Cycling to Glasgow in October

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Re: Cycling to Glasgow in October

Post by Vorpal »

Tigerbiten wrote:One other thing to think about.
The max downside I've found with wild camping all the time is trying to keep all my devices charged up.
At a campsite I tended to leave my cache battery in the office/toilet overnight.
When wild camping I only had my hub dynamo/solar panel to keep my devices charged up.
The other option is to stop somewhere for an hour or two, this will hopefully let you plug into a wall socket.
With the three of you, how do you plan to keep all your devices charged up.

Luck .......... :D

I usually carry a couple of power banks, and charge those, as well as devices, during stops where charging is possible.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
nsew

Post by nsew »

I remember almost crossing paths with the tyre lady in the Jura Mountains in 2019, I was sailing south on a 40mph tail wind and she was hammering on into it. At the age of seven I cycled 40 miles from West Wickham to North Finchley and back through central London. Though that was without my grandma.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

@nsew that was a really crazy time. I had to pedal to go downhill..... so frustrating

@tigerbiten will have a power bank that allowed me to charge 6 times when it worked!!! Grannie won't be using her phone unless she has to...... as for kid.... just working it out at the mo. But might take this as a luxury holiday as will be visiting some of Grannie's friends, Covid willing :)
Low carbon, zero waste running journey
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Are you planning to introduce the young one to the joys of dragging a tyre along behind you? She could start with a little bicycle tyre perhaps.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Just watch out for the school holidays in Scotland, they are all over the place, some councils have one week, some have two (in more rural areas for historic reasons, tatty picking), most are in the first two full weeks in October, but Edinburgh is later, usually the third.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Elizabeth_S wrote:Just watch out for the school holidays in Scotland, they are all over the place, some councils have one week, some have two (in more rural areas for historic reasons, tatty picking), most are in the first two full weeks in October, but Edinburgh is later, usually the third.

D'ya think it will be busy on the streets?
irc

Post by irc »

Tyre Lady wrote:
Elizabeth_S wrote:Just watch out for the school holidays in Scotland, they are all over the place, some councils have one week, some have two (in more rural areas for historic reasons, tatty picking), most are in the first two full weeks in October, but Edinburgh is later, usually the third.

D'ya think it will be busy on the streets?

Glasgow school holidays are 11th-15th October this year. Not an issue for cycling. Less traffic if anything as there are no parents doing school runs twice a day.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Not a problem in Glasgow, but if you are transiting through areas at certain times it's good to know when the holidays are as things can get busy, well they do around our way.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Elizabeth_S wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 9:16am Not a problem in Glasgow, but if you are transiting through areas at certain times it's good to know when the holidays are as things can get busy, well they do around our way.
Thank you for letting me know :)
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Website sorted now: https://pedalfabf.wordpress.com/
And all social media!!!! instagram; facebook page; tik tok

- all to raise awareness of actions we can take to reduce our impact on our natural environment
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tyre Lady wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 10:34pm Hi All - am thinking to cycle with a grannie and her grand daughter (13) - 600 miles to Glasgow.
They did make it there through some extreme weather at times. I did see one pic of an extremely wet wild camp in a dank looking wood.
The 13yo Elsie Burrows is interviewed here https://anchor.fm/jonathan-levy19/episo ... 26-e19jrkh
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Why didn't they just rent a private airliner like Boris? Isn't Boris a cyclist, for the past 48 hours an environmentally friendly one? Suppose his two days as am environmental PM is now over (Nb. At the very least, couldn't he have hired an entire train, rather than flying?)
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Paulatic wrote: 2 Nov 2021, 10:08am
Tyre Lady wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 10:34pm Hi All - am thinking to cycle with a grannie and her grand daughter (13) - 600 miles to Glasgow.
They did make it there through some extreme weather at times. I did see one pic of an extremely wet wild camp in a dank looking wood.
The 13yo Elsie Burrows is interviewed here https://anchor.fm/jonathan-levy19/episo ... 26-e19jrkh
Yes decided to wild camp on the English side of the border. It rained in the night and both Tess (Granny) and myself had puddles around the outside bottom of our bivy bags. And I had the hole over me. Elsie was between us and was dry :) The last 3 days of travel to Glasgow was extremely wet but after the weather was amazing
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

gbnz wrote: 2 Nov 2021, 7:24pm Why didn't they just rent a private airliner like Boris? Isn't Boris a cyclist, for the past 48 hours an environmentally friendly one? Suppose his two days as am environmental PM is now over (Nb. At the very least, couldn't he have hired an entire train, rather than flying?)
The US and UK leaders berated China and Russia for not turning up physically. They remoted in. In fact every world leader could have remoted in. The deal between the US and China has been going on for 8 months. You can hear the "it would be nice if we could announce a deal between the US and China at COP..." and voila.

Anyhow think there is a small green light of hope that things are turning despite the disappointment that not everything was covered and there is ambiguity in the agreements. Wouldn't be surprised if the 1.5 degs changes to 2.5 degs in future versions of COP and some countries that are lost (like Kiribati and other low lying island nations) + the extinction of species and other damage from the climate crisis will just be collateral damage unless the economics changes. If we really want to see deep systematic change, we need more ground up movements.