EU Vaccine Passport

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: EU Vaccine Passport

Post by willem jongman »

And to me at least often incomprehensible. But I am genuinely sorry you are unhappy.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Last night Dutch TV had a long item on Vaccine Passports such as many countries are currently thinking about. It became clear that unless there are common standards the whole idea will be dead in the water. After all, apart from internal use, their primary purpose would be to move effortlessly from one jurisdiction to another. Without a common standard I would not, for example, be able to get into my car (or the train) to travel from the Netherlands, through Germany, then Switzerland and finally into Italy to cycle tour there, as we did in 2019.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The European Parliament has now overwhelmingly approved the plan.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm sitting in a UK briefing on data standards where certification has just been mentioned...

1 There's a technical meeting this afternoon across the five countries of Britain and Ireland.

2 Compliance with the WHO "standard" is thought to be desirable.

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Sounds good.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

A WHO standard seems a great way to go. Will be heading for the US and Central America asap and that should cover us nicely if travel is advisable.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Today, the (European) Commission is proposing that Member States ease the current restrictions on non-essential travel into the EU to take into account the progress of vaccination campaigns and developments in the epidemiological situation worldwide."

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... IP_21_2121
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -from-june

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

This is the most important part:
"In particular, travellers should be able to prove their vaccination status with a Digital Green Certificate issued by Member States' authorities on an individual basis, or with another certificate recognised as equivalent by virtue of a Commission adequacy decision.

Until the Digital Green Certificate is operational, Member States should be able to accept certificates from non-EU countries based on national law, taking into account the ability to verify the authenticity, validity and integrity of the certificate and whether it contains all relevant data.

Member States could consider setting up a portal allowing travellers to ask for the recognition of a vaccination certificate issued by a non-EU country as reliable proof of vaccination and/or for the issuance of a Digital Green Certificate."

So with a bit of luck you guys can come to the EU, but it will be made a lot easier if you can prove your vaccination status. I also notice that in principle vaccination will only count from two weeks after the last (in most cases second) dose, but this requirement may be relaxed if infection rates in your country are deemed low enough. The decision also presupposes reciprocity.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The decision also presupposes reciprocity.
Wont be any time soon then.... 2022?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Depends on the UK. Obviously infection rates in many EU countries are still too high, but they will soon drop to current UK levels and as in the UK will decline even futher, given the rapid rate of vaccination. After that, it will be a matter of system implementation with willing countries.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

al_yrpal wrote: 3 May 2021, 1:02pm
Reciprocity would be baked in had this Johnson's UK administration not opted for the Brexit least likely to allow us to travel freely inside the EU. Which is sad.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

willem jongman wrote: 3 May 2021, 1:08pm Depends on the UK. Obviously infection rates in many EU countries are still too high, but they will soon drop to current UK levels and as in the UK will decline even futher, given the rapid rate of vaccination. After that, it will be a matter of system implementation with willing countries.
Unfortunately, when the European levels drop, by that time the UK could be facing the 4th wave
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
pwa

Post by pwa »

MartinBrice wrote: 4 May 2021, 11:12pm
al_yrpal wrote: 3 May 2021, 1:02pm
Reciprocity would be baked in had this Johnson's UK administration not opted for the Brexit least likely to allow us to travel freely inside the EU. Which is sad.
Sad? I'm not so sure. We should remember that one reason Covid took off so quickly in the UK in early 2020 was UK tourists bringing it back from the ski slopes of northern Italy. The role of our Government in not preventing that is a debate to be had in an official setting. Tourism has the potential to derail progress for the UK and for all other European states, so we should all be viewing any rapid return to normal travel with suspicion. Over-caution and delay are infinitely preferable to letting the guard down too soon. I'd be happier if all non-essential foreign travel did not happen at all until after July, when the last of the second jabs have happened.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'd second that. I've a family in the UK I haven't seen for nearly 18 months and I'd love to see them but I don't want them or myself to travel.
This pandemic isn't over and will throw up some surprises yet.
I'd feel taking the risk and travelling outside your borders is a little irresponsible.
The UK seems to have this pandemic under control and it's reckless to jeopardise this by allowing travel to and from the UK.
Vaccine passports? Yes but it's too soon.