Too cold/icy/snowy for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
reohn2

Too cold/icy/snowy for touring?

Post by reohn2 »

This chap doesn't think so:- https://youtu.be/8CGzSCK9ZWA

Someone who's been touring the length of the Americas,but due to the virus is now back home in Canada,check out his many other videos,they're a real eye opener :shock: .
A true adventurer without a doubt!
Last edited by reohn2 on 9 Jan 2021, 12:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Re: Too cold and icy/snowy?

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote:This chap doesn't think so:- https://youtu.be/8CGzSCK9ZWA

Someone who's been touring the length of the Americas,but due to the virus is now back home in Canada,check out his many other videos,they're a real eye opener :shock: .
A true adventurer without a doubt!

He's such a positive person, I remember his first video in similarly snowy conditions and a lorry slowing and asking him where he was going, 'Argentina' was his reply, Fair play to him.
Good to see he's still doing well.The shot at the end with the cricket, great.Thanks for posting r2
From the start.....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqiYX6 ... qhH_kvHeOw
Last edited by colin54 on 9 Jan 2021, 12:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Nothing seems to phase him,a teacher of the positive that's for sure! :)

EDIT; just a mention of Mandolin Orange,I've been listening to their music for sometime,two brilliant musicians :)
W H Auden
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I have watched many of Iohan Gueorguiev's videos with tremendous interest and envy. He seems a really nice young man as well.
Nothing as you say seems to phase him.
At the moment I will not be out on any one of my 3 bikes if there is the slightest nano hint of ice. Call me a wimp but to end up in A&E at the moment with a fractured wrist at the least isn't for me. I have in my youth with my late brother cycled in thick snow back here in the 60s which we thoroughly enjoyed and falling off was no big issue into soft snow but icy roads with traffic belting past is a big 'No No'.

Roll on the spring.
Thehairs1970

Re: Too cold/icy/snowy for touring?

Post by Thehairs1970 »

And the videos are beautifully shot too!

I look forward to his new work but it is a bit hit and miss when his next one will arrive.
djb

Post by djb »

I've been following his trips for years, and as you say, he has always come across as a nice fellow.
But yup, a serious hard ass. Big time.
And a damn good filmmaker, editor and storyteller.
One of the strongest bike adventurer film makers out there in my opinion, and has never come off in a bragging, "too much" sort of way.
I just admire his approach and way with people. But man he's a tough cookie.

I commute regularly on bike down to -10, -15c, but can't imagine traveling in winter conditions like he does.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thehairs1970 wrote:And the videos are beautifully shot too!

Agreed!
Some of his wildlife shooting from his adventures are exceptional considering he's not bristling with pro kit

I look forward to his new work but it is a bit hit and miss when his next one will arrive.

He promises to have some longer video shortly,the last three or four vids are just tasters of the full length films he's been working on.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

djb wrote:I've been following his trips for years, and as you say, he has always come across as a nice fellow.
But yup, a serious hard ass. Big time.
And a damn good filmmaker, editor and storyteller.
One of the strongest bike adventurer film makers out there in my opinion, and has never come off in a bragging, "too much" sort of way.
I just admire his approach and way with people. But man he's a tough cookie....

Spot on!
If anyone's seen his crossing of the Darian Gap in his packraft :shock: they wouldn't disagree,not to mention the Dalton Highway in winter :shock: :shock:
W H Auden
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting the link.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sign me up in 2030!

When the youngest is off to uni!!!

Cheers James
djb

Post by djb »

he has produced quite a number of very entertaining videos, so be prepared for a lot of time viewing them. Often worth watching on a reasonable sized screen.

The later South American stuff using a drone have some truly stunning shots of amazing isolated landscapes that he has gone through. As an old guy, I'm really impressed (aghast sometimes) at the places he has gone with no or little contact with people/supplies for many many days. But good on him, very entertaining adventures.
He was riding through Central America around the time I was going through there, but I stuck mostly to regular roads and a certain amount of small backroads, whereas he was doing his backroad thing and having a different sort of adventure. As I've spent a reasonable time in Latin America over the decades, its a lot of fun seeing and hearing the sounds and sights of everyday life in his videos, especially enjoying his contact with locals in far off places, which I have always really enjoyed myself on my travels in the region.
djb

Post by djb »

just wanted to add, that for what it's worth, watching his videos sort of in chronological order would add to your appreciation of his approach and the whole journey.
Might be a bit too much to take in, there are a lot of them.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

djb wrote:just wanted to add, that for what it's worth, watching his videos sort of in chronological order would add to your appreciation of his approach and the whole journey.
Might be a bit too much to take in, there are a lot of them.

I never tire of watching his(admittedly long)videos,very entertaining indeed and yes best watched in chronological order.
It's also very interesting how his kit and way of carrying it changes as the years go on.
He's now completely sold on fat bikes for the type of cycling he's doing,which is mainly off/no road in some very challenging terrain.
One heckova character that's sure.
W H Auden
brumster

Post by brumster »

Helens take on Siberia is another great read for winter touring. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book. Website link below:

http://helenstakeon.com/portfolio/winte ... g-siberia/
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

And on this subject, a tip of the hat to Gleb Travin (Siberia, 1929-1931).

'Siberia? That's nice. Hold my beer while I cycle to the South Pole.' Maria Leijerstam, 2013