Triple chainset upgrade to MTB tourer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bice

Triple chainset upgrade to MTB tourer

Post by Bice »

What would be a good triple chainset upgrade on this seven-speed to make it a better tourer?

It has an Altus triple chainset: 42, 34, 24. These are nice ratios, although my commuter / light tourer with 700mm wheels is 42, 32, 22, which also seem fine to me.

I have not really thought about the smaller chainrings: is there an strong case for either over the other for touring? I guess lower is better.

The 42T is set by the front mech which is attached to the BB join. If the front mech were much higher it would interfer with the bottle holder.

I had never encountered these BB-mounted front mechs before. They mean the cranks are 2mm further from the frame, but work well with the Altus, where the smallest chainring is set flush with the square taper that mounts to the BB spindle ie no offset.

The Altus is still working fine, but there are signs of wear. I can find Sunrace / Tourney replacements. But I think I would appreciate a qualitative upgrade, too.
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
Thehairs1970

Re: Triple chainset upgrade to MTB tourer

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I’m unsure if you want to go bigger or smaller. However, it’s difficult to answer without knowing about your cassette size too. I would have thought that you could swap to something more modern but might need to ditch that derailleur at the same time. However, a basic one won’t cost too much and you could even pick the whole lot up second hand.
pq

Post by pq »

Your current set-up is probably fine but since you don't say what you're trying to achieve I can't say more. You talk about an "upgrade" but you'll notice no practical difference with a more expensive chainset. Leave it alone unless stuff is worn out or you're not happy with the gear ratios.
One link to your website is enough. G
Bice

Post by Bice »

pq wrote:Your current set-up is probably fine but since you don't say what you're trying to achieve I can't say more. You talk about an "upgrade" but you'll notice no practical difference with a more expensive chainset. Leave it alone unless stuff is worn out or you're not happy with the gear ratios.

Sensible views. No serious reason to swap this out as the Altus still works fine, although it is almost certainly the original chainset.

The bike has some half decent stuff on it now - STX hubs, Sputnik rims, XT rear mech, XTR brakes - having started with a decent frame and cheap components.

I thought there would be some teeth-sucking from serious tourers about a near entry level chainset. I am just lockdown tinkering really, for want of doing much else.

But I will now do a night-time spin through central London, West End and Hyde Park for a 16 miler (again).
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Bice

Post by Bice »

It was a nice tranquil ride at night. Quite a few young about, but Hyde Park was empty at night, but would have been heaving in the nice weather yesterday.

I thought a Deore LX chainset or simlar would be marked improvement on the Altus pressed steel one. Perhaps only in terms of looks. I do enjoy the quality of a nice Cannondale Coda chainset on my commuter.
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
nsew

Post by nsew »

These are nice because the 94/58 bcd allows for a 22t ring. Seller has excellent feedback and cares for their kit. I think they would complement what you have on your bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Xt-M ... 890.l49292

I would swap out the 48 for a 46 to give 46-36-22. Coupled with the 12-32 cassette, this would provide a near perfect loaded touring set up of 18 to 100 gear inches.

If you tell me where the lower bottle cage boss sits in relation to your 42t chainring (ie XXmm above the ring) then I can give you an idea of what will work.

Another option would be to go for one of the Spa chainsets with Zircal rings. It’s not a good time for picking up cranksets off eBay, there’s a lot of overpriced used stuff on there but those XT-m737s are an excellent crank that also look nice.

Bice wrote:Image

What would be a good triple chainset upgrade on this seven-speed to make it a better tourer?

It has an Altus triple chainset: 42, 34, 24. These are nice ratios, although my commuter / light tourer with 700mm wheels is 42, 32, 22, which also seem fine to me.

I have not really thought about the smaller chainrings: is there an strong case for either over the other for touring? I guess lower is better.

The 42T is set by the front mech which is attached to the BB join. If the front mech were much higher it would interfer with the bottle holder.

I had never encountered these BB-mounted front mechs before. They mean the cranks are 2mm further from the frame, but work well with the Altus, where the smallest chainring is set flush with the square taper that mounts to the BB spindle ie no offset.

The Altus is still working fine, but there are signs of wear. I can find Sunrace / Tourney replacements. But I think I would appreciate a qualitative upgrade, too.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

You could upgrade to alivio?

I think that Ali chainrings tend to run quieter than steel ones..

Cheers James
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

On both my mtbs, (XT and campag chainsets),I,ve got steel middle rings i.e.where most of my riding occurs,just a thought.I like hollowtec for the ease of removal and cleaning though unsure about its use with your front mech which,as in a previous post,can be replaced cheaply with a band on allowing more flexibility in your ratios.