Favourite multi-day tours in England & Wales

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pulseezar

Favourite multi-day tours in England & Wales

Post by pulseezar »

Usually every summer I would head to the continent for a week or so touring with friends. In 2020 we only managed to squeeze in a few days close to home, but this year are planning on doing another proper 4 or 5 day trip in England and/or Wales once lockdown lifts.

I'd love to hear about any recommendations people have for short multi-day tours in the UK. We need to start and finish in places with a train station and intend on staying at B&Bs etc rather than camping. I'd like to do a bit more of Wales so was thinking something like Oxford to Aberyswth via the Elan valley. Whatever we do can't be too hilly as there will be a couple in the group less fit than the others. We were thinking 75kms a day or so, and Sticking to quiet B and C roads is essential.

Thiking about it now it's crazy how little I've explored my own country by bike!

Thanks
Jdsk

Re: Favourite multi-day tours in England & Wales

Post by Jdsk »

There's a recent thread somewhere about routes based in Oxford...

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Try playing with this:
https://cycle.travel/
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

Wales is superb - once they allow us back in!
Campag

Post by Campag »

Northumberland and the Scottish borders would be my choice. Main line train to Berwick or Carlisle, quiet roads, sometimes hilly but often gentle climbs and alternatives to avoid the hardest bits. And lovely scenery. Lots of history with some fantastic castles, abbeys and bridges (Berwick, Norham, St Mary's Loch, Melrose, Kelso, Moffat, Llanercost, etc ....).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:There's a recent thread somewhere about routes based in Oxford...

Found it:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=139924

Jonathan
pulseezar

Post by pulseezar »

Campag wrote:Northumberland and the Scottish borders would be my choice. Main line train to Berwick or Carlisle, quiet roads, sometimes hilly but often gentle climbs and alternatives to avoid the hardest bits. And lovely scenery. Lots of history with some fantastic castles, abbeys and bridges (Berwick, Norham, St Mary's Loch, Melrose, Kelso, Moffat, Llanercost, etc ....).

I totally agree but most of us are from that part of the world, so it's probably the one bit of the country that all of us have already seen a lot of!
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Train to Malton, York, Bridlington or Hull and do the Yorkshire Wolds Cycle Route? 146 miles, a few lumpy bits, plenty of pubs, B & Bs, “heritage coast”, mainly on very quiet roads. Recommended.

Official web site:

http://www.cycleyorkshirewolds.com/route

Unofficial web site:

http://www.yorkshirewoldscycleroute.co. ... hire-wolds

Taking the train to York will give you a few extra miles to get in.
Oggi

Post by Oggi »

Don't exclude the Welsh border. Mainline stations at Newport and Chester for a 2-4 day tour either camping or B&B. If Wales is still not open you can do it without crossing the border but it’s easier if you cross back and too in places.
It’s pretty countryside with pleasant small towns. I took a leisurely 4 days with a half day to include travelling at the start and finish. So 2 days at about 50 miles and 2 about 30 miles. The only busy parts with traffic were getting out of Newport and into Chester.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I did this great short tour last year: https://cycle.travel/route/norfolk
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pulseezar wrote:
Campag wrote:Northumberland and the Scottish borders would be my choice. Main line train to Berwick or Carlisle, quiet roads, sometimes hilly but often gentle climbs and alternatives to avoid the hardest bits. And lovely scenery. Lots of history with some fantastic castles, abbeys and bridges (Berwick, Norham, St Mary's Loch, Melrose, Kelso, Moffat, Llanercost, etc ....).

I totally agree but most of us are from that part of the world, so it's probably the one bit of the country that all of us have already seen a lot of!

If you are based on the East then using the East coast trains will simplify your journey. I had a good little tour last year starting from Scotch Corner you could use Darlington or Northallerton. > York> Filey> Scarborough> Whitby> then to a station of your choice.
If I was getting a West coast train then maybe I’d do Preston > Southport> Liverpool> ferry Cheshire Nrth Wales and back to Warrington maybe.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

pulseezar wrote:Usually every summer I would head to the continent for a week or so touring with friends. In 2020 we only managed to squeeze in a few days close to home, but this year are planning on doing another proper 4 or 5 day trip in England and/or Wales once lockdown lifts.

I'd love to hear about any recommendations people have for short multi-day tours in the UK. We need to start and finish in places with a train station and intend on staying at B&Bs etc rather than camping. I'd like to do a bit more of Wales so was thinking something like Oxford to Aberyswth via the Elan valley. Whatever we do can't be too hilly as there will be a couple in the group less fit than the others. We were thinking 75kms a day or so, and Sticking to quiet B and C roads is essential.

Thiking about it now it's crazy how little I've explored my own country by bike!

Thanks

As you mentioned Oxford, I am assuming that is your starting point so my suggestion is based on there. Take direct train to Hereford, using quieter lanes cycle south and through the golden valley to Hay on Wye. From there route through to Brecon and Llandovery. It is then a fantastic ride up past Llyn Brianne and over the mountain road to Tregaron. You can then make your way to Aberystwyth.

Return from there up to Devil’s Bridge, view the bridge then back track a short distance taking the road to Cwmystwyth. You then have a nice climb up to The Arch and over the mountain road to the head of the Elan Valley lakes. Go through the lakes down to Rhayader. From there go to Llandrindod Wells through the lanes via Hundred House to Kington. Then back to Hereford for the train back to Oxford.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I once did 4 cathedrals - Ripon, York, Beverly and Lincoln. Train to Northallerton or Darlington to start then over to Grantham at the end.

Yorkshire Wolds, Hadrian's Cycleway, round the Cotswolds. Endless potential.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 26 Feb 2021, 5:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Devon?

Stay at oakhampton and you have Dartmoor to the south and exmoor to the north.

Cheers James
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Paulatic wrote:If you are based on the East then using the East coast trains will simplify your journey. I had a good little tour last year starting from Scotch Corner you could use Darlington or Northallerton. > York> Filey> Scarborough> Whitby> then to a station of your choice.
If I was getting a West coast train then maybe I’d do Preston > Southport> Liverpool> ferry Cheshire Nrth Wales and back to Warrington maybe.

Agree that there are some great places up the east coast line - big problem though - i understand that the trains are now damn awful for bikes. West coast far better - if hopping off at preston i would take in the ribble valley, bowland and the yorkshire dales. You could also do a loop of the lancs coast, st annes- Lytham, blackpool, fleetwood over the knott end ferry. Yes blackpool town is in a sad state these days but the prom seaside ride goes on forever.
Sweep