Voile Straps

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bmblbzzz

Re: Voile Straps

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Okay, the Restrap ones used to be a bit cheaper than the Voile. Either they've put their prices up or Voile have come down!
mjr

Post by mjr »

nsew wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 3:37pmTubus bungee cords are the most versatile I’ve found, each one utilises 3 individual straps allowing for multiple configurations and they’re serviceable.
How do you service them? My equivalent from another brand went slack eventually.

I use cheap cam buckle straps now. Much better than bungees for most things.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
climo

Post by climo »

Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Bungees certainly have their uses but on the whole I reckon they're not the best luggage retention on a bike. I think the potential "eye popping" danger of bungees is not so much if they break but when they slip and become unhooked, but a greater likelihood is that their stretch allows items to slip to one side. Bungees can't be adjusted other than by altering the fastening point, whereas the other various types of strap mentioned in the last page or two can, so it's easier to get those sorts of straps tight. Bungees don't enough friction in their hooks, basically.
nsew

Post by nsew »

mjr wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:16am
nsew wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 3:37pmTubus bungee cords are the most versatile I’ve found, each one utilises 3 individual straps allowing for multiple configurations and they’re serviceable.
How do you service them? My equivalent from another brand went slack eventually.

I use cheap cam buckle straps now. Much better than bungees for most things.
I’ve just measured a couple and they haven’t stretched after ~20 months of hard touring use (60cm). I put this down to quality of materials, a hook designed specifically for Tubus racks and the distribution of pull over three separate cords. Serviceable in the sense that two screws secure the straps at either end so they can be shortened or replaced. I don’t think Tubus make any rubbish.

https://www.tubus.com/en/products/acces ... ure-straps
nsew

Post by nsew »

Individually each cord has easier stretch than the three together, so attaching and removing additional items like the baguette pictured or an item of clothing / map etc is effortless.
Last edited by nsew on 11 Jun 2021, 11:24am, edited 1 time in total.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

I use Voile straps for holding my saddlebags in place. They're easily strong enough and do the job perfectly well: