Food with maximum energy for minimum weight

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Food with maximum energy for minimum weight

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Peanut butter and nutella slightly over and under respectively 600 kcals, was going to be my next addition to endurance food spread on rice cakes :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Barks wrote:Rather than whole nuts I now use smooth nut butters spread on oat biscuits - I think they have somewhere around 600 kcals per 100 grams which i think is about as high as you can get without eating pure fat which come in at around 900 kcals per 100gms.

That is high... but there are some nuts at 650 to 720 kCal per 100g. (700 kCal per 100g is about 29 kJ/g.)

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
623........you know you want to :lol:
I have considered beforehand :P
Attachments
2021-01-20_163231.jpg
nick12

Post by nick12 »

That is what teeth are for nirakaro. But if your like me and only have a few teeth it makes sense to grind them to get the most benefit without having to chew for ages. It really adds to the flavour as well.
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

'Food with maximum energy for minimum weight'

Lembas bread, if and when you can get it. Otherwise, cram.
nsew

Post by nsew »

nick12 wrote:That is what teeth are for nirakaro. But if your like me and only have a few teeth it makes sense to grind them to get the most benefit without having to chew for ages. It really adds to the flavour as well.

Lol. Nuts and fruits are fantastic grub for travelling. I like to eat healthy and often while touring supplemented with a magnesium / potassium / sodium drink. Going for a ride? A couple of Co-op flapjacks will get you there and back pretty fast.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Sid Aluminium wrote:'Food with maximum energy for minimum weight'

Lembas bread, if and when you can get it. Otherwise, cram.

Which episode of the Great British Bake Off, had Lembas bread as the technical challenge ?

In the States we use seal blubber and pemmican, seal blubber can also be used for tent illumination.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pemmican is interesting, especially in its history, but its calorific value is a bit lower than that figure given above for nut butter on biscuits.

Jonathan
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Not seen it me mentioned but I make my own trail mix with salted cashew, dried fruit and choc buttons if not too warm. I put in my Barbag so can munch on the go and it works for me which I guess is what really matters.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
The only time you need food with max calories for min weight is when compactness is preferred and you cannot buy easily en route, normally when you are traveling fast with no time to stop / or you are self supporting for long periods of time...........solo north pole etc :)

Otherwise a good balanced diet is preferred, sandwiches etc.
Eating a balanced diet on the bike without stopping means that you may well substitute a balanced diet for something more compact and easier to swallow, just try eating sandwiches / cakes whilst puffing on the bike :(
Flapjack is easy to get down and has a good combination of food stuffs.
Nothing wrong with sandwiches but I find its easier to stop and eat them.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
roberts8 wrote:Not seen it me mentioned but I make my own trail mix with salted cashew, dried fruit and choc buttons if not too warm. I put in my Barbag so can munch on the go and it works for me which I guess is what really matters.

I normally include mixed nuts, raisins and jelly beans in little bags, then shovel them in and chew for a while keeping excess in my cheek.
Those caramel waffles lidl used to sell are high energy and in quarters fit easy into mouth...............its advisable I find to let them melt a bit in mouth until soft then chew, cod they are hard work.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

I always understood artic explorers ate a lot of suet. This is an interesting article on high calorie food for such activities and seems to partially confirm my understanding:

https://encounteredu.com/cpd/subject-up ... lorers-eat
Rmr25

Post by Rmr25 »

roberts8 wrote:Not seen it me mentioned but I make my own trail mix with salted cashew, dried fruit and choc buttons if not too warm. I put in my Barbag so can munch on the go and it works for me which I guess is what really matters.

Same here, cashews, chopped walnuts, dried fruit & dark choc chips, even at home every day.
Barks

Post by Barks »

Jdsk wrote:
Barks wrote:Rather than whole nuts I now use smooth nut butters spread on oat biscuits - I think they have somewhere around 600 kcals per 100 grams which i think is about as high as you can get without eating pure fat which come in at around 900 kcals per 100gms.

That is high... but there are some nuts at 650 to 720 kCal per 100g. (700 kCal per 100g is about 29 kJ/g.)

Jonathan

Back to the original point of my post - if you eat whole nuts a largish (I admit I have not investigated this accurately) proportion passes straight through such that you can’t get the full calorific value. As nut butters are processed the calories are more readily digested.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Peanut butter and nutella slightly over and under respectively 600 kcals, was going to be my next addition to endurance food spread on rice cakes :)

Next time you are in Ethiopia, check out the local p/butter. Quite excellent. Not sure about cal. value but hit the spot and cheap as chips.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.