Loading top of rear rack

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nsew

Re: Loading top of rear rack

Post by nsew »

Sweep wrote:
nsew wrote:That type of pack is wrong on so many levels it’s hard to know where to begin.

I didn't encounter any problems, I could get at what I needed easily (panniers left untouched until the night's camp) and the bike handled just fine.
I have used front panniers in the past and have a decent tubus front rack but on balance probably preferred this, ungainly as it may look.
At least it shows that the lashings were rock solid :)
But each to their own, am always willing to listen to and maybe take on board other views if politely expressed in the interests of helping fellow cyclists.
So feel free to begin.
I did ask a question of one of your pithy interjections upthread but you never replied.

A bike carrying so much cobbled together in such a way, is obviously horrible to ride.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nsew wrote:
Sweep wrote:
nsew wrote:That type of pack is wrong on so many levels it’s hard to know where to begin.

I didn't encounter any problems, I could get at what I needed easily (panniers left untouched until the night's camp) and the bike handled just fine.
I have used front panniers in the past and have a decent tubus front rack but on balance probably preferred this, ungainly as it may look.
At least it shows that the lashings were rock solid :)
But each to their own, am always willing to listen to and maybe take on board other views if politely expressed in the interests of helping fellow cyclists.
So feel free to begin.
I did ask a question of one of your pithy interjections upthread but you never replied.

A bike carrying so much cobbled together in such a way, is obviously horrible to ride.

A rather incredible thing to say, since I am not aware that you were strapped on the back sampling the ride.
I can assure you that though undoubtedly somewhat ungainly looking (I won't shock you with what was and wasn't in those bags) it rode just fine.
As I said I have used front panniers to balance the load but this particular jaunt was train assisted and I personally find them a bit of a problem if getting on and off trains.

The only recent time I actually remember being on a bike where the front threatened to lift from the road was on a very steep climb out of Dent in the Dales and that was on a day ride.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Oldjohnw wrote:Sweep's arrangement works fine for me. I wanted to fix a front track but my old hybrid has suspension forks. As it is, it has worked fine. I have only lost traction a couple of times on a steep upwards hill with loose gravel.

Yep - most of the stuff on the top is volume rather than weight (though I won't pretend that the whole shebang isn't pretty heavy) - sleeping bag, sleeping stuff, tarp etc. the heaviest single back is probably a slim 13 litre Ortlieb bag which contains basic tools, food and snacks for the ride and my coffee making stuff. I can usually take this bag off without even unhooking the straps. The blue bag you can see only has a very light cheapo silver insulating mat I got from china in it. And two tarp poles.
Ride on.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have my full camping gear on the back. In addition, I have my battery, partly compensated by a front hub motor (although I suspect it was this latter which as much as anything contributed to the couple of minor incidences of front wheelspin).
John
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Sweep wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Sweep's arrangement works fine for me. I wanted to fix a front track but my old hybrid has suspension forks. As it is, it has worked fine. I have only lost traction a couple of times on a steep upwards hill with loose gravel.

Yep - most of the stuff on the top is volume rather than weight (though I won't pretend that the whole shebang isn't pretty heavy) - sleeping bag, sleeping stuff, tarp etc. the heaviest single back is probably a slim 13 litre Ortlieb bag which contains basic tools, food and snacks for the ride and my coffee making stuff. I can usually take this bag off without even unhooking the straps. The blue bag you can see only has a very light cheapo silver insulating mat I got from china in it. And two tarp poles.
Ride on.

Yes same for me John/Sweep.. heavy stuff low..light stuff high.

This thread is an example of a very common cycling issue - people judging how a bike handles by appearance alone.

My old Cannondale loaded up as shown horrifies your standard issue "four Ortleib' touring bod. However the setup is superbly stable and relaxing. It can be ridden hands off in this configuration and I just kick back and enjoy the ride while touring.

This pic is 2019. Lets hope for some great touring in 2021 :-)
Attachments
1993 Cannondale M700 - with some add-ons :-)
1993 Cannondale M700 - with some add-ons :-)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

IMG_20200719_105103274_HDR.jpg

My happily balanced super comfortable elderly outfit.
John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

joule.jpg
Another to horrify the loading police.
(aforementioned red ortlieb bag on top with food/coffee making junk)

Against the resting place of the bloke the joule was named after.

The joule of course being a unit for measuring bike and rider strain.
Sweep
nsew

Post by nsew »

I get it. Slogging away from campsite to campsite, an hour to set up and two hours to pack. Rinse and repeat for a few days, train home.
Attachments
34F341DE-3265-46A4-AE37-AE4D6346525B.jpeg
djb

Post by djb »

zenitb wrote:Yes same for me John/Sweep.. heavy stuff low..light stuff high.

This thread is an example of a very common cycling issue - people judging how a bike handles by appearance alone.

My old Cannondale loaded up as shown horrifies your standard issue "four Ortleib' touring bod. However the setup is superbly stable and relaxing. It can be ridden hands off in this configuration and I just kick back and enjoy the ride while touring.

This pic is 2019. Lets hope for some great touring in 2021 :-)

While I’m firmly in the camp of a preference for a more balanced load for better handling overall and easier strain on ones rear wheel, my similarly aged alum late 90s mtb with similarly beefy frame tubing is always surprisingly competent with a heavy rear load—- to a certain point of course.

Ps and I certainly share your hope for 2021, although unfortunately I suspect for us Canadians, overseas trips will still be unlikely.
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

Sweep wrote:joule.jpgAnother to horrify the loading police.

Those panniers don't look happy. They remind of those sad donkeys often overlaiden in developing countries. Head down and asking what they'd done wrong.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyclewala wrote:
Sweep wrote:joule.jpgAnother to horrify the loading police.

Those panniers don't look happy. They remind of those sad donkeys often overlaiden in developing countries. Head down and asking what they'd done wrong.

Perfectly happy Ortlieb Bikepacker pluses. Not overladen - they have "lids" so can't be overladen at all if the lid straps down properly - they only have a combined volume of 40 litres.
Straps need knotting on the left one (and I think they were before I rode off) - god knows why Ortlieb fit so much unusable strapping.
Sweep
doodah

Post by doodah »

5 .jpeg

My preferred set up for a tour.

Tent, poles, footprint, folding table and Helinox knock off chair in the rack pack with spares and tool pouch, ergo no wet gear fouling up contents in the panniers. Still allows room and easy access to put in food bought en route.

Also have taken inserts out of the hooks and fitted 10mm x 14mm plastic tubing to the racks. This eliminates a lot of shaking on the hooks, prevents abrasion to the racks and makes for a more secure and quieter ride. I also use the Tubus bungees as belt and braces; essential when going down tracks like the Canal du Midi for instance or any rough track. I have found these to be brilliant as there is no scratching to the frame and remove a lot of stress from the bumping that the hooks would take otherwise. The 3 straps that are attached to each hook make sure there is always some point to easily air one's washing:-)

Doodah
ossie

Post by ossie »

doodah wrote:5 .jpeg

Tent, poles, footprint, folding table and Helinox knock off chair in the rack pack with spares and tool pouch, ergo no wet gear fouling up contents in the panniers. Still allows room and easy access to put in food bought en route.

Also have taken inserts out of the hooks and fitted 10mm x 14mm plastic tubing to the racks. This eliminates a lot of shaking on the hooks, prevents abrasion to the racks and makes for a more secure and quieter ride. I also use the Tubus bungees as belt and braces; essential when going down tracks like the Canal du Midi for instance or any rough track. I have found these to be brilliant as there is no scratching to the frame and remove a lot of stress from the bumping that the hooks would take otherwise. The 3 straps that are attached to each hook make sure there is always some point to easily air one's washing:-)

Doodah

Very tidy set up.
doodah

Post by doodah »

ossie wrote:
doodah wrote:

Very tidy set up.

Why, thank you kindly sir.

Doodah
PH

Post by PH »

doodah wrote:5 .jpeg
Doodah

Yes, very clean looking.
What we haven't really touched on in this thread is how much it depends on the bike and those Raven's do ride well with a bit of the front. Though when I've used four panniers I haven't needed to put anything on the top of the rack. Here's mine, well no longer mine...
loaded raven.jpg