Brittany Ferries update

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ossie

Re: Brittany Ferries update

Post by ossie »

horizon wrote:
Andrew-l wrote:Generally it's the other way round. Foot passengers were mostly disallowed last year but cyclists were allowed and AFAIK that is the case now. I used both DFDS and Brittany in this way in the summer last year.

Brittany Ferries banned cyclists on June 8th (there was a thread on here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=137845&hilit=brittany&start=30 )

We’ve had to take the tough decision to not accept any further bookings from foot passengers and cyclists too, there are significant operational hurdles involved in transporting them. We can review this as the season unfolds and if it changes, we’ll let you know.

Then this was posted on 24th July and was due to be reviewed on 1/9

Boarding and disembarkation for foot passengers and for cyclists presents particular issues at this difficult time so we have therefore taken the decision that for this summer we cannot accept them.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/britt ... hats-story

When and where did you travel out of interest to use Brittany Ferries ?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Apologies. I wasn't 100% clear:

I travelled with DFDS in July. At that time they accepted bicycles but not foot passengers (presumably for the reason I gave above but I have never confirmed that). I don't know when or if that changed at various times during the summer, it was OK when I needed to go. I went with DFDS (from Newhaven) because, as you rightly point out, Brittany Ferries were refusing both foot and bicycles.

I then did a second trip in early September to France with Brittany. They had changed their rules by then (I don't know exactly when) to allow cyclists but AFAIR they still weren't allowing foot passengers.

The problem with both these ferry companies (I cannot speak about the others) is that even in a normal year there are funny rules about foot and cycle passengers. It also gets confusing at times as to what is a foot passenger (i.e. is a cyclist "foot"?).

I've just done a quick check and it seems that both foot and cyclists are OK for April. But the lesson appears to be that it is always worth checking for "bicycle" even when foot pasengers aren't allowed. The point I was making in my post above was that AFAIK you cannot ever get across as a foot passenger when cyclists aren't allowed but vice-versa is sometimes OK. So no bikes in bags - it is either just as impossible or not necessary. Other people may have/had other experiences though - that is just mine.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
borisface

Post by borisface »

Jdsk wrote:Where you can arrive

If you’re required to quarantine in a quarantine hotel you can only arrive in England at certain ports of entry. Currently these are:
Heathrow Airport
Gatwick Airport
London City Airport
Birmingham Airport
Farnborough Airport
Other ports of entry may be added in the future.

If you have a pre-existing booking to a different port of entry on or after the 15 February it’s your responsibility to change it to one of the ports of entry specified above. After 15 February carriers will not be permitted to carry anyone who has been in a red list country in the previous 10 days to any other port of entry other than those specified.

If you’re required to quarantine in a managed quarantine hotel and do not arrive in England at one of the designated ports of entry, you may face a penalty of up to £10,000 and will be charged for the cost of transportation to the nearest designated port or entry.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/booking-and-staying-in-a-quarantine-hotel-when-you-arrive-in-england#where-you-can-arrive

Jonathan

In other words, if you have been in Portugal you have to fly. Nice Green agenda Tories!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
st599_uk wrote:I think there's an additional risk. If you're traveling from a Red Zone country, you must enter the UK at a Quarantine Port of Entry. Unless they change the list of QPOE, then you'd have to book a flight back to the UK.

The nearest Red List country is currently Portugal, 900 miles from a cross-channel port. If you are coming by bicycle, it's probably going to take you longer than 10 days.

If somewhere nearer is added to the Red List, then they will have to massively expand the QPOE system anyway.

The way they seem to do things like this is to announce it then give people time to enter the UK before the rules come into effect (bringing back the bugs we are trying to avoid). This works if you are driving or flying but cycling might take you a bit longer.

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Not Brittany, but I read today via my Google newsfeed that a ferry company is "planning" to open a new route from Poole to Morocco. It will be roro, take 3 days, but didn't say if it would take passengers.

Would be good for Morocco or as a way to get to southern Spain.

It was online Daily Express, which I hate to admit, but the headline caught my eye.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"United Seaways":
http://unitedseaways.com/#home

New company. No details.

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jdsk wrote:"United Seaways":

New company. No details.

Jonathan

weren't they the ones who were going to restart Harwich - Esjberg?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

foxyrider wrote:

New company. No details.

Jonathan

Not a Chris Graying ferry company, I hope!
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

foxyrider wrote:

New company. No details.

Did that ever get beyond a campaign?

I really miss that route.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote:Not Brittany, but I read today via my Google newsfeed that a ferry company is "planning" to open a new route from Poole to Morocco. It will be roro, take 3 days, but didn't say if it would take passengers.

I don't expect this to happen. But if it does and they don't take passengers or cyclists there might be a niche for a twin cab van...

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 7 Mar 2021, 10:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I seriously miss the many Newcastle ferries. Now only Holland when it used to reach Denmark, Norway and Sweden.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

simonhill wrote:Not Brittany, but I read today via my Google newsfeed that a ferry company is "planning" to open a new route from Poole to Morocco. It will be roro, take 3 days, but didn't say if it would take passengers.

It was online Daily Express, which I hate to admit, but the headline caught my eye.

Possibly this is a great way to get produce, salad veg, and other veg to the UK avoiding the red tape ridden EU. We should be sourceing more stuff from Africa IMO. Trade is a great way to help poorer countries.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote:

Possibly this is a great way to get produce, salad veg, and other veg to the UK avoiding the red tape ridden EU. We should be sourceing more stuff from Africa IMO. Trade is a great way to help poorer countries.

Al

I think you might find that the red tape is equally on this side and it was an agreement: it is part of leaving the EU and was as expected. Not, it seems, that agreements count for much these days.
John
nsew

Post by nsew »

Enjoy your cabbage and potatoes.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

al_yrpal wrote:Possibly this is a great way to get produce, salad veg, and other veg to the UK avoiding the red tape ridden EU. We should be sourceing more stuff from Africa IMO. Trade is a great way to help poorer countries.

Al

I must admit that when I first read this in the D Express, I had to bite my lip and think that the very pro Brexit article had some merit. A ferry taking 3 days instead of 5 and saving all those road miles.

However on thinking about it I started to see the flaws. If only 1 ferry then some trucks will have to wait 6 days for the next one. If 2 ferries, then only a 3 day wait. What about the return, will it be another 6 or 3 day wait for the next ferry. Supermarket supply depots rely on just in time for fresh food - they don't want it all turning up on a single day. Bad weather is not unknown in the Bay of Biscay. Etc, etc.

Unfortunately, trucks leaving their home country when full keep the supply chains in sync. We might not like it, but one or two ferries isn't going to break the chain.