Camera mount

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thehairs1970

Camera mount

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I like to film my tours but I am struggling to find a mount that will fit on my handlebars and give an unobstructed view over my handlebar bag. They all seem to be too low profile. I have taken to using a selfie stick in a stash bag but would like to have a hands on the bars alternative too. Any suggestions?
F70100

Re: Camera mount

Post by F70100 »

Ram-mount have this.

You can buy components individually too if you needed, for example, a longer arm.

Does your camera have image stabilisation? There is often a lot of vibration when mounting cameras directly to a bike. You might consider a chest mount which means your body dampens out vibration. Chest mounts are quite a lot cheaper too, but if you're local to West Suffolk, you can borrow mine to try if you like. I also have a Ram mount (for a different application) which nevertheless would enable you to test the concept
mjr

Post by mjr »

How tall is your bag?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

F70100 wrote:Ram-mount have this.

You can buy components individually too if you needed, for example, a longer arm.

Does your camera have image stabilisation? There is often a lot of vibration when mounting cameras directly to a bike. You might consider a chest mount which means your body dampens out vibration. Chest mounts are quite a lot cheaper too, but if you're local to West Suffolk, you can borrow mine to try if you like. I also have a Ram mount (for a different application) which nevertheless would enable you to test the concept

would be amazed if that gave a steady image, that long arm will amplify any movement. I have found having them as tight as possible to the handlebars has given the best results. I made my own steel mount that supports the camera then cable tie the top of the camera to the bar.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

mjr wrote:How tall is your bag?

Just a Ortlieb Ultimate Six. But the camera, GoPro, has a wide angle lens that picks it up in shot all the time.

The Ram Mount looks interesting but a similar one I had wobbled a lot and gradually tipped over. The GoPro has good stabilisation btw. I have a chest mount but would like a bar mount too.

Thanks for replies so far.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Can you work out how much extra height you need?

If it's a cm or 2, could you add an anti-vibration plate?

A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pebble wrote:would be amazed if that gave a steady image, that long arm will amplify any movement. I have found having them as tight as possible to the handlebars has given the best results. I made my own steel mount that supports the camera then cable tie the top of the camera to the bar.

Doesn't that swing on the bar and vibrate somewhat?

Ball mounts are pretty good at damping shake, but anti-vibration plates are better, of course.

Thehairs1970 wrote:

Just a Ortlieb Ultimate Six.

Ok, if you don't want to say, I wish you luck!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

It’s not that I don’t want to say.I thought you were surprised that a bag would and that therefore I must have something unusual. I’d estimate that it sits 4cm above the bar. That combined with the fact it will sit 8cm or so in front of the camera creates the issue.
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Thehairs1970 wrote:

The Ram Mount looks interesting but a similar one I had wobbled a lot and gradually tipped over.

I would expect that for mounting on a handlebar, the component that's most likely to move would be the bit that attaches to the bar. How much torque are you brave enough to apply to the nuts on the U bolt... There's also a clamp mount with rubberised jaws which might be more effective.

I used to use a Ram-mount at work where they were deployed to mount an iPads in an aircraft. Once properly nipped up, I never had one slip, not in turbulence, on taxiways made out of extra ripple effect concrete, or indeed, as a result of a 'special' landing (it was the copilot, honest guv).

Buy online of course and you can try it. If it doesn't work, send it back.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I mount my front light on a Minoura Space Bar to keep it above the level of my handlebar bag, so you could mount the camera on one for the same purpose. I also have a ChilliTech front camera but I’ve not yet used it on my touring bike, but will mount it on the Space Bar when I do.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ianmcdaid

Post by ianmcdaid »

Have you considered this?

https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/handlebar-mounting-set-support

You can raise its height, or even turn it upside-down and mount it under the handlebar bag!
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Oooh. I like that. Good price too.