New Decathlon adventure bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
zenitb

Re: New Decathlon adventure bike

Post by zenitb »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
markjohnobrien wrote:It’s not just an online vendor: I’ve been in the enormous Giltbrook store hundreds of times, the medium Oxford store loads, and the smaller Staples Corner store on numerous occasions - they are great for cycle clothing, football, swimming, walking, etc, and loads of other sports.

In this age of the dominance of online (which they are very good at as well), their stores are a godsend as you can try cycling clothes on before you buy and they have extra discount rails in every shop.

Just back from their Aberdeen store ( level 2 today- going up to level 3 on Friday ) and they don't allow trying on cycling jackets. I bought one anyway.
And gloves. My first time in their store. Impressed with range and prices

Yes...gloves and cycle shoes are classic things you want to try on and they have a reasonably priced quality range of both.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Their megastores in France and Germany are insane. You can pop in and get a new inner tube, a scuba kit and a crossbow.

My friend in Germany has an amazing cargo-ish bike from them, but I've never seen it in the UK.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

st599_uk wrote:Their megastores in France and Germany are insane. You can pop in and get a new inner tube, a scuba kit and a crossbow.

That's a heck of a party! :D
Outlaw13

Post by Outlaw13 »

Anybody know what happened to this bike. It was on my list to look at maybe buying this year but after months of being out of stock it now seems to have disappeared from the website.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Outlaw13 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 3:20pm Anybody know what happened to this bike. It was on my list to look at maybe buying this year but after months of being out of stock it now seems to have disappeared from the website.
I know, I checked the website the other day and the three models - 900/920/etc, weren’t there.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

45D8798F-77FD-46A0-9BED-978298416CEE.png
In relation to 900 bike (on Instagram).
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

One of the bikes is back on the site - the 520 - :

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/touring-b ... /R-p-31272
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

Don't know about the UK, but here in France, Decathlon just like most bike stores are out of stock. BIG time.
The government has put in place a bike scheme with subsidies which, combined to ultra steep demand curve, has worsened matters even more (stupid government to subsidize an industry already hard-pressed to supply. It (the industry) gets the money, not the client, since prices have gone up. Opportunistic purchases is probably half the demand so I'm sure the stress on the supply side would still be there without the subsidy.
It's a supply chain nightmare as the industry works on annual pre-orders and the surge in demand is global. It will take time to come to normal since big players have really no incentive to take risks and invest to cope with that much higher demand in the next year but fear overcapacity in the medium turn when things calm down. In the mean time, they are happy to trade lesser revenues for increased profits.
I would not be surprised Decathlon removes products from their catalog in certain markets rather than have a lasting "out of stock" message on their website an d empty alleys in their stores.
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Just memories". Jean Taboureau
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Angstrom wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 8:25am Don't know about the UK, but here in France, Decathlon just like most bike stores are out of stock. BIG time.
The government has put in place a bike scheme with subsidies which, combined to ultra steep demand curve, has worsened matters even more (stupid government to subsidize an industry already hard-pressed to supply. It (the industry) gets the money, not the client, since prices have gone up. Opportunistic purchases is probably half the demand so I'm sure the stress on the supply side would still be there without the subsidy.
It's a supply chain nightmare as the industry works on annual pre-orders and the surge in demand is global. It will take time to come to normal since big players have really no incentive to take risks and invest to cope with that much higher demand in the next year but fear overcapacity in the medium turn when things calm down. In the mean time, they are happy to trade lesser revenues for increased profits.
I would not be surprised Decathlon removes products from their catalog in certain markets rather than have a lasting "out of stock" message on their website an d empty alleys in their stores.
True, I wouldn’t be surprised if Decathlon did that as well.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

markjohnobrien wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 4:24pm One of the bikes is back on the site - the 520 - :

Computer already saying no.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Bonefishblues wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:32am
markjohnobrien wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 4:24pm One of the bikes is back on the site - the 520 - :

God, that was a quick change as it was up and running yesterday.
slowster

Post by slowster »

markjohnobrien wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:04am

Last digit missing from that link.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/touring-b ... R-p-312723
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

slowster wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:28am
markjohnobrien wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:04am

Last digit missing from that link.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/touring-b ... R-p-312723
:lol:

There's clearly loads of bikes and all the online guys are sitting there wondering why they aren't flying off the shelves!
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

https://www.decathlon.fr/p/velo-de-voya ... _TURQUOISE
Looks like Brexit is hitting the pocket book
In Europe, 699 Euro
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

It’s a nasty price increase in Britain.