Favourite multi-day tours in England & Wales

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pq

Re: Favourite multi-day tours in England & Wales

Post by pq »

My preference is always for mountains, but if you want something gentler, Norfolk is a good choice.
One link to your website is enough. G
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Sweep wrote:You could also do a loop of the lancs coast, st annes- Lytham, blackpool, fleetwood over the knott end ferry.

+1. That's a very cute little ferry - when it's running. From Knott End it's a nice ride through Cockerham and Conder Green, then pick up the canal to pass through Lancaster. At Carnforth you get onto the Morecambe Bay cycle way, that takes you right round to Barrow, which is a strange, remote, exotic place. Then the bird-rich wildness of Walney Island.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nirakaro wrote:
Sweep wrote:You could also do a loop of the lancs coast, st annes- Lytham, blackpool, fleetwood over the knott end ferry.

+1. That's a very cute little ferry - when it's running. From Knott End it's a nice ride through Cockerham and Conder Green, then pick up the canal to pass through Lancaster. At Carnforth you get onto the Morecambe Bay cycle way, that takes you right round to Barrow, which is a strange, remote, exotic place. Then the bird-rich wildness of Walney Island.

exotic Barrow?
Tell me more.
At the risk of flack from some on here, on that route, for a refreshment stop I recommend the spoons in Saint Annes - lots of outdoor seating in a curious spot one street back from the nice main street. Bike shop just round the corner as well. Hope it's still going.
Sweep
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

By 'exotic', I just meant 'quite unlike anywhere else I've been'.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nirakaro wrote:By 'exotic', I just meant 'quite unlike anywhere else I've been'.

yebbut how?
Honest question.
You are just tempting me more with your teasing.
Sweep
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

It just struck me as a very weird place – not very attractive, but certainly interesting. I only cycled through, but got the impression that the town's main industry was dismantling old shipyards. That and building nuclear submarines in a gargantuan shed at the back of Tesco's carpark.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nirakaro wrote:It just struck me as a very weird place – not very attractive, but certainly interesting. I only cycled through, but got the impression that the town's main industry was dismantling old shipyards. That and building nuclear submarines in a gargantuan shed at the back of Tesco's carpark.

Thanks.will try to get there.
Sweep
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

nirakaro wrote:It just struck me as a very weird place – not very attractive, but certainly interesting. I only cycled through, but got the impression that the town's main industry was dismantling old shipyards. That and building nuclear submarines in a gargantuan shed at the back of Tesco's carpark.

Sounds like a quote of Bill Bryson!!!

Cheers James
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Plus, if you liked it enough to fancy a cheap retirement there, there's houses on the market with 'guideline prices' as low as £10k. It's that different from mainstream UK!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

nirakaro wrote:

Better to use the shared-use cycle path from Condor Green to Lancaster. The canal towpath can be muddy in places.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Lincolnshire "Wolds" quite nice, very quiet roads (mostly)and just hilly enough to break the monotony. A week might be a bit of a stretch but OK for a long weekend.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol: