Voile Straps

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pedalsheep

Voile Straps

Post by pedalsheep »

https://voilestraps.co.uk
Is anyone using these? They look great but are seriously expensive, interested to hear if anyone has any experience of them.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
rotavator

Re: Voile Straps

Post by rotavator »

By coincidence I used one today to wrap around a cable before I put it away. Did the job nicely but goodness knows where it came from, I certainly didn't buy it.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Years ago I used to marshal for Bristol's Biggest Bicycle Ride, and ended up one year with a handful of super-tough, slightly elastic, rubber luggage straps that had been used for signage. I still have two of them today, seemingly indistructable and which were for years were an essential part of my cycle-touring kit. Not Voile, tho' :roll:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
hamster

Post by hamster »

Voile Straps seem to be the default choice in bikepacking circles.
northerncyclist

Post by northerncyclist »

I use ROK straps for the top of my rear rack. They are excellent but just doing a price check they have nearly doubled in price in just three years. I can recommend them though..............I am trying to think of a use for the Voile straps which I have never seen before and to be honest I cannot think of anything. What would you use them for on a bicycle tour ?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Not specifically on tour, but one use is to thread through the lid loops of Barley or other saddlebag and hold a jacket there. Or a spare tyre, as some do. Restrap Fast Straps are very similar (but not orange), made in that there Yorkshire, and a little cheaper. Or at least they used to be a bit cheaper... https://restrap.com/collections/straps
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Reusable cable ties do the same job much cheaper, I stock up when Aldi have them in.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Toe straps make good cargo straps.
The bike shops sell their antique stock cheap,unless they're Pataraud.
Soma & Surly even made extra long ones, just for cargo.

The rubbery Voiles are good on nalgene bottles and sil nylon bags.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I was looking for leather toe straps for a project and knew they'd be expensive but they were far more than I was prepared to pay as were nylon to straps so I bought from China and bought 5 pairs much cheaper than from Ebay etc.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

They seem to be exact replicas of the straps skiers use to tie skis together for transport, which are available cheaper from ski resort shops.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
nsew

Post by nsew »

Voile Straps / good quality ski straps, typically max out at 25 inches. Great for low volume packs but not for what some here like to haul around. They have the advantage of staying in place and remaining in a circular shape on a rack when not in use, making re-packing straightforward. They’re obviously more versatile in their use and attachment points but if all you want to do is lash a dry bag to a rack then two good quality bungee straps are the preferred method. Tubus bungee cords are the most versatile I’ve found, each one utilises 3 individual straps allowing for multiple configurations and they’re serviceable.
Attachments
C096AF4C-0102-4C77-A978-CE4FA9D88A38.jpeg
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

st599_uk wrote:They seem to be exact replicas of the straps skiers use to tie skis together for transport, which are available cheaper from ski resort shops.

IIRC Voile actually state this on their website.

Bungees: Personally I don't like them much. They need to be stretched quite tight to hold luggage securely, which in turn makes them difficult to hook on. And if they slip... ouch! I do like the cargo nets though.
hamish

Post by hamish »

I use them for off road touring to keep bottles in place on forks and to attach stuff to the rack. They are good for stuff like that.
SomeBen

Post by SomeBen »

hamish wrote:I use them for off road touring to keep bottles in place on forks and to attach stuff to the rack. They are good for stuff like that.

I have a question maybe slightly off topic but looking to possibly use these for attaching stuff to my roadie fork. Only problem is the aero-y profile. I've looked at p-clips but reviews suggest not doing this with carbon forks. Also considered plastic zip-tie rubber things but max load is only useful for carrying light-ish items. Thinking maybe water bottles? Does anyone have any experience using either with carbon forks and is it safe to put a 4kg load either side on such a fork, and where should the measurements be taken on the fork for getting the right size?