Bike touring board game

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo

Re: Bike touring board game

Post by raybo »

Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
nsew

Post by nsew »

“I’m the world’s leading expert on bike travel”. The guy gives me the creeps. Straight out of the American phoney preacher tradition. From the website.

I Need Your Help To Keep This All Going

Many people believe that Bicycle Txxxxxx Pro is run by a big company with 30+ employees… or that I have corporate sponsors giving me tons of money to travel around the world, but… that is certainly NOT the case!

Believe it or not, I do all of the work on this website by myself. Since 2007, all of the articles, books, emails, interviews, photos, podcasts and videos that you see on the Bicycle Xxxxxxx Pxx website and YouTube channel have been created by me (Darren xxxx) in my spare time. This takes up an enormous amount of time and energy… and it costs me thousands of dollars each and every year.

I run Bicycle Txxxxxx Pxx on a shoestring budget, which is why any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

$10
I'll Give You A Big Digital Hug
$25
Access to My VIP Email Newsletter
$50
Handwritten Postcard + VIP Email Newsletter
$100
T-Shirt + Postcard + VIP Email Newsletter
$250
Private Video Chat + All Gifts Above
$1,500
Join Me on a Bike Tour + All Gifts Above
Last edited by nsew on 28 Nov 2020, 11:07am, edited 2 times in total.
robing

Post by robing »

^ god that is creepy. Who does he think he is? He's hardly a celebrity!
raybo

Post by raybo »

Note that the above comments refer to the youtube link, not the (free) on-line bike touring game, which goes to a different site altogether and was created by a different person.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
pwa

Post by pwa »

If I saw that board game for sale for a fiver I wouldn't buy it because I would find it tedious to play and nobody in my household would want to play it either.
nsew

Post by nsew »

For $75 the worlds foremost expert on riding a bike with five red bags attached, stealth camping in an orange tent and uploading YT videos talking non stop about nothing, will call you.

“register now for a private, 1-on-1 coaching call with me, Dxxxxx xxxx, the Bicycle XXXXXXX Pro

After you register, we’ll arrange a time to speak on the phone (or via Skype or Facebook messenger)… and you can ask me anything you want about bicycle touring, world travel, fundraising, how to get sport sponsorships, stealth camping, personal issues, or anything else you want to ask.”

Apparently suffered a breakdown on a flight back from Ukraine and has emerged after several months with a $50 bike touring game that looks like endless fun for the family.
Attachments
D1AED192-7B07-4ED8-ADCF-917550FBB026.jpeg
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Its Monopoly for cyclists?
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Pete... I think
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

mercalia wrote:Its Monopoly for cyclists?

As a cyclist and long-time board gamer, I'd say it looks much more like Ticket To Ride for cyclists. The destination card mechanism is certainly lifted straight from heavily inspired by TTR.

Actually I was quite relieved to find it's not another idiot who's only ever played Monopoly and Risk but still think they can design a board game. He's obviously played modern German/US-style games and picked up a few ideas from them. So long as he's taken it to a games club and got them to playtest it to death, it'll probably be OK. The game mechanisms are pretty standard stuff and I expect they soon begin to make sense when you start playing. Perhaps his parents weren't the ideal demo subjects, but well, lockdown or something. The quality of the parts looks decent too.

The bigger problem is, well, the theme. I mean I love cycle touring but I can't see it gripping anyone who isn't a cycle tourist, which limits its market. Keen boardgamers have seen it all before. Even cycle racing games (like the excellent Flamme Rouge) struggle to make big sales, and they can at least rely on the multiple markets of hardcore board gamers, bike racing fans, and general sports fans who watch a bit of the Tour de France now and again.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

AndyK wrote:
mercalia wrote:Its Monopoly for cyclists?

As a cyclist and long-time board gamer, I'd say it looks much more like Ticket To Ride for cyclists. The destination card mechanism is certainly lifted straight from heavily inspired by TTR.

Actually I was quite relieved to find it's not another idiot who's only ever played Monopoly and Risk but still think they can design a board game. He's obviously played modern German/US-style games and picked up a few ideas from them. So long as he's taken it to a games club and got them to playtest it to death, it'll probably be OK. The game mechanisms are pretty standard stuff and I expect they soon begin to make sense when you start playing. Perhaps his parents weren't the ideal demo subjects, but well, lockdown or something. The quality of the parts looks decent too.

The bigger problem is, well, the theme. I mean I love cycle touring but I can't see it gripping anyone who isn't a cycle tourist, which limits its market. Keen boardgamers have seen it all before. Even cycle racing games (like the excellent Flamme Rouge) struggle to make big sales, and they can at least rely on the multiple markets of hardcore board gamers, bike racing fans, and general sports fans who watch a bit of the Tour de France now and again.

Just checked on BoardGameGeek.com and it scores an average 6.2/10 from player ratings, which isn't a ringing endorsement. Hmm. That average includes two 10/10 scores, one from a user coincidentally called theopenroad and another from a user who hasn't submitted a score for any game other than this one.
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

robing wrote:Who does he think he is?

A guy who's figured out how to get other folks to pay for his bike touring.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I started watching the video about promoting the game and almost thought about unsubscribing to the channel as slightly annoying. It's a delicate balance promoting your channel and trying to financially benefit from it without annoying viewers. I use a adblocker on youtube too on my PC and the android tablet which is attached to my exercise bike has adblocking version of the youtube apk this is actually a necessity as the old android tablet only has 512MB of memory and simply won't work with all the extra adverts and memory that the normal youtube apk needs. I watch most youtube videos on that tablet. However on my smart tv I would often let youtube operate without watching them just to have some sound in the house while doing other stuff so some advert income would be generated there when I'm not actually properly watching the videos, however that is mostly music videos on youtube.

He has done a lot of interesting videos on youtube although personally that complicated pinion gearbox touring bike doesn't look ideal to me, I feel like a bike based on more standard components which are easily replaced out on a tour seems a better option. I feel there are better touring youtubers with regards touring advice.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

No board games allowed Boris said so.... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
nsew

Post by nsew »

“He has done lot of interesting videos on You Tube”.

https://youtu.be/kSxwjY0qYjQ

As a means of dealing with your depression Darren recommends being around other people. If you want to be around Darren’s depression and anxiety the cost is $1500 for 3-6 days and $3000 for 7-12 days. That’s per person.

In Summary, This is How it Works:

If you donate $1,500 USD, you will be invited to join me on one of my upcoming VIP bike tours for 3-6 days. If you donate $3,000 USD or more, you will be invited to join me on one of my upcoming VIP bike tours lasting 7-12 days in length.
Your donation will not be used to cover any of the costs on the tour. You will be required to bring your own bicycle, camping equipment and clothing… and you will need to pay for your own food, entertainment, lodging and insurance while you are on the tour.
A $1,500+ USD donation is only good for one individual. If two people wish to join me on the road, then a $3,000 donation is required. If 3 people want to join one of my private VIP bike tours, a $4,500 donation must be made,