Route between Venice and Dubrovnik

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Matt25

Route between Venice and Dubrovnik

Post by Matt25 »

Hi,

I'm currently (I say 'currently', it's taking me years) cycling in stages from Calais to Istanbul. I'm rather optimistically hoping that I'll be able to fly out to Venice next year, cycle to Dubrovnik and then fly home. I'm looking for tips on which route to take. I want to stay fairly coastal and reasonably direct, but avoiding busy main roads etc.

I like my roads as quiet as possible, but like to stay overnight in towns/villages as I won't be carrying camping gear. I'm riding a 1953 Raleigh, so tarmac roads really, although it will cope with well maintained 'white roads'. It's got a 3 speed Sturmey hub gear, so tons of hills isn't great, but I can manage a few.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Matt
northerncyclist

Re: Route between Venice and Dubrovnik

Post by northerncyclist »

I took the road running parrarel to the coast road from Slano to Dubrovnik and that was far better than the coast road which I did not like. I guess Neum to Slano is similar but I dont know.....Just one thing about finishing in Dubrovnik there were no bicycle shops when I was there so if you need to box up a bike that could be a problem. That said this might have changed by now.
Matt25

Post by Matt25 »

Thanks, that's useful to know. I'll be taking a ctc bike bag with me, so that should do the job.

Matt
raybo

Post by raybo »

I planned a ride from Venice over to Trieste and then down into Croatia and eventually turned north into Slovenia and then back into Italy. When I asked locals about a route from Venice to Trieste, they all said to take the train as the area between the 2 was neither worth seeing nor safe to ride. I mapped out a route but took the train, instead.

When do you plan to do this ride? I did about 15 miles on the coast road (between Crikvenica and Senj) in early May. There wasn't much traffic and on the part of the road I was on there was a bit of shoulder, about wide enough to fit my bike and its panniers. There were clumps of cars usually with a big truck at its head. When these passed, I pulled over and stopped for it to pass. Individual cars weren't a problem. Here is the journal entry for the day I did that ride where I have a photo or two of the road itself.

I would recommend that you plot a route that includes as many islands as possible to stay off the coast road. I rode over Cres and Krk (there is a bridge back to the mainland from Krk). This will require ferries whose schedules might not always work with your biking.

I entered the my planning information I collected on a page on my website. The links there might be of use to you.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
Matt25

Post by Matt25 »

Thanks very much for that information. I read your journal post and it gives a really good impression of what to expect. I've driven the coast road many years ago and felt it might be worth avoiding on a bike, but I also have to consider where I'm going to spend each night. Looks like the key will be to do a lot of planning and looking at where the quiet roads might be. I quite like the idea of heading into Slovenia. Useful links on your web page too, thanks! Heading to the islands is a good shout too. Currently planning to head out in September.

Matt
pq

Post by pq »

I arrived in Dubrovnik from the south by bike a few years back and caught a bus north along the coast road. It's certainly not a road I'd consider cycling along, it was narrow and very busy - and that was at Easter.
One link to your website is enough. G
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

pq wrote:I arrived in Dubrovnik from the south by bike a few years back and caught a bus north along the coast road. It's certainly not a road I'd consider cycling along, it was narrow and very busy - and that was at Easter.

The coastal road is not welcoming to cyclists, though very beautiful. In-land roads are much safer, though very hilly.
Croatia and Slovenia have accomplished a fair bit for cycle tourists. Check out their tourist websites
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike