EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pq

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby pq » 23 Nov 2020, 7:50pm

France has made various special arrangements for Brits, but nothing yet for people who are tourists or who for whatever reason don't qualify for residence and so are treated as tourists even though they live in France. It seems highly unlikely that will change before the end of the year.

As for business visas, I know nothing about those it's true, but the thread is about tourism.
One link to your website is enough. G

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 23 Nov 2020, 8:29pm

simonhill wrote:My guess (lots of ???) is that countries like Portugal, Spain and maybe Greece and France will introduce an easy to get 'tourist extension visa' to facilitate the many long termers that stay each year. This is unlikely to help cyclists much as it would restrict you to that country and you might(??) not be able to enter another country if your overall 90 was up.

It would also depend on how it's counted. e.g. Cycle round NL DE, eastern and get back into Spain with a couple of weeks left on your 90/180 to use your Spanish tourist visa for a month in Spain before using your last 14 days Schengen to cycle back through France. But Spain is in Schengen so when you cross France to Spain (for your moth in Spain) does your 90 day counter stop and with no border post to stamp your passport how do you prove you've left Schengen when you entered Spain (when you are playing different visas in the same area ...).

Ian

Navrig

Postby Navrig » 24 Nov 2020, 3:53am

The last page (or so) of posts seems to justify keeping this thread live for now. I agree that once the dust settles it may be worth unstickying this and posting a closed stick with the rules as implemented post 1/1/21.

This thread does allow for some discussion and for people to consider various scenarios around their planned tours.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Nov 2020, 8:12am

Surely if you're going on an extended holiday for more than 3 months round Europe you could start it by spending a day touring consulates or embassies getting any necessary visas before your trip? If your trip isn't worth that bit of pre planning then why bother with it? Our time in the EU has spoilt us I reckon.

Btw I had a relative who wasn't a UK citizen but an American. This meant his annual trips to Yugoslavia overland by train or to Spain sometimes by train meant doing just as I suggested. He booked a hotel and had a pre holiday trip to London doing the visas all in less than one day. It might take longer now though it's still going to be possible.

If this minor inconvenience compared to your 3 month plus holiday doesn't work for you then I suspect you don't really like cycle touring enough. Seriously, i would love to have a 3 month plus cycle tour. I simply can't get the holidays or afford it and you guys are moaning about having to potentially sort out a few visas before your trip. A problem of privilege I reckon.

I know this was started as a thread about what was needed to travel round Europe post Brexit but that situation isn't close to being sorted out. Is it? Let's face it this thread has become based on speculation and whinging. Sorry to be that blunt but it's too early for the situation to be clear so that's what it sounds like to me.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 24 Nov 2020, 9:40am

thirdcrank wrote:
Let's continue to share questions and answers.

While avoiding ideology.

Yes, please.

Jonathan

PS: Other threads are available, eg:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=140984&p=1553166#p1553166

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 24 Nov 2020, 9:58am

Tangled Metal wrote:Surely if you're going on an extended holiday for more than 3 months round Europe you could start it by spending a day touring consulates or embassies getting any necessary visas before your trip? If your trip isn't worth that bit of pre planning then why bother with it? Our time in the EU has spoilt us I reckon.

Btw I had a relative who wasn't a UK citizen but an American. This meant his annual trips to Yugoslavia overland by train or to Spain sometimes by train meant doing just as I suggested. He booked a hotel and had a pre holiday trip to London doing the visas all in less than one day. It might take longer now though it's still going to be possible.

If this minor inconvenience compared to your 3 month plus holiday doesn't work for you then I suspect you don't really like cycle touring enough. Seriously, i would love to have a 3 month plus cycle tour. I simply can't get the holidays or afford it and you guys are moaning about having to potentially sort out a few visas before your trip. A problem of privilege I reckon.

I know this was started as a thread about what was needed to travel round Europe post Brexit but that situation isn't close to being sorted out. Is it? Let's face it this thread has become based on speculation and whinging. Sorry to be that blunt but it's too early for the situation to be clear so that's what it sounds like to me.

Really?
And the Consulates and Embassies are where?
London mostly.

Which is a full days travel away and costs a great deal.

Get round how many in the few hours one has in the Capital?
A holiday in the Capital? No thanks.
It sounds firstly highly expensive (how much is a hotel there?) and secondly a total PITA.

And avoiding that amounts to being "spoiled" by being in the EU.
(Your are Nigel Farage and I claim my fiver.)

Well a little spoiling never hurt.
I like a little spoiling.
Making life a bit easier and enjoyable.

If this is anyone's idea of a gain, I just cannot see it.

And we don't (didn't) all travel for holidays but for lots of diverse reasons.

Navrig

Postby Navrig » 24 Nov 2020, 10:30am

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Surely if you're going on an extended holiday for more than 3 months round Europe you could start it by spending a day touring consulates or embassies getting any necessary visas before your trip? If your trip isn't worth that bit of pre planning then why bother with it? Our time in the EU has spoilt us I reckon.

Really?
And the Consulates and Embassies are where?
London mostly.

Which is a full days travel away and costs a great deal.

Get round how many in the few hours one has in the Capital?
A holiday in the Capital? No thanks.
It sounds firstly highly expensive (how much is a hotel there?) and secondly a total PITA.

And avoiding that amounts to being "spoiled" by being in the EU.
(Your are Nigel Farage and I claim my fiver.)

Well a little spoiling never hurt.
I like a little spoiling.
Making life a bit easier and enjoyable.

If this is anyone's idea of a gain, I just cannot see it.

And we don't (didn't) all travel for holidays but for lots of diverse reasons.

A long stay VISA for France will be 99 Euros. A long tour could easily take in 7 countries so your VISA outlay could be IRO 6-800 Euros. I think many allow online applications so a trip to London may not be needed. Certainly adds to the costs.
Last edited by Navrig on 24 Nov 2020, 10:40am, edited 1 time in total.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 24 Nov 2020, 10:39am

Typical Brexiter comment. It doesn't justify introducing inconveniences and barriers to travel when there were none before. You might also mention the expense of buying health insurance for an extended trip - it's not cheap and, of course, wasn't needed until recently.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Nov 2020, 1:21pm

There's many accusations and incorrect comments going around about my post. I voted remain and have always believed Brexit would lead to more problems and not solve anything significant. So let's clear that accusation about being a supporter of brexit.

Second accusation was that I'm trolling. I'm actually surprised you took my post as trolling, posting to intentionally provoke emotion or upset. My intention really was to make the point that if you fall outside the 90 days in 180 day period category then it's likely you'll have to spend a day in London getting visas for the countries you intend you visit. My point was that whilst it is inconvenient compared to the system we had as part of the EU it's likely to be the system we would have to live with (well some of you as I'm unlikely to get these opportunity whilst still working and probably not after retirement so an jealous if you have this issue).

My point including the view that a day in London is a small price to pay for what imho would be a cycle tour of a lifetime, taking more than 90 days on a tour counts as a big holiday to me. One of my grandparents, being an American citizen, used to have to do just this for his annual 2 week holiday. He used to take the work travel club holidays which being a rail worker meant train journeys through Europe taking advantage of reciprocal arrangements with foreign rail companies.

Now stating the obvious, you're not going to get around the rules when they're finalised. Wishing you could have the benefits of the EU when it's increasingly looking unlikely isn't going to change anything. You have to live with what we end up or avoid those long holidays.

As to the freedom of movement within there EU that were expected to lose, it was a benefit that compared to what er could end up was kind of spoiling us. Not many external nations to the EU had that. If they did it was paid for with a fee arrangement and/ or sticking to EU rules. Tbh I reckon it's very supporter of brexit attitude to think they would, should or could get that level of benefit without cost in some way. More supporter of brexit than pointing out the hassle factor that's Brexit is likely to put you in if you want long duration, multi country cycle tours.

Personally a long duration tour, if I ever had one, would have me planning it for a long time ahead. I'd be budgeting and saving for it basing decisions on likely costs. Visas will likely be an additional cost. Whether getting one online or having to visit embassies I'd view that as part of the necessary preparation. Try to enjoy the process. I'd certainly be getting excited with every step in my planning made. I guess I'm a positive person who sees the end result of the planning, a life experience that's unlikely to be repeated.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Nov 2020, 1:47pm

We've taken back control and to prove it we intend driving over a cliff.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 24 Nov 2020, 2:01pm

Others have raised concerns over this, but additionally, say you got a French visa to prolong your Schengen Area travels (outside but including France). When your Portsmouth Caen ferry docks in Caen at the start, do you have control over whether you enter on Schengen or French visa and when you cycle France into Germany, how do you get a Schengen Area entry stamp as at that point you are moving within the Schengen area (and no border posts anyway).

My cycle route France->Germany ended-up bouncing backwards and forwards, one night in France, next in Germany, next back into France, etc. (EV15 on Rhine). Even the France->Belgium day involved crossing the border quite a lot of times as the cycle route took the best route for a bike irrespective of the border.

Ian

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 24 Nov 2020, 4:32pm

My point including the view that a day in London is a small price to pay for what imho would be a cycle tour of a lifetime, taking more than 90 days on a tour counts as a big holiday to me.

If what you are suggesting was actually possible and feasible that would be a fair enough solution. But it isn't
It's not actually possible to get long stay tourist visas for many of the countries in Europe, they apply the Schengen criteria and that's it.

Boring_Username

Postby Boring_Username » 24 Nov 2020, 5:02pm

rualexander wrote:It's not actually possible to get long stay tourist visas for many of the countries in Europe

yet

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 24 Nov 2020, 5:07pm

I've always found the idea that as soon as you step out of your house, particularly if going abroad, you are on holiday to be a bit annoying.

From the age of about 20, I knew what sort of life I wanted. I worked hard, paid off my mortgage, saved, scrimped and this enabled me to give up work and spend my winter's travelling, mainly cycling, abroad. I suspect that many other long-term tourers on this forum have either done something similar or else are retired.

To think of what is someone's life (or in my case half of it) as a simple holiday is rather wide of the mark.

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 24 Nov 2020, 5:25pm

Boring_Username wrote:
rualexander wrote:It's not actually possible to get long stay tourist visas for many of the countries in Europe

yet

It's unlikely to change as far as I can see.
Americans, Australians, New Zealanders, all the enthusiastic travelling nationalities have been faced with the Schengen travel limitations since they were introduced and no changes have been made to accommodate their aspirations for longer travel opportunities.