New Decathlon adventure bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MarcusT

New Decathlon adventure bike

Post by MarcusT »

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/touring-b ... R-p-306383

Seems like a very well equipped bike. I'm not into gravel bikes, but it looks like they put some serious R&D into this one.
For the price, it offers some real advantages over the global brands.
I just don't care for the 1 X 11 drive train.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Greystoke

Re: New Decathlon adventure bike

Post by Greystoke »

Not long ago prefered bikes for world travel had 36 spoke 26" wheels, steel frames, 3x something gearing etc.
How things have changed, much bigger wheels, less spokes, 1x drivetrain etc.
It's a nice bike, not cheap tho!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Interesting debate to be had around that concept of World Travel and how the kit's changed/changing.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

So which is it?
Lifetime warranty on the carbon frame and alu fork. Rated for loads of 170 kg

We have designed this triple-butted aluminium frame for maximum durability.Lifetime guarantee: frame, carbon fork, stem, handlebar. Parts: 2 years.

They need to proof read their specification sheets!
Which ever it is it's a lot of bike for not much money!
PH

Post by PH »

Greystoke wrote:Not long ago prefered bikes for world travel had 36 spoke 26" wheels, steel frames, 3x something gearing etc.

Although the blurb says "tour the World" do you really think Decathlon are aiming it at that market? Or that those seriously considering touring the World are going to be considering it? I doubt much has changed at all.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote:
Greystoke wrote:Not long ago prefered bikes for world travel had 36 spoke 26" wheels, steel frames, 3x something gearing etc.

Although the blurb says "tour the World" do you really think Decathlon are aiming it at that market? Or that those seriously considering touring the World are going to be considering it? I doubt much has changed at all.

No doubt a nice bike but I wouldn't set out to go round the world on it for all sorts of reasons.
Sweep
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

It seems to have a dynohub usb stem cap for charging, but no lights?

Would love to see one in the flesh. Thinking of getting a long term purchase bike late next year.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

You can carry some serious loads with this bike. 170kg gross.

how? no racks or low riders? on yer back?

also no mudguards. too expensive for what it is
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

mercalia wrote:You can carry some serious loads with this bike. 170kg gross.
how? no racks or low riders? on yer back?
also no mudguards. too expensive for what it is

33 mounts on the frame and fork to attach all your accessories and pannier racks. 3 mounts on the fork for your cargo cage. Compatible with all pannier racks.

Looking at it there's allen bolts practically everywhere so surely racks and guards will fit?Would you really expect them to come with the bike at sub £1500?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sweep wrote:
PH wrote:

No doubt a nice bike but I wouldn't set out to go round the world on it for all sorts of reasons.

Not many or any FTM will,it's sales blurb.

The bike looks good,but without a geo spec sheet and with the Sram drivetrain it's a week end warrior machine aimed at Decathlon's target audience.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Sweep wrote:
PH wrote:Although the blurb says "tour the World" do you really think Decathlon are aiming it at that market? Or that those seriously considering touring the World are going to be considering it? I doubt much has changed at all.

Not many or any FTM will,it's sales blurb.

The bike looks good,but without a geo spec sheet and with the Sram drivetrain it's a week end warrior machine aimed at Decathlon's target audience.

There's a geo sheet second picture down on the site.

In other news, what's with the fashion(?) for dropped seat stays?
Si

Post by Si »

. In other news, what's with the fashion(?) for dropped seat stays

Marketing I guess.... I'm sure it must make the frame weaker if the TT and seat stays don't meet and thus transfer force directly to each other. With the dropped stays it looks like they are applying a bending force to the seat tube, thus requiring more beefing up.

Some might say that a smaller rear triangle makes it stiffer......but do you really want a stiffer frame on a 'touring' bike? Surely comfort is more important than uber-micro gains in acceleration?

And 1x for loaded touring?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

"More than 500,000 km of testing under its belt on all continents and in all weather conditions."

Is that believable, all in 4 years? Do the maths.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Si wrote:
. In other news, what's with the fashion(?) for dropped seat stays

Marketing I guess.... I'm sure it must make the frame weaker if the TT and seat stays don't meet and thus transfer force directly to each other. With the dropped stays it looks like they are applying a bending force to the seat tube, thus requiring more beefing up.

Some might say that a smaller rear triangle makes it stiffer......but do you really want a stiffer frame on a 'touring' bike? Surely comfort is more important than uber-micro gains in acceleration?

And 1x for loaded touring?

(I know the square root of nothing about anything I'm about to say) I did wonder if it might actually give the rear triangle a modicum of compliancy in the vertical plane?
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

My son seems to spend quite a lot of time sorting out the hydraulic brakes on his MTBs, with bleed kits, syringes, etc. Not sure I would want that on a touring bike?