Crazyguyonabike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
francovendee

Re: Crazyguyonabike

Post by francovendee »

nsew wrote:He’s already pulled in over half a million dollars in donations and his political views are abhorrent. So I’ll pass. Has anyone found an interesting journey review on that site? “I woke up in this field with a picnic table (photo inserted), in an unremarkable town (photo inserted), had breakfast (photo inserted) packed my six panniers full of stuff (photo inserted) and spent the day riding through unremarkable scenery (photo inserted) to another field with a picnic table (photo inserted).” Repeat 7X or 14X

I think you're right, tons of boring stuff only interesting to the traveller but now and then you get a gem.
I look at journals, read a couple of pages and move on if it shows endless boring photos of meals etc and not much else.
Some travellers write fascinating journals and are great reading.
I followed one chap who cycled around the world and I checked in every few days to read his latest submission. I felt I was on the journey with him but from the comfort of my armchair. :)
nsew

Post by nsew »

francovendee wrote:
nsew wrote:He’s already pulled in over half a million dollars in donations and his political views are abhorrent. So I’ll pass. Has anyone found an interesting journey review on that site? “I woke up in this field with a picnic table (photo inserted), in an unremarkable town (photo inserted), had breakfast (photo inserted) packed my six panniers full of stuff (photo inserted) and spent the day riding through unremarkable scenery (photo inserted) to another field with a picnic table (photo inserted).” Repeat 7X or 14X

I think you're right, tons of boring stuff only interesting to the traveller but now and then you get a gem.
I look at journals, read a couple of pages and move on if it shows endless boring photos of meals etc and not much else.
I followed one chap who cycled around the world and I checked in every few days to read his latest submission. I felt I was on the journey with him but from the comfort of my armchair. :)

Yes there are some great journeys amongst the dross. This one’s a real timepiece (1977) https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 4872&v=75R a small town kid seemingly obsessed with how much everything costs.

“I had 87 flat tires (one every 5.67 days of biking) and 58 broken spokes (or one every 8.5 days). I went through 8 chains, getting about 6,000 km per chain; and 6 freewheels for about 8,000 km each. I replaced my tires 16 times, with durability ranging from under 500 km for made-in-India tires to over 10,000 km on a Schwinn tire Dad paid $33 to send to me in Kathmandu. On Day 766 I paid $5.25 for two tires and two tubes that were made-in-Taiwan and lasted all the way home: over 8,000 km.”
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Lucky that you have enough free time to browse Crazyguy for such informative gems.
Bice

Post by Bice »

What's the source of abhorrent political views?

I have only just looked at this website. He seems a contrarian, libertarian, Linux user, open source enthusiast. I like his uncompromising, crap GUI website. You don't have to be a Proud Boy to be a bit concerned about big tech, Twitter censorship (Covid 'scepticism'?) etc. But is there worse?
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I don’t know the site or the guy who runs it or his political views. However...

When we purchase goods from somewhere, we may have strong view on whether that company uses sweatshop labour, sustainable materials etc. My feeling is that I should apply that in other areas too. I wouldn’t want to contribute to a company that I know has a bigoted point of view on anything - race, gender, sexuality or that knowingly disregards environmental issues. I don’t think you should disregard this just because the product or service is good.

Pennies for those thoughts can be sent to my PayPal account.
ossie

Post by ossie »

zenitb wrote:Maybe its living in the UK but I've always found this forum more helpful than the "crazy guy on a bike" stuff. I am not a world tourer/super expert though. What do people find useful/refer to on his site? I am genuinely keen to hear....

This is more of 'a forum' I find. I don't go on CGOAB to ask or answer questions, I do however get the odd communication over some of the routes I've done and logged on there in the past (Nothing exotic, all European).

I simply look at Journals, often in areas I intend to travel through to try and get the lay of the land . Some of the journals are extremely Inspirational, some not so. So Inspiration mainly I guess, treat it as an open book, take on board what you find useful and bin what you don't. I'm not sure there are any rules. I have absolutely no idea about the site owners political views or otherwise and don't really care. If you do care and take issue with people donating to the site (as some obviously do) then don't click on it...simple.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

There are 15,000 journals on CGOAB so wherever you may be thinking of going someone has probably been there already.
Borders may open and close and governments change but the roads usually remain the same.

The forums there are dead apart from Neil's long rambling posts and the odd word of support from his supporters.

For information on camping gear, panniers etc look in this forum or the "commercial" forums such as Cyclechat and the huge American Bike Forums.

Forums at Cycle Blaze are very quiet and most of the members there are well funded retirees and do the credit card thing.

Mike
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think using such sites depends on the reasons people are posting stuff. For me it's as much about a personal diary as providing information for others. Use any 3rd party site (CrazyGuyOnABike, Facebook, etc.) and your time and effort spent writing and presenting becomes subject to the web site policies and changes over time. e.g. CrazyGuyOnABike decidesa more interesting opportunity has presented and the site shuts down and all your work disappears.

Thus for me, I find having my own web site cheap, easy and it's under my control in that I decide if and what I want to do and if I want to change I'm not constrained by what others might decide.

Ian
nsew

Post by nsew »

Bice wrote:

I have only just looked at this website. He seems a contrarian, libertarian, Linux user, open source enthusiast. I like his uncompromising, crap GUI website. You don't have to be a Proud Boy to be a bit concerned about big tech, Twitter censorship (Covid 'scepticism'?) etc. But is there worse?

I was responding to Outdated, who suggested we should help mini Trump with a donation. I read that the Proud Boys eschew [inappropriate word removed] so he wouldn’t be accepted. No one’s questioning his IT skills. “Libertarian” like these fellow pro Trump, ‘election was stolen’, Parler users?
Attachments
A3B3E95C-1EEB-496D-A6A3-15BAA7766C86.png
8F5443D8-AC8A-4088-8FC0-A19592B08D18.png
hondated

Post by hondated »

nsew wrote:
francovendee wrote:

Yes there are some great journeys amongst the dross. This one’s a real timepiece (1977) https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 4872&v=75R a small town kid seemingly obsessed with how much everything costs.

“I had 87 flat tires (one every 5.67 days of biking) and 58 broken spokes (or one every 8.5 days). I went through 8 chains, getting about 6,000 km per chain; and 6 freewheels for about 8,000 km each. I replaced my tires 16 times, with durability ranging from under 500 km for made-in-India tires to over 10,000 km on a Schwinn tire Dad paid $33 to send to me in Kathmandu. On Day 766 I paid $5.25 for two tires and two tubes that were made-in-Taiwan and lasted all the way home: over 8,000 km.”

:lol:
hondated

Post by hondated »

:D
simonhill wrote:Lucky that you have enough free time to browse Crazyguy for such informative gems.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Mike_Ayling wrote:There are 15,000 journals on CGOAB so wherever you may be thinking of going someone has probably been there already.
Borders may open and close and governments change but the roads usually remain the same.

The forums there are dead apart from Neil's long rambling posts and the odd word of support from his supporters.

For information on camping gear, panniers etc look in this forum or the "commercial" forums such as Cyclechat and the huge American Bike Forums.

Forums at Cycle Blaze are very quiet and most of the members there are well funded retirees and do the credit card thing.

Mike

Could not have worded it better Mike. :D
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

djb wrote:for those interested in reading about why the owner of crazyguy has his views on Google:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/b ... ted=0&v=2X

Looking at this and other postings he's made I think the guy has views that I don't share.
Having said that, the journals posted don't reflect him but are a place for people to share their journey and not about him.

I never knew of the site owners' views until now. Will it stop me looking at CGOAB? No I don't think so, it's a good site to go to on wet winter days.
Bice

Post by Bice »

francovendee wrote:I never knew of the site owners' views until now. Will it stop me looking at CGOAB? No I don't think so, it's a good site to go to on wet winter days.

It is a leap to assume someone disliking tech monopolies and (the megalomanic) Amazon etc taking decisions to censor stuff they don't like, to deeming someone is one of those imbeciles apparently trying to ferment another civil war in the US.

He does not approve of Parler being dropped. Not sure I do either, but it could be prosecuted and closed down for incitement etc.

The tech companies have changed tune from being 'portals' - we are not responsible for content - to 'publishers', where they are responsible and therefore can be held to account (and will very likely become much smaller as a result).

This fellow seems to be a libertarian open source software enthusiast - very sensible, in my view (and the opinion of millions of impeccably liberal techies around the world) - and has had the nowse to set up a small website that makes a bit of money.

Is there evidence of worse? Or is he being smeared?

Meanwhile, I am delighted his site - and this one - are not on Facebook, Strava etc etc
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
nsew

Post by nsew »

Bice wrote:

#24: Re: Cycling nomad community... wanna be a gypsy? (thread)
By Neil Gunton (neil) (admin) on Sun 1 Sep 2019 12:54 Edit in reply to #23     Reply (1)   Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report Rating: (0)
"I don't support any violent group but that especially goes for white nationalist and anti-government groups such as the Proud Boys, Three Percenters, Patriot Prayer, Oath Keepers, etc. They are all the enemies of free speech and freedom in general"

I have watched interviews with members of the Proud Boys. They seemed like very reasonable people to me, expressing reasonable concerns about what is happening in this country when it comes to freedom of speech, especially with regard to the violence being perpetuated by Antifa. The Proud Boys and others are a response to that violence.
If you can point me to anywhere where someone representing The Proud Boys is saying anything that makes them "enemies of free speech and freedom in general", then I'd very much appreciate it. Everything I've seen about them points rather to the opposite. They are objecting to the increasingly fascist behavior of groups like the ironically-named Antifa.

#32: Re: Cycling nomad community... wanna be a gypsy? (thread)
By Neil Gunton (neil) (admin) on Sun 1 Sep 2019 20:16 Edit in reply to #30     Reply   Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report Rating: (0)
Ok, I'll help you out - here's Tim Pool talking to some Proud Boys. If you actually listen to what they say, they are not what they have been made out to be. "Far right", "Nazi", "white supremacist", listen to the video and tell me if these guys fit that mold. It's a guy's club with tongue in cheek hazing rituals and they go out and confront assholes like Antifa because they see Antifa as being marxists and anti-free-speech. I dunno, to me these just sound like regular guys who are fed up with the bullshit and being told that they are responsible for everything bad that happens in society. Hence the name, I guess. There are other similar videos, and in all of the ones I've seen, the Proud Boys members seem very reasonable and common sense. They aren't racist, they just aren't taking any [inappropriate word removed] from the Antifa crowd, which I can respect.

36: Re: Cycling nomad community... wanna be a gypsy? (thread)
By Neil Gunton (neil) (admin) on Mon 2 Sep 2019 13:49 Edit in reply to #35     Reply (1)   Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report Rating: Disagree (3)
"Neil, are you aware that the Proud Boys have extensive ties to white-supremacist groups? Do you really think their objective is simply to promote free speech, and not to normalize white supremacy?"

Prove it. I've posted lots of evidence that they are not racists or white supremacists, but rather just ordinary guys who are tired of being blamed for everything, and being made to feel guilty just for being men (hence their name). The interview with the Proud Boys actually stated clearly that they are not in favor of white supremacy or nazi doctrine. So, show me evidence to the contrary. From their own mouths, not filtered through some biased third party.
Attachments
42D359F4-81FE-4938-A53B-29BC7DD3326C.jpeg
80F17829-1875-4FC8-957A-8E85DFEDD2BE.png
874C4C75-02F0-4FEE-AE61-0361AB85C9E5.jpeg