EU Vaccine Passport

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: EU Vaccine Passport

Post by willem jongman »

As I wrote earlier, the EU scheme will be based on vaccination, earlier infection or a recent negative test. Moreover, by the time this will be operational (almost) everyone will have had a chance to be vaccinated. The Dutch planning is that by early July everyone who wants to will have had at least one jab, and some two thirds already a second. So by that time or shortly afterwards it will effectively be about separating those who refused to be vaccinated.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Pretty incendiary stuff from the DM!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ocked.html

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Come on Al: this is peanuts. And how about the hundreds of millions Germany invested in the Biontech vaccine that is still being exported to the UK and many other countries? And how about the money that the EU paid for AZ vaccines that never came?
This kind of jingoism really is not useful.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:Why stop us both - I gain nothing from them being stopped and they lose a lot.

Because a majority of MPs now qualify for the vaccination, so the fear is that not enough would vote to finish the job if it came to it because it doesn't benefit them directly. After all, Boris is not known for consistency and perseverance. More for following the crowd and being distracted by shiny projects that funnel funds to chums.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Here's a simple idea: help yourself by having a vaccination; help others by showing you've had it.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I will indeed have mine as soon as I can. It is still a few weeks off I fear.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

simonineaston wrote: 2 Apr 2021, 7:30pm Here's a simple idea: help yourself by having a vaccination; help others by showing you've had it.
Fully agree - to be vaccinated is a moral decision and one that is socially responsible.

Conversely, to be offered the vaccine and refuse it is not only potentially damaging and dangerous to yourself, but also to others you come into close contact with.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
mjr

Post by mjr »

markjohnobrien wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 1:10pm Conversely, to be offered the vaccine and refuse it is not only potentially damaging and dangerous to yourself, but also to others you come into close contact with.
Except for those with good reason to believe they will suffer severe adverse reactions to the vaccine (such as allergy to a component).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

markjohnobrien wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 1:10pm Conversely, to be offered the vaccine and refuse it is not only potentially damaging and dangerous to yourself, but also to others you come into close contact with.
There are also considerations of "practicality". My "offer" means a 65+ mile round trip with no direct public transport (bus routes are significantly longer than the 65+ miles and several changes and very limited services). Local GP not offering vaccinations. My Mum's local GP not doing vaccinations and she's in a wheelchair and nearest offer 15 miles away (30 mile round trip).

Ian
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

mjr wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 1:57pm
Except for those with good reason to believe they will suffer severe adverse reactions to the vaccine (such as allergy to a component).
Of course. I have a relative who has a severely damaged immune system, and a lot of discussion with his consultant took place in advance of the jab being offered.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Psamathe wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 2:02pm
There are also considerations of "practicality". My "offer" means a 65+ mile round trip with no direct public transport (bus routes are significantly longer than the 65+ miles and several changes and very limited services). Local GP not offering vaccinations. My Mum's local GP not doing vaccinations and she's in a wheelchair and nearest offer 15 miles away (30 mile round trip).

Ian
Yes, this must be difficult. I’m lucky in that one of the largest vaccination centres in London is five minutes walk from my office. Pure luck, really.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI the project being tentatively spun - ie checked against public opinion - would record immunity status, of which "vaccinated" is but one. It would apparently record negative tests, immunity gained through infection and being unsuitable for vaccination.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 2:23pm AIUI the project being tentatively spun - ie checked against public opinion - would record immunity status, of which "vaccinated" is but one. It would apparently record negative tests, immunity gained through infection and being unsuitable for vaccination.
(Re: UK domestic Covid Status Scheme)
Which is why I can't understand all the cried of "discrimination". If you don't want the vaccine then you have the option of getting tested (as I understand the plans).

I would also think that medical exemption should be included under any such "Covid Status" certificates, just as it is for Yellow Fever certificates (where you Dr fills out a medical exemption and that exemption has a limited validity after which if you need the certificate you get another exemption or vaccinated). Given that it's all about probabilities and "reduced risk" rather than "eliminated risk" (we still don't know the extend vaccination prevents spreading) mixing is an unknown group is lower personal risk for a vaccinated person that a medically exempt person (vaccinated person unlikely to get seriously ill whereas exempt person still at full risk or worse depending on reasons for exemption).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Re: UK Domestic Covid Status Scheme
One aspect that disappoints me is the Government's focus on big events (football matches, festivals, theatres, etc.). To my mind equally important is the vast numbers of local clubs and associations (photographic clubs, astronomy clubs, Natural History Clubs, WI, etc., etc.) who cumulatively may far surpass the festivals/football/theatre audiences. And many of those small local clubs do a lot of community work, charity work (many are charities). Would be nice to have some thought about opening those up again.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 2:45pm Re: UK Domestic Covid Status Scheme
One aspect that disappoints me is the Government's focus on big events (football matches, festivals, theatres, etc.). To my mind equally important is the vast numbers of local clubs and associations (photographic clubs, astronomy clubs, Natural History Clubs, WI, etc., etc.) who cumulatively may far surpass the festivals/football/theatre audiences. And many of those small local clubs do a lot of community work, charity work (many are charities). Would be nice to have some thought about opening those up again.
Little clubs don't donate the health minister's constituency office.