Touring overseas 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
djb

Re: Touring overseas 2021

Post by djb »

Indeed. Agree on all points.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The mutation that is now ravaging the UK has also begun to raise its head in Europe. Therefore, I would not expect to see quick relaxations of current restrictions, and, to be homest, I expect more stringent measures. Of course, vaccination has begun, but in e.g. the Netherlands it will take until late April at the earliest before everyone over 60 will have been vaccinated. I do not expect to see the first relaxations before that. Even then, the virus will still be circulating a lot, and you may still get infected. Personally I am trying to get used to the idea that France may be off until the late summer at the earliest, but Germany may be feasible somewhat before. Of course, for travellers from the UK a lot will depend on the situation in the UK itself. As long as infections remain rampant, no EU country will allow travellers from the UK.
As for tours beyond Europe, I think we have to realize that the currently most common vaccine, from Pfizer, is very hard to distribute without a very modern infrastructure. By the autumn, the more important concern will probably be that the rich countries have been quite succesful buying up vaccines for themselves, so the poorer countries will not have vaccinated many by then, I fear, but the situation may well be variable from one country to the next.
Last edited by willem jongman on 16 Jan 2021, 3:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Its the time of year that I'm usually planning for this years tour but there are simply too many variables at the moment. Hopefully mainland Europe might be on the cards late Aug / Sept...fingers crossed.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Along with many others here, my plans for a tour (of Vietnam last March/April) in 2020 had to be binned. If you'd told me that a whole year later the chances of that tour happening would be diminishing still further I wouldn't have believed you!
nsew

Post by nsew »

Don’t read if you’re squeamish. In Manaus, Brazil (pop 2m) it was estimated 70% of the city’s population were infected in the first wave (equivalent to 70% vaccination) and 6 months later a new variant is raging and the military are flying in huge oxygen tanks. Recommended travel literature will be more Cormac McCarthy than Alistair Humphreys.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

northerncyclist wrote:I am thinking about an overseas tour in the winter of 2021 but am totally unsure what I will do. I know where I want to go and the prices of flights are great with good airlines and free exchange....But I am hesitating to book as I am unsure about the effects of the virus on the trip. First and foremost rules and regulations regarding masks, covid tests etc and then more importantly I am very unsure about safety in countries I have previously deemed safe. I am sure there will be many very desperate people due the virus.

So what about you ? Have you any plans for trips overseas in 2021 ? Do you share my apprehension about the dangers of collapsed economies or are you just looking to take advantage of cheap flights and free exchange ?

Nothing wrong with initial planning like where, how far and such. In fact it keeps me amused for much of the winter. I have not thought about increased risks due to bad economies. I keep up with the news and there does not seem to be a significant increase in crime, but most countries are locked down.
Like others have said don't commit yet, There is much wait-and-see out there
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I know I've got a few work trips to sort out a major sporting event. Will probably take the bike, get the ferry to Hoek and then ride there.

As for travel for Leisure, hopefully late summer.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

nsew wrote:Don’t read if you’re squeamish. In Manaus, Brazil (pop 2m) it was estimated 70% of the city’s population were infected in the first wave (equivalent to 70% vaccination) and 6 months later a new variant is raging and the military are flying in huge oxygen tanks. Recommended travel literature will be more Cormac McCarthy than Alistair Humphreys.

On the radio this morning they are saying the new Brazilian variant includes a mutation they think will make it not as affected by immunity (either natural or vaccination). That said, it was qualified by "is thought" so early days in establishing the impact of the mutation they were talking about.

Ian
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

st599_uk wrote:I know I've got a few work trips to sort out a major sporting event. Will probably take the bike, get the ferry to Hoek and then ride there.

I would not count on being let into the Netherlands. Quite a few travellers have already been turned back, and I think the rules are bound to become even more restrictive,particularly for travellers from outside the EU and also Britain, given the prominence of the new mutant virus strain. Also, campsites are closed, and I expect hotels to be closed sooner rather than later as well. Restaurants have already been closed.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

willem jongman wrote:
st599_uk wrote:I know I've got a few work trips to sort out a major sporting event. Will probably take the bike, get the ferry to Hoek and then ride there.

I would not count on being let into the Netherlands. Quite a few travellers have already been turned back, and I think the rules are bound to become even more restrictive,particularly for travellers from outside the EU and also Britain, given the prominence of the new mutant virus strain. Also, campsites are closed, and I expect hotels to be closed sooner rather than later as well. Restaurants have already been closed.
The Netherlands and the EU are closed for non-essential travel. They're not fully closed.

That's why I said I don't know when we'll be able to travel for leisure purposes.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
nsew

Post by nsew »

Psamathe wrote:
nsew wrote:Don’t read if you’re squeamish. In Manaus, Brazil (pop 2m) it was estimated 70% of the city’s population were infected in the first wave (equivalent to 70% vaccination) and 6 months later a new variant is raging and the military are flying in huge oxygen tanks. Recommended travel literature will be more Cormac McCarthy than Alistair Humphreys.

On the radio this morning they are saying the new Brazilian variant includes a mutation they think will make it not as affected by immunity (either natural or vaccination). That said, it was qualified by "is thought" so early days in establishing the impact of the mutation they were talking about.

Ian

I understand the scientists can adapt a vaccine within 30 days if needed once they have the genetic code of a variant. I’m sure they’re working on that as we type. I’m also reasonably sure I contracted the virus a second time a couple of months ago after an 8 month break. This time it was a mild 24 hour thing with the same symptoms playing out as opposed to the hellish first infection. That and I’ve also had to quarantine twice with NHS Track & Trace. It’s the new normal.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

nsew wrote:I understand the scientists can adapt a vaccine within 30 days if needed once they have the genetic code of a variant.

That might just be possible. But it's going to take longer to produce an authorised product for nonexperimental clinical use.

Jonathan
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

One thing for sure, as soon as it is deemed possible (by any countries concerned) to travel in Europe again there will be a mad rush. Ferry and air tickets (and accomodation) will be like gold dust. Such a pent-up demand, at least from those who don't have financial worries and haven't been spending money during lockdowns.
Chris F, Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

nsew wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

I understand the scientists can adapt a vaccine within 30 days if needed once they have the genetic code of a variant. I’m sure they’re working on that as we type. I’m also reasonably sure I contracted the virus a second time a couple of months ago after an 8 month break. This time it was a mild 24 hour thing with the same symptoms playing out as opposed to the hellish first infection. That and I’ve also had to quarantine twice with NHS Track & Trace. It’s the new normal.

My "worry" is that it's longer than just adapting the vaccine. e.g. AstraZenica: Once adapted (30 days), to produce the vaccine takes 2 months (and that cannot be speeded-up, QA, then shipping, batch testing, distribution within in UK, book appointments, get people and in total somewhat over4 months before the 1st person gets an adapted vaccine in their arm.

(My understanding on timescales, do correct me if I'm wrong)

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ChrisF wrote:One thing for sure, as soon as it is deemed possible (by any countries concerned) to travel in Europe again there will be a mad rush. Ferry and air tickets (and accomodation) will be like gold dust. Such a pent-up demand, at least from those who don't have financial worries and haven't been spending money during lockdowns.

Whenever I've been touring France, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, I meet relatively few other cyclists. Another aspect I have no idea about is how "the majority" (non-cyclists) book their summer holidays. If they tend to chose dates well in advance maybe this year they'll book UK places so they've got something and will have more confidence about it actually happening (and without sudden new policy of "quarantine on return from overseas"). I tend to decide to head off one day and depart the next but I've no idea how many do their annual summer holiday on the spur of the moment.

Ian