Favourite multi-day tours in England & Wales

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Re: Favourite multi-day tours in England & Wales

Post by honesty »

The Devon coast to coast is a very nice route, and can be done in 3 or 4 relaxed days. You can get a train to Plymouth and Barnstaple for the start/end.

My absolute favourite route in the UK is the Lon Lab Cymru, this may be out because of the not hilly requirement, but I found that you can position it so you have 1 big climb a day and all the climbs whilst long are relatively easy rides. Trains to Chepstow and Cardiff at one end, and Lots of stations at the Anglesey end.

The Pennine cycle way is epic, but probably completely out because of the climbs.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

honesty wrote:
My absolute favourite route in the UK is the Lon Lab Cymru, this may be out because of the not hilly requirement, but I found that you can position it so you have 1 big climb a day and all the climbs whilst long are relatively easy rides. Trains to Chepstow and Cardiff at one end, and Lots of stations at the Anglesey end..

Out of interest, which way would you (or anyone else) recommend for doing that?
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

Sweep wrote:
honesty wrote:
My absolute favourite route in the UK is the Lon Lab Cymru, this may be out because of the not hilly requirement, but I found that you can position it so you have 1 big climb a day and all the climbs whilst long are relatively easy rides. Trains to Chepstow and Cardiff at one end, and Lots of stations at the Anglesey end..

Out of interest, which way would you (or anyone else) recommend for doing that?

I’ve only done it north to south (was going to doing south to north last year...). I’d definitely recommend starting/finishing in Chepstow over Cardiff as you get to see the amazing Gospel pass, and the Taff trail isn’t amazing. N to S the hardest climb was out of Glasbury to Gospel pass, but that was my fault rather than the route. I took the more direct path with had a 25% section...

I’d also skip Anglesey if you’re short on time and start/end in Bangor.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I did Lon Las Cymru from south to north, from Cardiff to Bangor, and if I do it again which hopefully will be this year, I would start in Chepstow or Newport and probably do Anglesey even though it is a bit flat and dull compared with the rest. Merthyr Tydfil was the most depressing section and well worth avoiding; the Gospel Pass is a much better option.

There is a steep hill just north of Llangurig that is easily avoided by using the A470 towards Llanidloes, this part of it is nicely graded, wide and has not been busy or scary whenever I have used it.

There is a very long but not too steep ascent from Staylittle towards Machynlleth followed by an amazing descent that goes on for miles.

The worst ascent is between Corris and Dolgellau and if you can get up that without walking you have my respect!

The NCN sigposting around Harlech is confusing and there are some steep hills if you decide to avoid the A496 coastal road which can be busy. I would recommend getting a map e.g. OS 1/50k. Merthyr Farm campsite is recommended for the views but there is no convenient shop or pub.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yep, I avoided the steep bits between Barmouth and Harlech by sticking to the A496. I had no issues with traffic so didn’t feel the little loops worth it. From Harlech going north, the old main road has been rebadged as the B4573 and is a great road if you don’t want to do the loop up into the hills behind Harlech.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Campag wrote:Northumberland and the Scottish borders would be my choice. Main line train to Berwick or Carlisle, quiet roads, sometimes hilly but often gentle climbs and alternatives to avoid the hardest bits. And lovely scenery. Lots of history with some fantastic castles, abbeys and bridges (Berwick, Norham, St Mary's Loch, Melrose, Kelso, Moffat, Llanercost, etc ....).

Agree: Northumberland and the Borders/Cheviots are beautiful.

In 2017, I took the train to Newcastle and went along the coast to Berwick upon Tweed (via Lindesfarne), and hence to Edinburgh. Great little trip.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

pulseezar wrote:
Campag wrote:Northumberland and the Scottish borders would be my choice. Main line train to Berwick or Carlisle, quiet roads, sometimes hilly but often gentle climbs and alternatives to avoid the hardest bits. And lovely scenery. Lots of history with some fantastic castles, abbeys and bridges (Berwick, Norham, St Mary's Loch, Melrose, Kelso, Moffat, Llanercost, etc ....).

I totally agree but most of us are from that part of the world, so it's probably the one bit of the country that all of us have already seen a lot of!

Not me: I live just outside London.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Oldjohnw wrote:I once did 4 cathedrals - Ripon, York, Beverly and Lincoln. Train to Northallerton or Darlington to start then over to Grantham at the end.

Yorkshire Wolds, Hadrian's Cycleway, round the Cotswolds. Endless potential.

Lovely idea to do cathedrals - jealous- but isn’t Beverley a Minster? It’s a lovely place.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Beverley Minster isn't a cathedral. But it's possible to be both eg York Minster and Lincoln Minster, and, at one time, Ripon Minster.

Jonathan
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Jdsk wrote:Beverley Minster isn't a cathedral. But it's possible to be both eg York Minster and Lincoln Minster, and, at one time, Ripon Minster.

Jonathan

And now Hull Minster. Lincoln is doable from there, but one day I’ll maybe put together that themed Audax DIY ride taking in the minsters of Hull, Beverley, Howden and York: the ‘Minster Munch’. :)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

markjohnobrien wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I once did 4 cathedrals - Ripon, York, Beverly and Lincoln. Train to Northallerton or Darlington to start then over to Grantham at the end.

Yorkshire Wolds, Hadrian's Cycleway, round the Cotswolds. Endless potential.

Lovely idea to do cathedrals - jealous- but isn’t Beverley a Minster? It’s a lovely place.

Yes, I knew it is a Minster but a very fine place and worth 8ncluding 9n the trip ie not excluding on a technicality!
John
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Slightly ashamed to say that I didn't realise what a useful resource the cuk website (as opposed to the forum) is for route ideas.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/category/tags/great-rides
I came across this yesterday evening and spent more time than I should have contemplating various possibilities.
Given that a number of non cuk members come across this forum directly from a search, i wonder if the link back to the main site could be more prominently advertised?
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I'm Irish and live in Cork, but I've a lot of cycling in Britainn, Lejog four times (with CTC), Coast and Castles up to Edinburgh, then train to Newcastle, Hadrian's wall, Pennines and down to a now defunct airport, very good.
12 Days in Yourshire, with 2-3 days in Moors, York and about 9 days in Dales. Superb with great weather.
Coast to Coast from Whitehaven to Newcastle, very good, hard. Began in Edinburgh to Innerleithen, then Hawick, down to Gretna Green, then Carlile to Silloth to Whitehaven. Apart from Gretna Green this was great.
Coast to Coast off-road, Southport to Hull. This was very enjoyable.
Tour of coast of Cornwall and Devon. Very good. Off-season with good weather.
I've been a lot in Scotland but this isn't the subject.
I think Yorkshire is marvellous if you like scenery.
pq

Post by pq »

My preference is always for mountains, but if you want something gentler, Norfolk is a good choice.
One link to your website is enough. G