Touring from 12th April?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

Touring from 12th April?

Post by 1982john »

"Domestic holidays will be allowed in England as soon as 12 April, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has today confirmed,"

Is this going to include Wales as well?
Enigmadick

Re: Touring from 12th April?

Post by Enigmadick »

No. Although Wales has been an English colony for many centuries it has its own parliament which is allowed to make its own piddling little rules about Covid and the like. Listen out for new rules from druid Drakeford any time now.

In reality Wales is playing a way smarter game than England by not setting firm dates too far ahead.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

We are waiting to see if we might be able to go to Scotland, but not sure it will be soon-ish am assuming England to begin with....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

1982john wrote:"Domestic holidays will be allowed in England as soon as 12 April, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has today confirmed,"

Is this going to include Wales as well?

I suspect that when travel restrictions are lifted in England there will be a flood of day trippers into Wales so the pressure will be on WAG to either follow suit or look weak and foolish. I can't see road blocks being set up at the border or the police being out in Snowdonia booking hundreds of motorists for flouting Welsh laws. As it is, many people, I assume that most are local residents, are ignoring the "can't travel by car or public transport to start of exercise" law and the police are only fining a few people, at least that what I gather from talking to people and the local media and seeing lots of cars parked along the coast and at the dog walking hot spots.

The next issue will be when holiday accommodation with shared facilities, e.g. campsites and hostel, will open. It looks as if hotels and guesthouses will open first.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Can I just point out that these are not firm dates just the earliest dates these changes can happen? If the state of the various infection measures used isn't sufficiently low for each stage of the roadmap then those dates will be pushed back. In effect there are no dates given only anticipated dates based on current trajectories and sage guidance. If you want to book places on such doubtful dates then that's up to you.

Of course it also means that the general population has already been acting like some of these measures are in place. A popular local walk was full of large groups of multiple families and bubbles walking together without distancing whereas the weekend before there were none of these. The only difference was the announcement that the day after they were up there boris was going to announce the road map.

t's been the same right through the pandemic. Whenever a leaked reduction in the restrictions gets into the media people act like it's in place already and even go further than what actually happens.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Enigmadick wrote:No. Although Wales has been an English colony for many centuries it has its own parliament which is allowed to make its own piddling little rules about Covid and the like. Listen out for new rules from druid Drakeford any time now.

In reality Wales is playing a way smarter game than England by not setting firm dates too far ahead.

And Scotland. Data driven. Not date driven.
I suspect we'll be seeing another spike over summer.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote:Can I just point out that these are not firm dates just the earliest dates these changes can happen? If the state of the various infection measures used isn't sufficiently low for each stage of the roadmap then those dates will be pushed back. In effect there are no dates given only anticipated dates based on current trajectories and sage guidance. If you want to book places on such doubtful dates then that's up to you. .....

Maybe you overlooked one aspect ... Johnson.
Already (one day later) we are getting
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/23/boris-johnson-very-confident-all-covid-restrictions-end-21-june wrote:Boris Johnson 'very optimistic' all Covid restrictions will end on 21 June
Boris Johnson has said he is “very optimistic” all restrictions on normal life in England will end on 21 June ...

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Keep 'em coming, but Tangledmetal's word's are the bottom line:

"that these are not firm dates just the earliest dates these changes can happen"

Plenty of time for some slippage.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Quite a handy graphic from the beeb.
_117172274_calendarroadmaps2-nc.png
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Traction_man wrote:Quite a handy graphic from the beeb.

Nice. Thanks.
I couldn't see one for Scotland. Do you know if there is one?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

simonhill wrote:Keep 'em coming, but Tangledmetal's word's are the bottom line:

"that these are not firm dates just the earliest dates these changes can happen"

Plenty of time for some slippage.

Indeed.
I appreciate hope must be given to counteract the restrictions but I wonder if by having stated those dates it will be harder to extend the various lockdown stages.

Here in Scotland, it's data driven, not date linked/ driven.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

matt2matt2002 wrote:

Nice. Thanks.

I've not seen one for Scotland yet, when it comes I hope the BBC add it and also norn iron too for us over here...

All the best,

Keith
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Traction_man wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:

I've not seen one for Scotland yet, when it comes I hope the BBC add it and also norn iron too for us over here...

The new plan for Scotland, but only in words:
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-02-23/how-lockdown-will-end-in-scotland-as-nicola-sturgeon-announces-route-map-for-easing-restrictions

Jonathan
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Jdsk wrote:
Traction_man wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:I couldn't see one for Scotland. Do you know if there is one?

The new plan for Scotland, but only in words:
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-02-23/how-lockdown-will-end-in-scotland-as-nicola-sturgeon-announces-route-map-for-easing-restrictions

Jonathan

Just spotted this on BBC
_117174010_covid_roadmap_feb2021_2x640-nc.png
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Many thanks
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.