Joy of plastic pedals and toe clips

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
HughPerson

Re: Joy of plastic pedals and toe clips

Post by HughPerson »

With metal rather than plastic pedals but I've got thoroughly attached (no pun intended) to my toe clips. It's probably just habit now, but they suit me too well to experiment much.

I need something to keep the feet in place in a variety of shoes/weather conditions, and just really appreciate the cheapness and near-indestructibility of the nylon straps. When they have snapped, I've even manually knotted them and they still basically work. Not had any problems detaching in a hurry/falling off in 10 years - yet!

One downside is sometimes very large shoes (I have embarrassingly big feet) won't fit in them. But I guess this would be a problem across the board?
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

I've gone clipless - mobility prob with arthritis - Thermalite cheapo plastic MTB pedals on a Dawes Galaxy.
Amazed to say that once pedalling they don't feel the slightest bit different to my SPDs. Feet feel firmly attached, just so much easier to get on and off. And I can use any old footwear - swimming flippers even!
The only slight loss is that extra bit of pull you sometimes need on a hill. Can't show off any more by thrusting myself up an impossible incline. Just have to stand on the pedals a bit more.
Made me wonder what is the point of clipping in at all, even though I've been doing it for 40 years.
HughPerson

Post by HughPerson »

I like the branding on those pedals - handling "Stolen" good :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bice wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:I have also been taken aback by the number of times I see people fall using clipless pedals ( couldn't unclip in time etc ) this seems to be acceptable as some sort of normal - I saw very little of that when toe clips and straps were common.

Apologies to OP this thread was about plastic pedals. :(

It is a great comment.

My likening for plastic is just that it has advantages for everyday use, especially if living in a city house. As well as not hurting so much if you walk into them, they are more forgiving on furniture, doors etc when moving them about. I am so used to them that metal, even through thick soles, feels harsh. I actually removed a pair from a bike for this reason.

I've done it twice, one with straps in the centre of Oxford (my fault), and once with SPDs in front of a very flighty horse on Lambourn Gallops (plate loosened and wouldn't lever off).

I'm statistically irrelevant :D
Roy Jersey

Post by Roy Jersey »

I've been using plastic pedals and mtb toe clips for the last few years, after having clips and straps before that. They were fitted to my second hand tourer by the bike shop who couldn't quite believe I didn't have any SPD pedals. They've been absolutely fine for me, and I have moved them to my new road bike, which I gather is some kind of sacrilege. This, despite buying some double-sided SPD pedals that are still in the box.
I've done a couple of long tours with them. I need more movement for my right foot than I suspect SPD pedals can give and, combined with stiff-soled mtb shoes, I've been perfectly comfortable for hours in the saddle.
They probably are due for a service, though.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Big fan of MKS GR9 pedals - benefit is, you can use trainers etc.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.