New Decathlon adventure bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Angstrom

Re: New Decathlon adventure bike

Post by Angstrom »

markjohnobrien wrote:Yes, I would, as I rather like the look of the 900 which has XT triple and racks front and rear with frame, racks, and handlebars, having a lifetime warranty. I also like the XT dynohub.

The only element I don’t like is the TRP spyke which I’m not sure about.

Price - 1299 euros when released next year.

Still, as I have superb touring bikes already I don’t need to buy one but if I was in a market for a new machine, I really would be tempted by the 900.

+1
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Just memories". Jean Taboureau
pwa

Post by pwa »

Astrobike wrote:Would the local comuniies not be worse off with no decathlon stores and no jobs ?
the employees do not have to buy in store

Around here there is no Decathlon store. Apart from when in France, I've never been in one. To me it is just an online vendor like Wiggle.

(The closest is 145miles away and it would take 2.5hrs each way. So it might as well be on Mars.)

The bike in question is one that will appeal to people who grew up with ally MTBs, and less so to people who think a tourer looks like a Surly or a Thorn.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

It’s not just an online vendor: I’ve been in the enormous Giltbrook store hundreds of times, the medium Oxford store loads, and the smaller Staples Corner store on numerous occasions - they are great for cycle clothing, football, swimming, walking, etc, and loads of other sports.

In this age of the dominance of online (which they are very good at as well), their stores are a godsend as you can try cycling clothes on before you buy and they have extra discount rails in every shop.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

markjohnobrien wrote:It’s not just an online vendor: I’ve been in the enormous Giltbrook store hundreds of times, the medium Oxford store loads, and the smaller Staples Corner store on numerous occasions - they are great for cycle clothing, football, swimming, walking, etc, and loads of other sports.

In this age of the dominance of online (which they are very good at as well), their stores are a godsend as you can try cycling clothes on before you buy and they have extra discount rails in every shop.

Plus it lets you look at other options - I really like their tennis polo shirts for cycle touring, light, breathable, have a collar to help with the sunburn, better suit my non-cyclists figure and suitable for some sites which are particular about their dress codes.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

st599_uk wrote:

Plus it lets you look at other options - I really like their tennis polo shirts for cycle touring, light, breathable, have a collar to help with the sunburn, better suit my non-cyclists figure and suitable for some sites which are particular about their dress codes.

What sites? Camping sites with dress codes?
I agree about the welcome opportunity to check out other bits. I often wander into the hiking, sailing, even hunting bits looking for stuff I can use for cycling and camping.
Sweep
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Sweep wrote:
st599_uk wrote:

What sites? Camping sites with dress codes?

I was more thinking of the Hagia Sofia or the new Coptic Church in Cairo when I went to them.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

You’ve mentioned the greatest church in Christendom in what was one of the greatest cities the world has ever seen - Constantinople. The dome is a masterpiece of later Roman engineering and, when completed, Justinian said “Solomon, I have surpassed thee”.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
nsew

Post by nsew »

FWIW I’m resolved to never enter a dumb shop / bike thread again.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

This is my new adventure bike ...my Christmas pressie from my family ....
It dos'nt get better than this ... Super Gravel Bike ..

s-l1600.jpg
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pwa

Post by pwa »

markjohnobrien wrote:It’s not just an online vendor: I’ve been in the enormous Giltbrook store hundreds of times, the medium Oxford store loads, and the smaller Staples Corner store on numerous occasions - they are great for cycle clothing, football, swimming, walking, etc, and loads of other sports.

Only if you have one nearby. For me it might as well be an online store because that is the only practical way I could do business with them. 145 miles each way would be bonkers. I appreciate that for you it is different.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

It’s a shame a store is not closer to you as they really are excellent.
pwa

Post by pwa »

markjohnobrien wrote:It’s a shame a store is not closer to you as they really are excellent.

So I gather! I'm feeling a bit left out. Maybe they have plans to move down the M4 corridor to Bristol and Cardiff. But for the time being they are, for me, just one more online retailer.

Going off topic, haven't Evans become quite rubbish since the takeover.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I agree- Evans has got worse: it’s certainly no Decathlon!
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

markjohnobrien wrote:It’s a shame a store is not closer to you as they really are excellent.

I've been in a few Decathlon stores, the one at Southampton, Poole and a few other places. I always go into bike shops and have a look around. I wasn't super impressed with their component prices I'm spoilt by internet prices and the bikes back then were a non-starter as I'm over 100kg and their bikes at the time are rated to a total load of no more than 100kg only leaving about 80kg or less for the rider. So these new adventure bikes are the first I could actually consider at Decathlon.

One bike I used to really hate was the Triban 100 as its just junk parts and they were charging £250 for it but realise now it has bee upgraded to a freehub/cassette but back then it was just using a low end freewheel and seemed massively over-priced. Some of their bikes have btwin branded components were are just low end parts most of the time like a very basic Suntour fork, sub XCT in spec.

I'm definitely of the opinion that many Halfords and Go Outdoors bikes are better options at the same price points. Certainly Decathlon have nothing to match the Calibre Bossnut in fact the Decathlon options around that price point are pretty hopeless. I think Decathlon score best for road bikes.

I remember reading in a shopping forum on a thread about Halford's Carrera bikes that were on sale and many of the posters stated Halford's bikes are rubbish and put off potential buyers from getting the Carrera bike that was on sale for about £200 and advised to get a Decathlon. Anyway I remember someone taking their advice and instead of getting the decent Carrera with a freehub drivetrain, good mechanical disc brakes and decent XCM forks they went with an absolutely trash Decathlon mountain bike with V brakes, freewheel and twist shifters and very low end forks. The last comments on the thread were of that person's problems with the Decathlon bike. In contrast the people who got the Carrera bike at the bargain price were mostly exceptionally pleased.

As ever ignore the shop mostly, get the best bike you can based on its components not the perceived quality of the retailer. Buy by spec not by retailer.

Another case in point was last year Argos was selling a Claris based road bike with carbon fibre forks for £150 or there abouts because of Black Friday, it was a half price deal. Fantastic value but again people came into the thread stating support your local bike shop or buy from Decathlon etc which was madness for such a low price point. If I went into my local bike shop with £150 I'd probably get a well used Apollo road bike that someone had traded it for their new bike.

Like any shop Decathlon are a mixture of good and bad quality and good and bad value. Same with Halfords one week you go in and a bike is £400 next week it might be £250 and there may be a working voucher that takes a further 10% off. The next week it may be go outdoors that is doing a big price promotion.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Just back from their Aberdeen store ( level 2 today- going up to level 3 on Friday ) and they don't allow trying on cycling jackets. I bought one anyway.
And gloves. My first time in their store. Impressed with range and prices
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.