Foam sleeping mats

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: Foam sleeping mats

Post by Psamathe »

ossie wrote:Thermorest NeoAir X lite. Comfort / weight per £....pretty damned good.

Mine has lasted a couple of 2 month tours (camp sites). 1st tour I took the Thermalite chair "frame" for it but it (the frame) started to come unstitched and one camp site has sharp woody things sticking up and I decided it was not working properly as a chair and a bit risky outdoors so purchased a Helinox en-route (far better chair).

Ian
nsew

Post by nsew »

I believe de-lamination can occur when exposed to high temperatures inside sealed bags that are then exposed to direct sun. This can be avoided by not completely sealing a dry bag, roll top pannier etc in warmer climes and never leaving in direct sunlight. I always shade a bag carrying a mat when stationary.
Last edited by nsew on 21 Jan 2021, 1:19am, edited 1 time in total.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Another de-lamination inducing mistake that campers make is zipping up a tent for security (not much) and heading off for a few hours / the day. It’s very difficult for a tent to be positioned to not receive sunlight over the course of several hours unless pitched under substantial tree cover. Even when deflated and a mat should always be deflated, de-lamination will start to occur once the sun gets around to hitting the tent. Of course the sun / heat also damages tent fabric, seam sealant etc.
nsew

Post by nsew »

A compass is very handy when pitching a tent to (a) estimate the time the sun may hit in the morning providing for a good nights sleep / lay-in (b) predicting the course of the sun over the day to protect tent / kit (c) pitching in anticipation of a predicted storm or winds (d) positioning the tent for morning shade that will conceal your sometimes open pitch - this is remarkably effective (e) positioning the tent to purposefully receive sunlight in the morning, beneficial in a cold environment where condensation will be a factor - get it right and you’re waking up in a warm tent and packing a dry tent.
nsew

Post by nsew »

(e) This is where a free-standing tent is ideal (one of several) as it can be un-pegged and flipped around to receive the sun on the opposite side while packing / taking breakfast. Or simply moved to where the sun is. I don’t mind wiping off condensation (also easier with a free-standing) but having the sun do it for you is a convenient luxury.

Nb. A cloth (long enough to grab with two hands to do your back) and condensation will provide for a morning wash without having to use precious water supply. Or leave the cloth outside to collect rain. If there’s no condensation or rain then a relatively small amount of water tipped into the cloth will suffice. A tiny amount of soap can also be used where needed.
Last edited by nsew on 19 Jan 2021, 5:27am, edited 1 time in total.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

If you go inflatable, look for the valve system. I have a Big Agnes insulated and is comfortable and warm, but the valve is too small and takes too long to inflate and just as long to deflate.
The newer valves are much more efficient.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
PH

Post by PH »

nsew wrote:I believe de-lamination occurs when exposed to high temperatures often inside sealed bags that are then exposed to direct sun. This can be avoided by not completely sealing a dry bag, roll top pannier etc in warmer climes and never leaving in direct sunlight. I always shade a bag carrying a mat when stationary.

I'm not sure this is correct, where did it come from? I used to work with the same manufacturing process, though heavier materials and in a different field, I'm not aware of the material or the weld being effected by heat. Pressure will be a factor, and leaving an inflated mat in the heat will increase that, as will overinflating in use.
If you look at anything else HF welded every seam under pressure ends in a T. This isn't possible on an internal baffle and once an end or edge of a seam lifts the rest can be peeled off like a sticking plaster. I've pulled apart lorry tarpaulins and onlookers have been shocked at how easily it's done once started, but of course this isn't a stress they'd normally be subjected to, trying to pull apart in any other direction and the seam is stronger than the material. It doesn't make mat failures inevitable, just more likely, if there's nothing to cause the end/edge of a seam to lift, the weld should last the lifetime of the material. The manufacturers must have known this from the start and have been re-designing to minimise it, shorter seams will help.
I have no idea how the button/cell designs are manufactured, I'd be interested to know. Sea to Summit say they've developed a liquid TPU bonding process, I have no idea what that is either! But they're offering a lifetime guarantee against delamination, which compared to what I've spent so far makes it look good value.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I use a three quarter OEX self inflating mat from GO. Excellent.
John
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

My Exped Synmat Ultralite is now almost 9 years old. It cost me £67 pounds but has provided approx 28 nights sleep every year I've had it and so I think that is pretty good value really. For the last 6 years I've also had the chair kit and that has provided me a comfortable way to sit inside and outside the test. Particularly welcome when the weather has forced me to hunker down for more time than I would have liked! All in all I've been very happy with it. Pretty much all of my usage has been in NW Scotland so high temperatures have not really been much of an issue!
nsew

Post by nsew »

PH wrote:
nsew wrote:I believe de-lamination occurs when exposed to high temperatures often inside sealed bags that are then exposed to direct sun. This can be avoided by not completely sealing a dry bag, roll top pannier etc in warmer climes and never leaving in direct sunlight. I always shade a bag carrying a mat when stationary.

I'm not sure this is correct, where did it come from? I used to work with the same manufacturing process, though heavier materials and in a different field, I'm not aware of the material or the weld being effected by heat. Pressure will be a factor, and leaving an inflated mat in the heat will increase that, as will overinflating in use.
If you look at anything else HF welded every seam under pressure ends in a T. This isn't possible on an internal baffle and once an end or edge of a seam lifts the rest can be peeled off like a sticking plaster. I've pulled apart lorry tarpaulins and onlookers have been shocked at how easily it's done once started, but of course this isn't a stress they'd normally be subjected to, trying to pull apart in any other direction and the seam is stronger than the material. It doesn't make mat failures inevitable, just more likely, if there's nothing to cause the end/edge of a seam to lift, the weld should last the lifetime of the material. The manufacturers must have known this from the start and have been re-designing to minimise it, shorter seams will help.
I have no idea how the button/cell designs are manufactured, I'd be interested to know. Sea to Summit say they've developed a liquid TPU bonding process, I have no idea what that is either! But they're offering a lifetime guarantee against delamination, which compared to what I've spent so far makes it look good value.

I believe it’s a case of erring on the side of what appears to me to be common sense. We know from strong anecdotal evidence that mats de-laminate when left inflated (or part inflated) in a tent that warms. That’s clearly pressure build up coupled with heat. Another ‘condition’ I seek to avoid is using lung air due to moisture / mould (use pump sack). Another ‘condition’ i try to avoid is sitting on a mattress for any lengthy amount of time, placing all ones weight in a restricted area of the mat. I should of said i believe it to be be a contributing factor when exposed to certain conditions.
Barks

Post by Barks »

Thermarest neo air - different types depending on how cold you expect it to be. They are very durable, come with a puncture repair kit that works and pack much smaller than any foam or self inflatable mat. Much more comfortable than foam
djb

Post by djb »

Another neoair happy user. Used traditional thermorests , self inflating ones going back to early 90s, before that foam things in the 80s and 70s.

Each step more comfortable.

No leak issues with the neoair nor issues with the crinkle sound.

Bottom line- for me getting a good sleep has always been important, inflateable ones are more comfortable, I can sleep on my side and not have a sore shoulder.

But if you are the type of person who either sleeps well on anything and or are someone who isn't careful, and let's face it, some people are not. If you sit on your neoair on the ground with rocks, thorns, pointy little sticks, or kneel on it with your fork or something under your sleeping bag unseen, perhaps it's not for you.

I've used mine for at least 7,8 years with no problems whatsoever (touch wood! ) mine is the first generation so it goes back a while.

I also carefully check the ground and clear sharp stuff away before putting up tent, also use a groundsheet.

I always recommend going to a good outdoor store and physically laying down on various models, only real way to know.

And maybe you'll have to buy a foam one and see how it goes.
I personally found the expense worth it vs sleeping comfort.

I've camped my whole life, so bring those experiences in also, plus as said by others, I ain't 25 anymore so it's worth it to me, especially as camping is something we do, not just a one off trip.

Good luck trying out things if possible in real life.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

I've been using a 3/4 length Multimat for a few years now. I keep it in a 3lt drybag so not the smallest. Open the valve and lay it out in the tent to self inflate while sorting my gear out then a few lungfulls of air tops it up. Don't know the R rating but was fine for my camping trip over christmas.
I also like the radiator reflector aluminium/foam for extra insulation when proper cold or on its own in the summer. Weighs next to nowt and packs small. Spot on in the hammock too. Not tried the neo air can't justify spending so much money. The Multimat is comfy enough for me .
nsew

Post by nsew »

DELAMINATE!! I haven’t de-laminated yet. In warm climes as the morning unfolds, the air in the mattress expands. If you’ve slept on a ‘firm’ mattress in the night then as the temps rise your mattress is over-inflating as you sleep. Something similar (and then some) goes for the days when you’re resting up / lounging around in the tent, nod-off while it’s cool and wake while it’s hot. Stranger things have happened. So air expansion, heat trapped in storage bags, weight/pressure in a concentrated area of the mat, mould & combinations thereof, are I suspect the major cause(s) of de-lamination. The process only needs to begin.
djb

Post by djb »

Yes, one cannot leave the old style thermorests in the sun or hot tent, nor the new lighter compact styles like the neoair. They will expand up like a sausage, not good.

On rest days w we open the valves, and generally look for a spot in shade anyway.

Just something one must be aware of and remember, that simple.
Again, if this is not your priority, use solid foam mats.
The size and weight factor of neoair type models are appealing, but there are tons of options out there for us now from numerous companies at varying prices.

I realize that"camping" for you guys on the UK is often car and caravan camping for a lot of people, with your inclement climate being a big factor, but here summer hot and hardly any rain camping means more people camp, and so our market has tons of campmat options, of all price ranges and comfort and construction types.