do NOT turn this into a political debating thread otherwise we will lose the opportunity to create a useful resource for anyone who is unsure of the VISA situation when touring in the EU or Schengen countries.

I have already benefited from starting this thread because I was not aware of the 90 day limit within the Schengen countries. Now I know this I have been able to investigate more closely and realise that some of my planned (3 month) route goes through non-Schengen countries so, if all goes to plan, I'll be within the 90 days.

If the politial debate continues I'll simply ask Graham to unsticky and this thread will be lost.

nirakaro
Posts: 1186
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 2:01am

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby nirakaro » 20 Nov 2020, 4:20pm

Well said.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8855
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby al_yrpal » 20 Nov 2020, 4:26pm

The Visa situation is not yet agreed and set in stone so this thread is pretty useless as it stands. When it is settled I will be pleased to post something succict and easily understood.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Toffee
Posts: 106
Joined: 2 Sep 2014, 9:28pm

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby Toffee » 20 Nov 2020, 4:38pm

Navrig wrote:Please do NOT turn this into a political debating thread otherwise we will lose the opportunity to create a useful resource for anyone who is unsure of the VISA situation when touring in the EU or Schengen countries.

I have already benefited from starting this thread because I was not aware of the 90 day limit within the Schengen countries. Now I know this I have been able to investigate more closely and realise that some of my planned (3 month) route goes through non-Schengen countries so, if all goes to plan, I'll be within the 90 days.

If the politial debate continues I'll simply ask Graham to unsticky and this thread will be lost.


I would have thought your biggest problem next year would be Covid 19.

st599_uk
Posts: 304
Joined: 4 Nov 2018, 8:59pm

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby st599_uk » 20 Nov 2020, 4:39pm

al_yrpal wrote:The Visa situation is not yet agreed and set in stone so this thread is pretty useless as it stands. When it is settled I will be pleased to post something succict and easily understood.

Al
It has been agreed and disseminated by the UK government to businesses. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

Jdsk
Posts: 3777
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Visas for EU countries

Postby Jdsk » 20 Nov 2020, 4:40pm

Navrig wrote:I have already benefited from starting this thread because I was not aware of the 90 day limit within the Schengen countries.

Along the same lines I'd like to remind everyone to also think, where relevant, about their future need for health insurance and to check their permission to drive in foreign countries... and yes, there really are two different International Driving Permits. And about mobile 'phone tariffs... and please share good 'phone solutions for touring in other countries.

Jonathan

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

Travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein will change from 1 January 2021.

Things you may need to do before you go include:
check your passport
get travel insurance that covers your healthcare
check you have the right driving documents
organise pet travel - contact your vet at least 4 months before you go

There are more things to do if you’re travelling for business. For example, going to meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music.


From 1 January 2021, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end.

Psamathe
Posts: 11530
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Visas for EU countries

Postby Psamathe » 20 Nov 2020, 5:00pm

Jdsk wrote:...about mobile 'phone tariffs... and please share good 'phone solutions for touring in other countries.
....

I'm on a pay monthly contract so I recently renewed my contract for 18 months because the contract specified free calls and data in EU countries (as per current situation but 50GB a month data limit in EU). So my "problem" has been delayed rather than solved. As it's part of my contract with no qualifiers about "end of transition" of "subject to ..." they can't take it away.

Ian

Navrig
Posts: 120
Joined: 9 Apr 2018, 12:46pm

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby Navrig » 20 Nov 2020, 6:03pm

Toffee wrote:
Navrig wrote:Please do NOT turn this into a political debating thread otherwise we will lose the opportunity to create a useful resource for anyone who is unsure of the VISA situation when touring in the EU or Schengen countries.

I have already benefited from starting this thread because I was not aware of the 90 day limit within the Schengen countries. Now I know this I have been able to investigate more closely and realise that some of my planned (3 month) route goes through non-Schengen countries so, if all goes to plan, I'll be within the 90 days.

If the politial debate continues I'll simply ask Graham to unsticky and this thread will be lost.


I would have thought your biggest problem next year would be Covid 19.




I didn't mention next year. I'll be in Vietnam until the start of 2022.

simonhill
Posts: 3184
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 11:28am
Location: Essex

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby simonhill » 20 Nov 2020, 6:06pm

Re Navrig's bold post above: Although I take his point, I said on the first or second page of this post that I think that once things settle down we will need 2 new stickies, one detailing (only the facts) of Entry/Visas and the other a Health one after the demise of EHIC.

The sticky of a guide for new tourers was unstuck after it became a debating ground rather than a list of things to consider.Such is the way of things, I expect this may go the same way.

Having just started to look for insurance to replace my age limited annual policy, I suspect getting insurance will be a bigger problem for most than visas. I'm trying to remember if we used to have reciprocal arrangements with certain EU countries, pre EU. I certainly travelled extensively in France without any insurance back in the 60s and early 70s.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3845
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby PDQ Mobile » 20 Nov 2020, 6:26pm

^^
Yes health insurance will be the real killer of travel to Europe. Longer durations will be worst.
Any existing conditions and it will become prohibitively expensive I fear.
But some of us have known and been saying that for a very long time.

I am more optimistic about phone use because of the easy changing of a SIM to a local one.
The providers may reach agreement to maintain market share.
If they don't though, expect a bit more cost.
And obviously a bit of a faff having a new/different number.

I would be interested in ANY benefits expected by happy leave folk?