EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
reohn2

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Postby reohn2 » 24 Nov 2020, 6:03pm

thirdcrank wrote:We've taken back control and to prove it we intend driving over a cliff.

Yes indeed and a bl@@dy big cliff at that! :?

Of course for some,visas and all that insurance malarky won't matter,but they'll be the rich few who'll benefit most from the worst almighy cock up this country's electorate has been led down the garden path to believe which is nothing of the sort but is the biggest disaster in a life time for UK citizens.
I hope the Brexit supporters are happy,coz the truth is about to hit like a sledgehammer.

PS, sorry for the thread drift but I couldn't help it.
-----------------------------------------------------------

pete75

Postby pete75 » 24 Nov 2020, 6:31pm

Tangled Metal wrote:There's many accusations and incorrect comments going around about my post. I voted remain and have always believed Brexit would lead to more problems and not solve anything significant. So let's clear that accusation about being a supporter of brexit.

Second accusation was that I'm trolling. I'm actually surprised you took my post as trolling, posting to intentionally provoke emotion or upset. My intention really was to make the point that if you fall outside the 90 days in 180 day period category then it's likely you'll have to spend a day in London getting visas for the countries you intend you visit. My point was that whilst it is inconvenient compared to the system we had as part of the EU it's likely to be the system we would have to live with (well some of you as I'm unlikely to get these opportunity whilst still working and probably not after retirement so an jealous if you have this issue).

Which explains your attitude towards the matter.

Must admit I'm surprised - I find it hard to believe someone of your political views is actually against Brexit.
Last edited by pete75 on 25 Nov 2020, 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhilD28

Postby PhilD28 » 24 Nov 2020, 6:40pm

simonhill wrote:I've always found the idea that as soon as you step out of your house, particularly if going abroad, you are on holiday to be a bit annoying.

From the age of about 20, I knew what sort of life I wanted. I worked hard, paid off my mortgage, saved, scrimped and this enabled me to give up work and spend my winter's travelling, mainly cycling, abroad. I suspect that many other long-term tourers on this forum have either done something similar or else are retired.

To think of what is someone's life (or in my case half of it) as a simple holiday is rather wide of the mark.

Exactly. I did two jobs for years to save enough to retire while i was still strong enough and fit enough to cycle tour around Europe for months ata time, it is indeed a way of life. I personally know quite a few Brexit voters and a notable proportion of them never set foot outside of the UK and have no intention of doing so, but that won't stop them preventing others from travelling for extended periods abroad.
Someone mentioned they wish they could afford to take extended holidays. Well the way I do it, it costs me no more than staying at home, living out of a tent and cooking my own food just like many other travelling cyclists.
The next six months are going to be very interesting, and not in a good way.
I will still do whatever I can regarding visas and medical insurance to be able to continue my travels, but I would bet it will be either more difficult or more expensive or both.
Oh, BTW I have extensive eperience of working abroad as an engineering consultant and a musician (parallel careers) in both EU and non EU countries and I know which is (was) was the easiest and least expensive.

nsew

Postby nsew » 24 Nov 2020, 6:52pm

First off, as they say in America, don’t get your panties in a bunch. Or as Douglas Adams put it, don’t panic and carry a towel. Equip yourself with a map of Schengen - you’ve got 90 days to exit which actually opens up new worlds. When travelling long term no amount of pre-planning is going to get you very far. Just get your kit right, some money to see you through and head off. Visas and the like are easily obtained on the road.

Edited because I’ve just noticed the thread is pinned. LOL.
Last edited by nsew on 25 Nov 2020, 2:59am, edited 2 times in total.

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 24 Nov 2020, 7:04pm

nsew wrote:Visas and the like are easily obtained on the road

In some parts of the world, yes they are.

In the Schengen zone of the EU, beyond the 90 days out of 180 days allowance, no they are not easily obtained on the road.

That's the whole point of this thread.

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 24 Nov 2020, 7:41pm

rualexander wrote:

In the Schengen zone of the EU, beyond the 90 days out of 180 days allowance, no they are not easily obtained on the road.

Exactly.

What would be useful would be a list of countries within the EU (or more broadly within Schengen) where you can get a country specific visa which allows a stay longer than the default Schengen 90 out of 180 days.

We are pretty sure that France offers a long stay visa which also allows up to 90 days travel in the rest of Schengen.
As has already been pointed out, it isn't clear yet how the times will be counted, nor how transits in and out of France will be recorded.
From my very limited recent touring (across the Netherlands to Germany) exit from the UK was recorded but then the border crossing into Germany (and on the coach going back) was completely untroubled by any checks.
I have a vague memory of some official signs when leaving the Netherlands but I'm not sure that there was a border post.
It may be that new procedures will be required to record entry and exit for non-EU travellers.
It would be useful to get some feedback from, for example, other 5 eyes travellers.

It is also interesting, for example, to see what impact this has on Kiwis having their Overseas Experience who have tended in the past to head for the UK as a base then travel through Europe.

If anyone knows "rest of world" travellers who have visited Europe for more than 90 days, it would b e helpful to ask them then report back.

nsew

Postby nsew » 24 Nov 2020, 8:32pm

rualexander wrote:

Until we know the details of any potential deal that question cannot be answered. If there’s no deal or the deal enforces current Schengen non member state rules then the answer is no extension for reasons other than what’s termed humanitarian or majeure. There is a long stay visa ( 3-12months ) for France which allows visits to other Schengen states but only for a maximum duration of 90 days in 180. So 3-9months in France and 90 days in other Schengen states is possible.
Last edited by nsew on 25 Nov 2020, 3:03am, edited 1 time in total.

nsew

Postby nsew » 25 Nov 2020, 10:35am

Having slept on this it’s a little clearer this morning. You will get a stamp on entry to a country in the Schengen area and will be bound by the 90 from 180 from that date. Or face a penalty (exit country specific) on departure. So to prolong your travels over a 3 month period you will need to spend some time outside of Schengen. Croatia (non Schengen) for example will grant 3 months waiver to a UK passport holder on arrival. An extended French visa would obviously be desirable and something I would think obtainable as a cycle tourist providing you can show evidence of sufficient funds. Who’s to say other Schengen countries won’t offer something similar. Otherwise trips into Croatia, Morocco, Russia, Hungary etc will need to be incorporated.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... paper-says

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Nov 2020, 10:43am

nsew wrote:Otherwise trips into Croatia, Morocco, Russia, Hungary etc will need to be incorporated.

Hungary is currently in the Schengen Area.

Croatia is obliged to join, as are Bulgaria, Romania and Cyprus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

Jonathan

nsew

Postby nsew » 25 Nov 2020, 11:00am

The net draws closer by minute.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 25 Nov 2020, 11:23am

A few years ago I was in Eilat in Israel. A day trip over the border to Petra Jordan was on offer so we went. The trip was reasonably priced but the Jordan Visa for each of us was £90! When we expressed surprise at the cost of this we were told that £90 was what it cost someone of Jordanian nationality to get a Visa for a day visit to the UK. So, £90 was fair enough.

After Brexit proper free movement will end. I would expect that EU tourists visiting the UK will be admitted with a 3 month limit, the same as applies to Brits visiting the EU. . Presumably EU nationals will be able to apply to stay for longer periods if they wish to and that means applying for a Visa. Our borders will be back under our control and expelling EU criminals and keeping them out will become easier too.

All seems fair enough to me. :?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 25 Nov 2020, 11:33am

I don't know what the current situation is with things like the European arrest warrant and sharing of info. We could be back to a lot of the baddies sloping off to Spain to live a life of luxury on their ill-gotten gains while raising two digits to UK authorities.

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 25 Nov 2020, 11:36am

thirdcrank wrote:I don't know what the current situation is with things like the European arrest warrant and sharing of info. We could be back to a lot of the baddies sloping off to Spain to live a life of luxury on their ill-gotten gains while raising two digits to UK authorities.

The idea that cooperating less with our neighbours on crime will help fight crime is indeed a bold concept.

st599_uk

Postby st599_uk » 25 Nov 2020, 11:51am

al_yrpal wrote:
After Brexit proper free movement will end. I would expect that EU tourists visiting the UK will be admitted with a 3 month limit, the same as applies to Brits visiting the EU.

You expect wrong. According to the RYA (UK sailing governing body) Brexit webinar, the EU offered an extension to 6 months for all UK citizens if the UK reciprocated for all EU citizens, but the UK turned it down.

So from next year select EU citizens can visit the UK for 6 months, UK citizens can visit the EU for 90 days in a rolling 180 day window.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

st599_uk

Postby st599_uk » 25 Nov 2020, 12:01pm

st599_uk wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
After Brexit proper free movement will end. I would expect that EU tourists visiting the UK will be admitted with a 3 month limit, the same as applies to Brits visiting the EU.

You expect wrong. According to the RYA (UK sailing governing body) Brexit webinar, the EU offered an extension to 6 months for all UK citizens if the UK reciprocated for all EU citizens, but the UK turned it down.

So from next year select EU citizens can visit the UK for 6 months, UK citizens can visit the EU for 90 days in a rolling 180 day window.
See: https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/ ... -RYA-.aspx
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”