EU Vaccine Passport

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: EU Vaccine Passport

Post by willem jongman »

Indeed, in the end it was much worse. Right now I fear a similar argument going on in the Netherlands where our conservative government will apparently announce tonight that the first restrictions will be relaxed from next week. When I look at the time series of infections and hospital admissions there is really not yet any ground for such optimism. Vaccinations are going very well, but it simply takes time for those to have an effect. If we relax a few weeks too early we may be in deep trouble once again for no other reason than that our government does not like to be impopular and is afraid of the far right loonies. In the meantime, I am so glad my wife and I were vaccinated last Saturday. It feels deeply liberating, even though we know that proper protection will only come in a few weeks' time.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Further crucial step for the Digital Green Certificate: Member States agree on technical specifications"
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... IP_21_1883

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

According to a big UK study today both the AZ and Pfizer vaccines give 65% protection from infection after the 1st jab.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

So the Digital Green Certificate is on track for implementation in June. People in the UK can apply to be included on an individual basis. If the UK meets interoperability standards it can also join at system level.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The effectivity results for a single jab confirm earlier smaller scale studies. This applies even more to the effect on hospitalization or death rates. It is also clear that vaccination reduces transmission, although some risk remains, and hence the need to retain some measures.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ial-travel
It looks as if the UK is not yet discussing compatibility with the EU. The US is.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

mjr wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 12:02pm
ClappedOut wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 11:26am I don't go with Media and Government Hype, who said it will be over by Christmas :lol:
Let us not forget those MPs and media pundits who screamed that talk of 200 deaths a day or 20'000-80'000 dead overall was defeatist scaremongering :(
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit ... tty-134182
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/s ... g-18974560

Many of these are also arguing against vaccination level as an unlocking requirement.
Bad reactions to a vaccine in past, it’s got zero liability if your one of the ones adverse or fatal effects on government yellow card scheme.
Hasn’t finished testing yet.
Statistically more chance of dying in a road accident than of Covid in my age group.

So not eligible anyway, not willing to take something that doesn’t stop you catching Covid, but lessens severity if the cure more risk than the disease.

I will back my point with age related government Death data and fact it has already been through our family and we are not all dead bar one 90 yr old CPOD relative with dementia.

Completely over the media hysteria, work sleep repeat and not dead yet.

It’s a killer of Elderly &co morbid in significant levels.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"COVID-19: NHS app to be used as coronavirus passport for international travel, Grant Shapps confirms"
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-nhs ... s-12289071

"But, in the next couple of weeks, I'll be able to tell you about which countries will have made it into the traffic light system and that 'green' list in particular are the countries wehre you'll be able to go to without needing to quarantine on your return.

"You will still need to take a pre-departure test and one test on your return."

"It will be the NHS app that is used for people when they book appointments with the NHS and so on, to be able to show you've had a vaccine or that you've had testing,"

It isn't clear how much of the UK this covers.

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The report is mainly concerned with the question which countries the UK deems safe enough. That is obviously relevant, but the other half of the process is, of course, permission from destination countries, i.e. compatibility with EU standards. Thus far the UK seems intent on negotiating with individual EU countries, but that makes for a messy system, and is unattractive for the EU. For the UK it would be far more efficient and effective to arrange this at the level of the EU because that is where the system is being built, but it may be politically unattractive to recognize that the EU exists. We shall see. The EU and the US are already in quite advanced discussions.
In the meantime the good news is that many EU countries are advancing rapidly with their vaccinations. Therefore all this discussion of testing and quaranteening is irrelevant. The infection rate will only go down enough once many have been vaccinated, and that is within sight. The plan for the Netherlands is to have everyone vaccinated with at least one dose by early July (and two thirds already with a second dose), but my estimate is that we will be there sooner, at least with the first dose. Since EU countries receive their vaccines from the same allocation system, most other countries will be ready around the same time.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Find the whole situation crazy
Either a place is 100% free of Covid or safe is an illogical political nonsense.

Good luck on NHS app as passport as IOS and Android downloads report it as a niche product aka failure.

Companies have supplied bar codes to pubs and harvested details- want my name and telephone number it's on paper only.

People are screaming about India, 80% plus Vitamin D deprived- doesn't seem to be gov roll out of vitamins.

Media scream but per 100,000 is a true indicator of illness and death as bigger population will have larger reported numbers-these may not be worse than another country when per 100,000.

The data from our government shows this is an illness greatly affecting the elderly, Lockdown protests never discuss the disaster of financial situation of lost jobs and finances- so those smugly sitting on a comfortable income have a luxury others can't afford.

A cliché but we are living our lives or die trying-simply can't afford the hysteria from state and media that has effectively abandoned us.
Ineligible for a vaccine due to prior reactions so how do we go on holiday an unanswered question.

Been to work as much as possible and not one illness or death and money to feed our young family.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

It mostly affected the elderly, but not only. Now that many elderly people in the Netherlands have been vaccinated, the IC units have younger and younger patients in often really bad shape. So let us continue with vaccinations at a rapid pace (as we are doing in the Netherlands).
The economic impact of the pandemic has indeed been serious, but highly variable between countries. In the Netherlands the economy declined 3.8% in 2020, but in the UK almost 10%. Similarly, Covid mortality in the UK has been roughly double of what it has been in the Netherlands or Germany. Unemployment in the Netherlands is also still quite low, and benefits keep most people out of poverty. So my argument would be that it is not just the pandemic, but also the social and political system.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

willem jongman wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 9:05am The report is mainly concerned with the question which countries the UK deems safe enough. That is obviously relevant, but the other half of the process is, of course, permission from destination countries, i.e. compatibility with EU standards. Thus far the UK seems intent on negotiating with individual EU countries, but that makes for a messy system, and is unattractive for the EU. For the UK it would be far more efficient and effective to arrange this at the level of the EU because that is where the system is being built, but it may be politically unattractive to recognize that the EU exists. We shall see. The EU and the US are already in quite advanced discussions.
I would agree but you need to appreciate that to Johnson (and his Brexit buddies) "EU=bad Countries buying our stuff=good".
willem jongman wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 9:05am ...
In the meantime the good news is that many EU countries are advancing rapidly with their vaccinations. Therefore all this discussion of testing and quaranteening is irrelevant. The infection rate will only go down enough once many have been vaccinated, and that is within sight. The plan for the Netherlands is to have everyone vaccinated with at least one dose by early July (and two thirds already with a second dose), but my estimate is that we will be there sooner, at least with the first dose. Since EU countries receive their vaccines from the same allocation system, most other countries will be ready around the same time.
BUT, how many undetected variants that can evade immunity has India created over the last few weeks and will those variants remain in India? And look at the experience in Manus where it's thought herd immunity from natural infection was starting to limit spread, then new Brazilian Variant and there is another wave with people who had natural immunity.

Given Indian politicians really don't want to stop religious and campaign rallies, that they still cant decide about more lockdown and with the delays in the system and testing/reporting shortcomings and with Brazil still in denial and sounds like Johnson will tolerate some pretty extreme impacts in the UK without instigating another lockdown, my cynical view is that we might have our hopes dashed before they start to be realised.

Ian
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I am more optimistic, perhaps because we have less traffic with India. Anyway, flights have been halted. As for vaccinations we largely rely on the Biontech/Pfizer vaccine and that can easily and quickly be updated for a boost dose (I don't know about the AZ that I received). For that purpose the EU has now bought 1.8 billion doses for next year. Of course we shall have to remain vigilant and careful and the Green Passport is part of that.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

I'm of the opinion
1) dead elderly relative
2) partner was ill
3) brother ill
4) friend ill
5) Friend committed suicide

Hysteria simply doesn't fit the reality we saw.
The loss of trading and income I believe it was over egged as a crash had already started.

After being shafted by the state and ineligible for an untested vaccine.

I'm not playing the game anymore on a disease that if the historic NHS bed capacity was maintained and staffing- higher deaths per 100,000 my lifetime.

Just like AIDS a serious issue to those greatly at risk- rest of us don't care any more.

Leaving this thread as unproductive rhetoric
mjr

Post by mjr »

ClappedOut wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 6:14pm Hysteria simply doesn't fit the reality we saw.
The loss of trading and income I believe it was over egged as a crash had already started.
Is reality to you just the few people you know? The thousands of dead are unreal?
After being shafted by the state and ineligible for an untested vaccine.
Untested?
I'm not playing the game anymore on a disease that if the historic NHS bed capacity was maintained and staffing- higher deaths per 100,000 my lifetime.
It is not a game!
Just like AIDS a serious issue to those greatly at risk- rest of us don't care any more.
Maybe you don't. You don't speak for the rest of us.
Leaving this thread as unproductive rhetoric
So why did you post so much unproductive rhetoric?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.